Rotating To Cover Other Room

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

Rotating To Cover Other Room

Post by chrissy201307 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:52 pm

hi everyone',

I m a new room leader working with experienced co- workers: one c3, tWo Diploma. Every afternoon one of our staff should go cover other 2 room's A/T break and one hour planning. Actually I m happy to walk to another room stay 20mins and have fun, however, I feel as a leader I d better stay in room to focus on my job, and when Back to the room I felt distracted.

Another side is: my coworkers may quite care about " fairness"- everyone should better be same.
To make it easy, I wanna make it (which day who cover)set . So what is the best way for us to rotate?

Thanks
Wendy

Lorina

Re: Rotating To Cover Other Room

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:47 am

Since you're the room leader I don't think it's up to you to cover shifts. You need to be in the room at all times during the day as you are the room leader. You shouldn't be worried about fairness, you have to do what's right and you leaving the room to cover shifts I dont think that's right or fair on your behalf.

Why dont you choose 1 staff per week to work in the other room... So each day the same educator covers the shift for the week, then the following week you change educators etc.

:geek:,
Lorina

chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

Post by chrissy201307 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:34 pm

We had a talk, they believe weekly is too much for them, bcs they wanna spend time with children.

They asked me any job I wanna do I can tell them and we share. So I have no need to feel pressured of undone jobs or plans, which means they prefer me to cover break as well. But I just need more time to stay in room. I said I v already out of room for planning, for RL meeting, catch-up with programming leader... They seemed believe what RL's role is like.

If u in same situation what should I do.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:18 am

If you are already out of the room so often I dont think it's fair on you to cover breaks as well... So, you have 3 staff and 5 days to cover for breaks.. You could ask 1 staff to take 2 extra break covers during the week or split the up between 3 staff... Either way 1 or 2 staff are going to have to do an extra day or 2 in the other rooms... why dont you talk to your room staff and tell them that you're trying to make it fair and see what they say...maybe 1 wont mind having an extra day, in the other room. You have to tell them that you wont be able to cover the breaks because you need to be in the room, so with the three of them come up with a solution...

:geek:,
Lorina