NEW Cert 3 & Diploma Qualifications To Be Introduced

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

NEW Cert 3 & Diploma Qualifications To Be Introduced

Post by Macoola » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:22 am

According to this side which I found because of a link on the AQCEQA website all child care qualifications are being changed and replaced.

This first website link just shows the diploma and how CHC50908 will be superseded by a new CHC50113 and claims it took place on the 11/Jul/2013.

http://training.gov.au/Training/Details/CHC50113

The training.gov.au website then linked me to this next link from the Community Services & Health Industry Skills Council website which shows that all courses are to be replaced.

http://www.cshisc.com.au/media/117405/O ... S_D2.0.pdf

Despite all this the new qualifications are not listed on TAFE NSW website. I am confused as to when they supersede the old qualifications?
What does this mean for those of us currently studying the old qualifications and for those who have the old qualifications?

Does anyone know anything about this? :?:

Macoola
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Re: Child Care qualifications replaced?

Post by dulciean » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Hi Macoola
That is very interesting information. It seems these are the brand- new updated qualifications . Supersede seems to mean they will simply be the most current versions of the qualifications. It's interesting that it mentions the removal of entry requirements into the Diploma.
It's the first I've heard of this- will be interested to read more feedback . :!:

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:32 am

Hi

Yeah I heard about this the other week my TAFE provider sent me an email. They are keeping tight lipped about it, but they did tell us that they are currently developing the new quals and formulating the questions & assignments for them and that the earliest we will hear more news of these new quals will be October this year. They also said that we may have the option to change over to the new quals once they have finished making it, or we can just continue doing the qual we are currently studying for.

It will definitely be interesting to see how these new quals will differ from the old ones and if there will be any benefit from changing over to the new qual. I am mainly only doing my diploma to get a years credit off my uni degree, maybe the new qual might give me more credit? Probs unlikely just have to wait for more news.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:40 pm

I am sure it will all be worked out and may involve extra units or some bridging to get the new qual.
TAFE would have to let you know as soon as the change was implemented if not before. I would ask them about it

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for the info law92and fefe. I just hope there wont be too much extra bridging work to do we will have to wait and see.

Macoola

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:58 am

Thanks Macoola for the update!

I just had a read through the new units they are proposing and they seem to be very interesting. I think they are more relevant to the childcare industry as it is today. They are very different to what I had studied... I wonder what this means for all of us with the previous version of the qualification. Do we have to update our qualification and complete the new units??

It will be interesting to see what happens...

:geek:,
L.A

ChristyB

Re: NEW Cert 3 & Diploma Qualifications To Be Introduced

Post by ChristyB » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:21 pm

My TAFE teacher broke the news the other day. The units are completely different and according to her there will be quite a bit of bridging required. You are not required to update your Diploma if you are going straight into the industry or are already in it and do professional development regularly. If not, you will have do the update for you qualification to be recognised.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:43 am

I know L.A. I am also interested in what this means for us studying or who already have our Diploma. ChristyB thanks for the information from your Tafe teacher, I hope this means I don't have to do too much bridging work.

Macoola

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 am

Hi everyone

I just found some new info regarding the new qualifications. Take a look at this website!

http://foi.deewr.gov.au/system/files/do ... _aug13.pdf

On page 4 it says if candidates hold the replaced Children’s Services qualifications—CHC30708/CHC30712 Certificate III in Children’s Services, or CHC50908 Diploma of Children’s Services (Early childhood education and care)—they will need to be assessed against all 28 units to gain the CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (as the qualifications are not equivalent).

If thats the case, I'm not going to bother with my diploma. I've just started doing the CHC50908 Diploma, and if I have to do the new diploma, which has 28 units in total, I may as well just spend my time on the degree, which has 32 units at USQ. Can't really justify spending 2+ years on the new diploma when I really want to do my degree and become a teacher in the long run.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:42 am

Law92, thanks for the heads up!

