CHC50113- Supporting children's successful participation

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

CHC50113- Supporting children's successful participation

Post by bubbler12 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:33 am

Within an early childhood eduction and care service, an educator may experience children and families with a range of identified additional needs ( requiring specific considerations). Additional needs encompass a diverse spectrum of characteristics, varying according to each individual child and family. These additional needs may require further consideration by the educator to support the full inclusion of the child and to ensure their special rights are met.
For each category listed below you will be required to provide an example of an additional need relevant to each category. Within you example you will need to provide a brief explanation of the additional need and how you could support access and participation with the early learning environment
1. Behavioural or psychological disorder
2. children at risk of harm
3. Family circumstance and needs
4. Health and
5. Physical, sensory or developmental disability

What I have so far
1. A psychological disorder, also known as a mental disorder, is a pattern of behavioral or psychological symptoms that impact multiple life areas and/or create distress for the person experiencing these symptoms. The way I can support this in early childhood education and care service is by working along the child and setting up experiences that they are interested in
2. children at risk of harm- is known as when young children are at a risk of abuse, harm or neglect. They way I would support this in childcare would be by reporting it to child protection and listen to the child and comfort the child when needed
3. Most families are vulnerable at some stage, and some difficulties can affect children into adulthood. For example, research shows that emotional and behavioural difficulties early in life can be linked to behaviour problems – such as poor academic performance, relationship problems and crime – in adolescence and adulthood. I would support this by following there concern or needs up with the center director
4. Health- It is known for the body and mind it is important to have a good healthy diet. I would provide the children with healthy food choices
5. Developmental Disability means a disability that is manifested before the person reaches twenty-two (22) years of age, which constitutes a substantial disability to the affected individual, and is attributable to mental retardation or related conditions which include cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism or other neurological conditions when such conditions result in impairment of general intellectual functioning or adaptive behavior similar to that of a person with mental retardation. I would work along side the family and child and help them as much as I can

Lorina

Re: CHC50113- Supporting children's successful participation

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:51 am

For each of the points your responses are very general... You need to be specific for the additional need you have selected for supporting access and participation. Read through the following information and see if it helps:

Additional Needs and Mental Health

Inclusion Toolkit

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bubbler12 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks could you please give me a example of what I should be writing thankyou

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:18 pm

How about you read the info I suggested and you give me an example and then we can go from there...

Lorina

bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bubbler12 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:51 am

Behavioural or psychological disorder-
The example that I am using is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) it is a medical condition where children act before they think, have trouble focusing and can’t sit still a lot of the time. At the early education and care service I was reading the children a book at meeting time and a boy in my room that has been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder didn’t sit still while I was reading the story to the children. The boy kept moving his upper body forward and back, making load noises while moving his head side to side and his arms backward and forward.
The way I could support access and participate is by working collaborative with the family and health professionals to develop a behaviour management plan which can make the behaviour easier to handle, keep instructions simple, short and clear this helps the child to understand it better and the educators should work closely with the child to minimize visual distractions.

bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bubbler12 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:52 am

Is this alright am I on track

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Yes! That's a great response! You identified the issue through an experience and then used strategies to support the child for that particular issue! Awesome!

:geek: ,
Lorina

bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bubbler12 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:37 pm

Thank you, I am just suck on this one children at risk of harm. I am not sure what additional need I should be writing for this I have researched but still unsure could you please direct me in the right direction for this one?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:59 am

See if the following helps:

[attachment=0]child abuse handbook.pdf[/attachment]
Lorina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bubbler12 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:36 am

Thanks and I am a bit unsure of Family circumstance and needs Health, I am not sure what additional needs I should be writing for them both I have research but I can't find anything

bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bubbler12 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 pm

Is the family circumstance and needs be something like a death in the family or the parents separated?

bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bubbler12 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:42 pm

is rhe Family circumstance and needs something like a death in the family or parents separated?

bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bubbler12 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:19 pm

I was just wondering if this was on the right track for children at risk of harm

The example that I am using is emotional abuse it is anything that seriously hurts a child mentally or emotionally. This could include being exposed to constant put downs and verbal attacks, responds rejection or violence in the home. At the early education and care service there is a girl in my room which her parents argue and disrespect each other at her centre environment and I am suspecting this is happening in her home environment as well. When the girl comes to the early education and care service she sits on the couch everyday feeling alone, not loved or trust in anyone and this has destroy the child self-esteem. The way I could support access and participate is by finding out what is happen, if it is happening in her home environment as well and the steps need to be taken to protect the child. Since I am seeing her parents argue and disrespect each other at the early childhood education and care and by contacting child protection advisor which will give me more detail on how to deal with the situation. The educators should try able build a trusting relationship with the child so that the child may feel loved overtime.

Childcarer1

Post by Childcarer1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Family circumstance and needs reflect the child's situation, what' going on in their Liv that may not be the normal occurrence, thus interrupts the child's behaviour and everyday actions. For example a child whose father has been deployed overseas would be a family circumstance and the need would be for you to offer reassurance and stability to this child to reaffirm his position in his world and let him know everything will be ok. You could go further and introduce a Skype type set up in home corner (a box like a computer monitor but a big square hole and kids can pretend to Skype each other, or do a special art piece to send to his Dad.
Hope this helps ;)

bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bubbler12 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks that helps heaps and I was just wondering about the help one?

bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bubbler12 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:36 pm

thanks that heaps heaps I was just wondering about the health one?

Childcarer1

Post by Childcarer1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Sorry, I'm a Newby, I did see the first page... Lol... Makes kore sense now lol

bubbler12
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bubbler12 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:25 pm

Have you got any idea on the health one?

Childcarer1

Post by Childcarer1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:28 pm

If it was me I'd read up more on the health surrounding the age group you are targeting, then identify an additional need (allergy to a certain food, a form of disability etc...) and relate how you can help the child feel included in her class not excluded by her additional need.

Sometimes they just need to ask the questions more simply, you would have nailed this one if they didn't dance around with fancy words :D

Childcarer1

Post by Childcarer1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Does that help?