Educational Leader - Roles, Responsibilities and Qualifications

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ELM95

Educational Leader - Roles, Responsibilities and Qualifications

Post by ELM95 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:05 pm

The new Childcare Regulations 118- states the approved provider of an education and care service must designate, in writing, a suitably qualified and experienced educator, co-ordinator or other individual as educational leader at the service to lead the development and implementation of educational programs in the service.

What do you think this involves for and EDUCATOR? who may be intersted.
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Educational Leader

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi Tinkerbell,

I just had a look at the Regulation and to me I think that this certain individual must lead their team in implementing the Framework at their service. So, this could be introducing new ideas on ways to improve documentation at the centre, making sure that the program and documentation complies with the NQS, supporting other team members in programming etc. For someone to be "qualified" I think this individual may have to have their diploma. I'm not too sure if what I written is correct but this is my understanding of it.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

ELM95

Post by ELM95 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks L.A.
I agree with your ideas.... just wondering how best to do this in a FDC Setting .....any thoughts on this?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm not too sure about how to go about this (I work in LDC). However, in FDC you could probably nominate yourself since you are already doing it all anyway... Then again I'm not 100% sure...

trace48

Post by trace48 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:32 pm

I asked a question on the wall before about qualified staff. Does a nominated supervisor have to be qualified in children's services or have a diploma in children's services? What I mean is can a unqualified person can be the nominated supervisor if the supervisor is on leave, for a period of around a week's time?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi Tracy,

When using "MY WALL" you will first need to add friends to your "friends list". Only the people on your friends list is able to see the comments made on your wall. Click on the link to read more info on using "MY WALL": http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/f ... -t416.html

In regards to your question, from what I understand the nominated supervisor needs to have a diploma qualification to qualify for this position. You will probably also need to include references, documentation etc on the person to be nominated. Have you checked out the regulations yet?

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Just to let you know that I have placed this topic into the forum called "Supporting Childcare Workers At Work". Please post your topic in the correct forum category next time. Read this for more info: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/f ... -t555.html

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:55 pm

A nominated supervisor must have the qualification or the experience to be able to do that job...Diploma or higher (basically nominated supervisor is a Director)
I know when I signed the forms at my work to be a certified supervisor you either needed a Diploma or higher or had been in the industry with X yrs with a qualification
Last edited by fchaudari76 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss_Annette

Post by Miss_Annette » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:16 pm

Ive been allocated the edcuational leader role within my centre and Im studying my diploma.
i was told its basically someone who feels confident in programming and explaining the process :)
im also superviser.

smith76
Participator
Participator

Post by smith76 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:54 pm

We were told at our centre that the nominated leader would be our pre prep teacher as she has her bachelor

rachelroo

Post by rachelroo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Nominated supervisor is the new name for director.
Certified supervisors have to be appointed as there has to be a "responsible person" in charge at all times.
We have a list of who is next in charge when the nominated supervisor is away and we get a necklace to wear stating that we are the responsible person,you just hand it on when someone higher up the list starts work.
To be a certified supervisor you need to : Have had 3 years experience in the industry OR
Have a diploma OR
Have early childhood teaching qualifications.

zarlo1

Post by zarlo1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi I would love to hear from other nominated educational leaders and how they are developing this role at long day care centres. I am new to the role and am still trying to get my head around what is expected of me. The duty statement for an educational leader at work seems really daunting and time consuming and as I will not be getting any extra time off the floor for this I was wondering how other people are managing this role, what practical strategies and resources have you put in place, what records are you keeping and how is your role percieved by other staff. I have tried different ways of getting staff input into how they would like to see the role devloped e.g discussion at staff metting, brainstorm sheet, informal chats but havent had much of a response. Any ideas? Thanks

rooneyzeus

Post by rooneyzeus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 am

I think Regulations 118 have a very immense power which can filter quality skills in education and care service. I also agree that might be educator not so well qualified but they should have experience in the same filed. Like If I am working in any children's nursery, I should have knowledge about child care services or any qualified degree preferable instead of experience.

sue073

Post by sue073 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 am

hi there
Im a 2ic and just been given the role of educational leader
i have just been told i have to have my adv dip to continue this role in 2014 can some one tell me if this is true and where i could find out the right information to back this up. i have looked in the regulation and i cant seem to find it. does anyone have a link to share
thank you
sue073

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Sue,

As far as I know the educational leader is not required to have their advance diploma, any form of qualification is sufficient. The role of an educational leader is to guide other educators in programming, planning and practices. Any one within an early childhood service can be selected to be an educational leader... I'm attaching some information below which will clarify the role of an educational leader below:

[attachment=0]educational_leader.pdf[/attachment]
Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Educational Leader - Roles, Responsibilities and Qualifications

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:54 pm

That's what I know too as my work wants someone to do this role and there's no min qual though because its programming etc you'd be better of with min Diploma quals

sue073

Re: Educational Leader - Roles, Responsibilities and Qualifications

Post by sue073 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:39 am

Thank you for the info sorry my reply is late forgot my password lol