So just to clarify, does this mean all educators with previous Cert 3 and Diploma qualifications will need to be re-assessed through RPL or through completing of the 28 (for Diploa) in order to receive the new updated qualification?

L.A

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi LA

I just finished talking to one of my TAFE teachers, and she said that they haven't even finished writing the new Diploma yet, but they will start teaching it from next year onwards. She said the diploma I'm currently completing (CHC50908) will still be recognised for years to come and will still be a highly regarded qual in the industry. They are telling everyone who is currently studying the old quals CHC50908, CHC30908 to continue with these as they will still be recognised.

However, in my opinion, I think there will come a time, maybe 3-5 years down the track, when they've got enough people who have completed the new diploma, where they will make everyone who has the old quals working in children's services gradually change over to the new quals through RPL, etc.
They are trying to upskill the industry so thats why they've made the new diploma into 28 units instead of 18. I don't know who would bother doing the new diploma, because the time you spent on it you could have nearly finished your Bachelor degree. The TAFE lady said that I still have about a year left to do my diploma before they start teaching the new one, so maybe next year they won't be offering CHC50908 any more by the sounds of things?
I just need my diploma to be recognised for 3 years while I complete uni so I'm happy that it will still be recognised for all that time. I was freaking out today that after all my work on my diploma that they would make me do the new one or make everyone bridge over to the new one, but the TAFE lady said that this is not the case. Veryyy confusing! Anyone that is currently doing the old quals now, I would finish it ASAP before they start teaching the new ones next year! Anyway, I hope this makes sense :)

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi- a little information is a dangerous thing!
Just a note- the new Diploma is 28 units because it incorporates the Cert III - ie supersedes/ replaces it. Diploma will be the minimum qualification. Food for thought- the early childhood portfolio is highly political and our new government is not particularly concerned with the NQF- meaning our push for higher qualifications in the industry may not come to fruition. Time will tell!!

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Hey Law92 I was just about to ask the same question as L.A.

I would really like to know if it means we have to do all 28 units because I am currently doing my CHC50908 diploma.

Macoola

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Kinda off topic- Just wanted to address the article that Dulciean provided above:

Ok, so basically everything is on hold now that Abbott has taken over.  I was really looking forward in having a higher ratio by law in the age groups especially the toddlers.  ATM its 1:8 and by next year it would of been 1:5. Many centers aren't implementing the ratio changes until its absolutely mandatory and now since everything is on hold I guess that doesn't change as well! What a shame for educators! After all the hard work it seems like we are taking a pause in the right direction. 

L.A

Nicnoo

Post by Nicnoo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Ive just completed my cert III. Does this mean ill have to complete my work to bring it up to standard?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Nicnoo wrote:Ive just completed my cert III. Does this mean ill have to complete my work to bring it up to standard?

No, I dont think so, especially if you have just completed it.... Don't worry about it at this stage it's too soon to tell. Anyway i doubt you will need to complete more modules if you just completed a qualification..Let's just wait and see. who knows may not happen either...

L.A

Megan66

Post by Megan66 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Basically next year the training package for the Dip. Ch Serv will be updated, usually happens every few years. If you are currently studying, and will be next year as well, they will have to incorporate any new units into your study. Any tat are changing, they may well give you a pass for the units you did (old ones) or a pass for the new ones, ask them if they will be giving you passes for the unit codes you are doing now or the new ones. Wont matter concerning work, but if you want to do further study and they have some units as prerequisites, they will be the new codes, so you will have to RPL or repeat some of the old units, which may mean you would have to pay for them. Ask you teachers, they should be aware and have organise it so you get the passed units with the new codes, even if you did them before they came out, if your study crosses over to next year, they are responsible to ensure you get passed with the new unit codes. I know this is confusing, but ring it up in class.
Goodluck
Im having trouble with starting my dip., my cert III is from 2 training packages ago so although I have all te prerequisite units, they ave the wrong codes and the provider wants me to repeat the entire cert III and PAY the $1200 for it and just write off all the units with RPL! Shocking! Told them to shove it!! Greedy!