Integrate Services - Having Children Playing All In the One Outdoor Space

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

Integrate Services - Having Children Playing All In the One Outdoor Space

Post by chrissy201307 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Currently I work in a toddler room(1.5-2yrs) in a long day care. 2 or 3 years ago our all children(except babies) including kinder were sharing a big yard. Due to injury accidents happening, staff concerned about young children's safety and routine being impacted, the management helped set up a fence with a gate between under 2.5 and above. and with educators' supervision, young/older children are welcome to open the gate to visit each other anytime.

Currently the centre emplyed a new management group, they believe that the 'integrate services' support chn's agency, and the other child care in melbourne are also providing wth intergrate service. theresfore they decided to move the fence away, supporting children explore learning envionment around the whole centre. In meetings group leaders suggested to just keep the gate open and start from a trial bcs they know a few years ago what happened when kinder rushed to our yard, and the staff who are busy with nappy change and settling chlidren, were anxious. however some part of fence still was moved this week. We were told 'we should care all the children in the centre', if a toddler playing in kinder, the kinder teacher can change nappy if available, otherwise give the staff a call to come and change. My age group they have nappy change need almost every 20-30 mins, if i am kinder teacher busy teaching my program with my chn, i m afraid dont always remember to check/change nappy. and some of my chn with behaviour problem, need to be carried and walk back to our room, that woud be a big exercise to pick up each child walking back to nappy change again and agian. your sore back makes u just feel frustrated and every morning dont want to work.

Another example is they liked the idea that kinder chn come and pat toddler to sleep: the room leader in toddler group believe her whole group wont sleep if a child pat them.

If moving the fence is for children are able to move everywhere they want, what the main thing we gonna do would be busy with communicating to all room 'where are my children'/ ' careful this kid do biting'..., and walking across the yard to look for the child who need nappy change... if we talk with children before going then take the children there, it is still 'limiting' chidren's agency..

A week ago, i moved from prekinder to this age group, i know i am more stressed and worried than others may because i havent 100% known each individual. but heared most staff believe moving away the fence makes them more focus on where are the children, which room i should call to tell my team partner take our kids back for group time... instead of more attention on chn's learning, adult teaching.

For the management team, i see they cost money and time on training and updating the settings, to support the service to improve and work towards good education quality, but they are not being understood and valued. and staff also reckon their voice and opinion not being listened and valued either. in my opinion do the changes they made really suits this centre's situation(are children/staff able to cope?)? if it is really good for chn what can staff do to cope with the changes and challenge?

Thanks
Wendy
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Integrate Services - Having Children Playing All In the One Outdoor Space

Post by Lorina » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:48 am

It's not uncommon for children to share the one yard. Although I completely understand from personal experience how stressful it can be trying to manage your group of children in and amongst the other children as well. Is it necessary to have all the children in the yard at once? Can't you change each room routines so you can spend time outside with just your group. At my previous centre, the toddlers and preschoolers had to share the outdoor environment however we worked out a routine where we were able to spend time outside with our own group without being interrupted by the others. In the afternoon (after we had completed afternoon tea) then we all joined together in the playground. Even the babies joined in at times (they had a separate area though). Since all the children were outside during the afternoon we had all the staff outside to. Each of us supervised "areas" and were responsible for who was playing in that area. However, with nappy changes my staff and I from the toddler room were responsible for them so when it came to nappy changes we did them when we had to. The staff from the babies room were responsible for theirs etc. Sometimes I think management don't think of the practically of what's best and just because it works for one service doesn't mean it will work for all. I think you should gather a list of your issues from your staff and address these to management.

Like I said maybe work out a routine where you can all take your group out one at a time for a little while...

:geek:
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:53 am

Hi Wenda,
Sounds like you have a really difficult situation on your hands, managements can be so out of touch on what actually happens and how things work.
It all looks good on paper. Unfortunately it doesn't matter what industry anyone works in these days we all have a similar problem.
Management, so out of touch.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

Post by chrissy201307 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks Linsaa, good to know it is a common issue. Just wanna say maybe being supported by management to adjust this change is better than being pushed .

chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

Post by chrissy201307 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:35 am

Thank u Lorina. Seems your team working quite well with your strategies, sounds like very nice. I used to discuss with my leader about working out a routine. She believes the policy is for both outdoor and indoor. so except bad weather we should keep the door open any time For children to choose where to play, otherwise it is not fair for chn. Oops well, I don't knew what to say then.

Wenda

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:42 am

I agree :wave: