Moving from permanent to casual

Questions on working as a casual. Such as job responsibilities, what to do, finding casual work etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
spd
Participator
Participator

Moving from permanent to casual

Post by spd » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:23 am

Hi,
I was with one of the top employer for over 5 years as a permanent educator, then last year I moved as a casual educator for an agency and worked for over 1 year and due to insufficient of shifts, I had to leave agency job. I did go back the same employer for a full time role.
The previous director was so good enough to offer me a full time role.

And now the problem is I am finding so hard to do full time, because I am struggling with observations as I’m really weak with observation , daily reflection and finds so stressed with so many paperwork.
I come to work stressed and go back home stressed. I am finding hard to manage family commitments and work stress. It’s been over a month at the full time and I already feel stressed.
I haven’t told this to my director. And also I do not want to leave this employer again.
Since there were shortages for permanent staff, the director was so happy to offer me full time role.

I want to go back to permanent casual
At the same center with fixed hours, in that way I don’t have to do much of paperwork and no observation.
The worry is, if I tell my director about converting me to casual role , how would she react.
Please give my suggestions on how to approach my director to move me to casual role at the same center.
I don’t my director and other staff to feel upset with my decision.
Please help me. Need your inputs.

Lorina

Re: Moving from permanent to casual

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:41 pm

Hi!

Has this been resolved?

:geek:,
Lorina

spd
Participator
Participator

Post by spd » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:50 pm

No not yet. Still I’m working as a full time permanent educator.
It’s a real struggle everyday for me.
I do not know how do I approach my director to put me back to casual.
I know she would be really upset with my decisions.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:00 pm

The problem is that if you move to a casual role she will have to find another Educator to fill in your permanent role. Also, she may not offer you the casual role and simply ask you to leave and you will have to look for another job.

What is your position? Assistant Educator or Room Leader?

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:02 pm

In regards to the Observation, what are you struggling with?

What paperwork are you having to complete daily?

Lorina

spd
Participator
Participator

Post by spd » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:07 pm

My position is assistant educator in kinder room.
The kindergarten teacher is new and not supportive. She don’t do any changes in the room like setting up experiences for the children, observation , daily reflection, guiding children to pack up and lots of other things. It is putting me in stress everyday. At the same time I’m trying my best to do 100% in my room.
I can’t handle too much street like this.
I really need to move from this permanent role.

Too many paper work, documentation.
I don’t have any time to sit with the children.
I feel bad for the children in our room.
Don’t know why this industry is like this. Permanent staff hardly get time to sit with the children and talk

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:23 pm

Even though the Kindy Teacher is new it is not your job or responsibility to have so much stress over programming, planning and all the documentation. That is the responsibility of the Kindy Teacher.

You are there to assist and support not to manage all the paperwork and run the room because the Kindy Teacher is new.

Is she having so much stress like you?

Do what you need to do to assist but dont allow her to take advantage of you... if she doesnt do it then you do it and she doesnt have to worry about it... that's not right at all!

Cut back on what you are doing and she needs to step up.

Help but dont do everything! That is not your position to do so!

Lorina