Sleep Time. Children's needs vs Parents

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Sleep Time. Children's needs vs Parents

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Just wondering what the sleep/rest policy is at other centres.
Our one is not very definitive in what it says and in the Kindy Room the staff are frustrated with parents wanting them to keep their children awake or wake them immediately if they fall asleep and then they are ending up battling very sleepy children who then are not coping because they have had no sleep but if allowed to then parents getting annoyed.

What is the min you keep your 3-5's on their beds. Is this clear in your policy so that staff have something to turn to when parents complain?

These staff are not patting the children but they kids are falling asleep wherever they are if they are kept off their beds and forced to stay awake. When we don't force them to sleep how can we force them to stay awake :?

Lorina

Re: Sleep Time. Children's needs vs Parents

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:20 am

Regarding sleeping in the preschool room, at my last centre it was mandatory for all children to rest on their beds for 30 minutes. If children fall asleep within this time, then they have 30 minutes of rest until they are woken up. After they finished their mandatory rest period they continue onto the school readiness program. Also during the 30 minutes of resting, children were given books to read while they rested.

There were some children whose parents allowed them to sleep during rest time but only for a certain amount of time (45 minutes for example). Only if the parent asks then we will wake up the child if not we will let them sleep up until rest time is over.

It can be hard at times especially when some children really need a sleep but aren't able to because then they won't sleep at home. During this time I usually will ring the parent just to let them know. It doesn't happen often only occasionally.

It's best if you are introducing a new sleep policy to make parents aware of the procedures in place. Just so everyone is aware...

Anyways, I found this...In the regulations it states that:

Sleep and rest

(1) The approved provider of an education and care service must take reasonable steps to ensure that the needs for sleep and rest of children being educated and cared for by the service are met, having regard to the ages, development stages and individual needs of the children.

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:50 am

thanks LA
I was thinking along those lines
our sleep policy is not very definitive in what it says which does not help staff when approaching parents regarding these issues

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:29 am

Our sleep policy was updated recently. I know its only FDC but the Rules and Regs in this area I believe are very similar.

· If a parent requests that a child does not have a sleep, the Educator must firstly
consider the child’s needs and allow the child to sleep if they show signs of
tiredness; parents will be informed of their child’s sleeping times.

Taken from Quality Area 2, Element 2.1.2
Each child’s comfort is provided for and there are appropriate opportunities to meet each child’s need for sleep, rest and relaxation.

So we are able to tell parents that if their child does fall asleep that we are meeting National Regulations in this matter. And as always the child's needs are our number 1 priority.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:23 am

Thanks Lindy, unfortunately sometimes parents seem not to understand this and think we are just being difficult or not helpful

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:31 am

I know exactly what you mean. We were in the same position.
Which is why our scheme did the policy up. it was the bane of our day.
We now have the regs and policy to back us up.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:39 am

we have a sleep & rest policy but its just doesn't define anything really e.g. children must have at least 1/2 hr on beds of quiet time or rest

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:46 am

Isnt it crazy.
Once upon a time common sense prevailed. Now we have to cover our rear ends every step of the way. :(

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:49 am

I know its just ridiculous