Legalities over head lice

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Nimue1981

Legalities over head lice

Post by Nimue1981 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi all,
I apologise if this has been has been discussed already I am just not sure where else to turn as I have tried doing some research and come up blank. What are the legalities over checking my school age children's heads for head lice at my OOSH centre? I am worried there are some privacy laws and regulations involved but I cant find anything specific. Our policy quite clearly states that children with head lice can be sent home, However are we allowed to check for them? I feel they are classed as an infectious disease and therefore we should be able to check (otherwise we could be sending children home under the suspicion of head lice when they could just be sweaty). Any help would be fantastic thanks so much in advance.
Rachel

Lorina

Re: Legalities over head lice

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:04 am

Hi Rachel,

At all centres I have worked at if we have suspicion of head lice we just automatically check for lice ourselves using gloves etc. I didn't even consider that there was an issue to do this until I read your question. I have done a little research and headlice does fall under "preventing infectious diseases" which I checked in the "5th Edition of Staying Healing in EC". From here I went to the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development and found the Head Lice Management Toolkit. This toolkit provides all the information needed for preventing and treating headlice etc. It also states that parental consent needs to be given to check a child's head for lice by a trained person or an approved person. It continues to say:
Person’s authorised by the school principal may also visually check your child’s hair for the presence of head lice, when it is suspected that head lice may be present. They do not physically touch the child’s head during a visual check.

I'm adding the information below for your reference:
Head Lice Management Toolkit

I understand that this is mentioned for schools but I believe it would be the same for an OOSH setting as well. Instead of principal it would be the director of the service. So, before checking a child's hair for lice you need consent and you can't touch their hair. I think it's probably easier to let the parent know you suspect lice and ask them to check their child's hair at home....

Will that's the end of my head lice checking days! :giggle:

:geek:,
L.A

-

Taylor92

Re: Legalities over head lice

Post by Taylor92 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:41 pm

HI

I have recently reviewed our policy on head-lice and If a child has head lice they are sent home to be treated, once treated they may return to the center.
on the topic of checking children for head-lice i was under the impression we are not allowed to do this UNLESS we see something in the child's hair that causes concern or we see them stratching etc.
Hope this helps :thumbup: