Collection Of Child - Parent Heavily Intoxicated

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Collection Of Child - Parent Heavily Intoxicated

Post by dulciean » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:57 pm

This is a bit of a technical question, but am hoping someone with industry knowledge can help point me in the right direction?
Where in the Regulations would I find reference to our response when a parent repeatedly arrives at the service heavily intoxicated ( alcohol) but accompanied by a friend who is an authorised person to collect their child. I am familiar with our new mandatory reporting guidelines, and our duty of care to the child. But I believe there is specific mention in the Regs about this scenario. This is for work/ professional reason and reference. :wave:
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Help with finding a Regulation

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:47 am

Hi Dulciean,

I've checked the Regulations and I've also checked the National Laws however I couldn't find this scenario you were referring too. It just mentions that if an authorized/parent comes to collect a child and an educator deems this person unfit to care for the child then they will need to contact another person from the authorization collection list to pick up the child instead.

Is this what you are after?

Sorry couldn't help more,

:geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Re: Collection Of Child - Parent Heavily Intoxicated

Post by dulciean » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:38 am

Hi LA
Thankyou for that
I also understood that to be part of the Regulations- it seems to me this parent thinks they are clever by knowing this and bringing a sober/ authorised friend with them to collect the child. It just doesn't sit well with me as this is a pattern of behaviour ... I feel the child is at risk and the parent is exploiting the situation. Frustrating to say the least!!

strathjack

Post by strathjack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:38 pm

Whilst they are bringing someone else to do the 'driving' you are well within your rights to document the days that this happens and to ring up the child protection office. I myself have run the child protection about similar instances and often when you ring you will discover that the family is well known to them and they send someone around to check on the welfare of the child and they will investigate it.

Your duty of care doesn't end when they walk out the door. If you believe that the person is intoxicated and having someone come to collect the child with them and then they are taking the child home you have a duty of care to report that... there is mandatory reporting on all suspicions of abuse (neglect, drugs in the home, intoxicated parents etc).

Let's not forget that the 'friend' isn't going to hang around all afternoon after they drop the child off, you want to make sure that the child is being looked after and that their needs are being met.

neveo

Post by neveo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:37 pm

what happens if you can't contact anyone from the authorisation contact list? do you go to the Department of Child Protection?

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:54 am

Hi,
I agree with Strathjack... we have a duty to the child, the parent thinks they are being clever. You are best to let your director know and take it from there.

Linsaa fdc :wave: