Heat Conditions - Hot Weather

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Sarah.Davidson

Heat Conditions - Hot Weather

Post by Sarah.Davidson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any information or knowledge of what the temperature indoors should be set at. I work in an OOSH center (located in a school hall) which does not have any form of air conditioning. No Fans, nothing! We have 2 sliding doors and a "ventilation system" (vents around the bottom of the hall) however on 40 degree days with 110+ children and educators it isn't pleasant at all. The school has offered us air conditioned rooms which is great but inconvenient at the same time as the children are unsettled and often bored as we can not bring all our resources and toys and craft experiences down with us.
Does anyone know what the maximum temperature should be allowed or know a loop hole that we could use to try and get some form of air con installed in the hall. I've looked in the Regulations and there is nothing stated about temperatures.
We have had parents etc write many emails but nothing seems to be working. I thought if there is a max temp involved we could use this as a bit more of a backup. I know in child care center, nursery rooms for example temperatures must be set between 18-22 in order to keep children safe.

Not only do we need to keep children safe, but the wellbeing of educators is on the line aswell. We don't have a permanent set up, we have to pack away heavy tables and chairs every morning and afternoon and in extreme weather can be dangerous.

I hope this makes sense and will appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Thanks
Sarah

Lorina

Re: Heat Conditions - How Weather

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi Sarah,

The heat is pretty full on and it must be pretty uncomfortable there for you, educators and the children so I can understand that you want to cool the hall down!

I don't know in regards of temperatures and how you can go about installing air cons in the hall but I'll look into it for you...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Heat Conditions - Hot Weather

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Just an update - I've tried looking but unable to find any information. I've contacted an external support service to get some information for you. So, hopefully, I'll get some useful info to share with you.

I will let you know once I get a response from them!

Lorina

Sarah.Davidson

Post by Sarah.Davidson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:43 am

Thankyou Lorina :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:49 pm

You're welcome!

Still waiting for a response...