under roof child staff ratio

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
nilima

under roof child staff ratio

Post by nilima » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:26 am

Hi girls,
I work in babies room(victoria) as a qualified. I have 5 / 6 children 4 days a week. When I ask for a staff but my director is saying under a roof you are fine with ratio because next door educator have 2 or 3 children and you can ask her for help or You can send child for play while other are sleeping. It is so hard to work with 5/6 babies , l am struggling to follow their routine, they depends on me for everthing and I can understand that.

Is this right? I want to read about under the roof ratio?

Plz help me I am getting stress.

megs_95
Helper
Helper

Re: under roof child staff ratio

Post by megs_95 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:28 am

There is another topic on this with more info here: New Under the Roof Guidelines?

So it's my understanding that technically what you're experiencing is allowed, however it's ridiculous especially in a babies room!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:10 am

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. It's difficult working with the babies and it's even more so in your case. Since your director said that next door educator has only 2/3 children why can't you just team up throughout the day? Also, these under the roof guidelines are confusing... The ratio states for babies under 24 months is 1:4. Here is the following staffing guide for QLD centres:

http://deta.qld.gov.au/earlychildhood/o ... ffing.html

It doesn't mention anything in the regulations about "under the roof"...at all! I am going to contact the department to find out if they can give any more information on this issue so we can find out exactly what "under the roof" means.

I'll let you know once I get more information and I'm sorry I can't be of more help,

:geek:,
L.A

chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

Post by chrissy201307 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:27 am

I m confused as well. Our centre is quite strict with the ratio. Even when chn sleeping/settled, no one should leave the room to quickly get bibs/paper towel... or pack up the yard. And staff who close have to work overtime half an hour everyday. How the other centre organise this please.

Thanks
Wendy

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:09 am

wenda201307 wrote:I m confused as well. Our centre is quite strict with the ratio. Even when chn sleeping/settled, no one should leave the room to quickly get bibs/paper towel... or pack up the yard. And staff who close have to work overtime half an hour everyday. How the other centre organise this please.

Hopefully those educators working overtime are being compensated through overtime or time in lieu otherwise you need to bring that issue up with management...

In regards to ratio during rest time etc. these have been discussed in the following topics where I've added information from the regulations which you may find useful:

Ratio's During Rest Time
Ratios in Childcare

Hope this helps,

L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:07 am

I recently contacted the Department of Education, Training and Employment in regards to the under the roof guidelines and this is the response I received. I have highlighted in bold and italics the information regarding what I believe to be "under the roof":
Thank you for your email enquiry dated 13 September 2014 regarding ‘under the roof’ ratios.

The Department of Education, Training and Employment (the Department) is the Regulatory Authority responsible for the regulation of education and care services in Queensland under the National Quality Framework (NQF). The NQF comprises the Education and Care Services National Law (the National Law) and the Education and Care Services National Regulations (National Regulations) that apply to education and care services including most long day care centres, pre-Prep, outside school hours care services, family day care and kindergartens. Whilst most services in Queensland are regulated under the NQF, a small number of services are captured by the Queensland Education and Care Services Act 2013.

The NQF includes the National Quality Standard (the NQS) intended to promote continuous quality improvement in education and care. The Department’s website at provides useful information and resources tailored to support the implementation of the NQF in Queensland.

The Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) is the national entity overseeing the NQF in education and care services in Australia. Valuable resources including copies of the National Law and National Regulation are available on the ACECQA website.

Educator to child ratios and qualification requirements
Under the National Law, an Approved Provider of a centre based service must comply with staffing arrangements outlined in Part 4.4 of the National Regulations. This includes educator to child ratios outlined in regulation 123 and qualification requirements outlined in regulations 125 to 135, which are dependent on the size and nature of the service. In addition, Queensland also has some specific transitional provisions that also currently apply. Attached is a fact sheet which outlines the staffing requirements and qualifications in Queensland including time frames for any transitional provisions.

In accordance with regulation 121, the minimum number of educators and their qualification requirements are calculated across the service, regardless of the individual room configuration. This means that ratios are not calculated on the number of children and educators present in a ‘room’ or ‘group’. This flexibility in calculating ratios allows services the ability to tailor the operation of their service to meet the needs of families and children enrolled.

The ratio required is always calculated according to the youngest age of the child allocated to an educator for the purposes of calculating ratios. Under regulation 122 the educator must be ‘working directly with children’ at the service. Regulation 13 of the National Regulations defines ‘working directly with children’ as being both physically present with the children and being directly engaged in providing education and care to the children. Please note that an educator is still considered to be working directly with children for the purposes of the educator to child ratio requirements if they are taking a rest pause or are briefly absent in accordance with Regulations 313-317.

Adequate supervision
The educator to child ratios outlined in the National Regulations provides the minimum requirements which education and care services must meet. The Approved Provider needs to consider the size and composition of groups for educators to achieve quality education, health, safety and wellbeing outcomes for children. Beyond complying with the minimum ratios, under section 165 of the National Law, the Approved Provider and Nominated Supervisor must ensure that children being educated and cared for by the service are adequately supervised at all times.

National Quality Standards
The NQF also introduces the National Quality Standard (NQS) which is intended to promote continuous quality improvement in education and care. Services are assessed and rated against the seven quality areas of the NQS.

When considering ratios and the NQS, Approved Providers are also required to refer to the following Quality Areas within the NQS:
- Quality Area 2 – Children’s Health and Safety;
- Quality Area 3 – Physical Environment;
- Quality Area 4 – Staffing Arrangements; and
- Quality Area 5 – Relationships with Children.

Additional resources
An illustration of how ratios may be applied across a service is available on the ACECQA website.

A podcast which explains about how ratios can be applied across a service is available on the Department’s website.

It should be noted that while there are resources available, it is prudent for approved providers to seek their own legal advice to ensure that they are complying with the legislation.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, I invite you to contact Ms Louise Doble, Principal Program Officer, Regulation, Assessment and Service Quality, by email at louise.doble@dete.qld.gov.au or on telephone 07 3328 6795.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Just wanted to share this information with you all,

L.A