Technology Activities For Preschoolers

Kids Activities, Art and Crafts, Cooking Ideas, Kids Songs and Games related discussions.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
eagertolearn

Technology Activities For Preschoolers

Post by eagertolearn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi,

I am in need of some help and ideas in order to include technology in our kindy room. Our centre has very limited resources and we dont have access to a computer or ipads at all within the service. Us staff mostly all have smart phones, and dont mind using them to take photo's etc, but dont really know what else we can offer the children from these.

I was thinking of getting some 'cheap' calculators from a $1 store and incorperating these.

I've also heard that 'tools' such as skrewdrivers etc are all apart of the 'technology' umbrella, is this right?

What specific experiences and resources do you use, and have your children loved?

Thanks and cant wait to get some new ideas.

btw, I have posted this in another forum also, so hoping to get some good insperation that I can share. :D

Lorina

Re: technology help with 3-5 year olds

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:46 am

At my last centre we didn't have laptops/ computers etc for the children to use however, we did have old computer keyboards, phones (mobiles/ cordless), old cameras that the children enjoyed interacting with. We set up an office environment and the children would use these items in their play.

Calculators are a great idea, you could do a lot of experiences with them such as getting them to find the correct number, another idea would be some cheap flashlights. You could add colored cellophane over the top so the light changes colour. Create a dark space in a cubby with a sheet over the top where the children could use the flashlight.

Some other ideas which you could find at a cheap store would probably be those books where you press the image on the side and it makes noises ( if you know what I mean)... How about a cd player, cassette player, microphones, remote control cars/toys.. try going to salvos or even vinnies and you may be able to find these second hand and cheaper ( just remember to disinfect them first)...

Hopefully these give you a few more ideas,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:53 am

Oh I just thought of another one... Walkie talkies...

Keta1992

Post by Keta1992 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:13 pm

You can make some computor screens out of boxs, i used to take a screen caption (should be a button on the keyboard) of well know things such as the destop or google home page, and then print it out and attach to the box, the imaginitive play that came from this was fantastic! Remember it doesnt need to be plugged in or have batteries to be classafied as technoligy

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:20 am

Scout out your local library for science activities and technology activities for young children.

Remember a lot of children would be using iPads and computers at home so you can talk about it in class and what they use them for and what they do on it etc