Writing An Anecdotal Record

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Writing An Anecdotal Record

Post by WarblerOn » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:27 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Analyse
Your Assignment Type: Other
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
I am starting to write my observations, I just want some help in someone proof reading my anecdote before I analyse it, because I want to ensure it's okay.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Observer: Jessica

Setting/Context: Outdoors in the sandpit
Observation:

Child L was asked by Educator J “Do you want to make a castle?” Child L nodded and said “I want to make a castle,” Child S was nearby and also said she wanted to make a castle and directed her response to Child L “Let’s make it together!”

Child L and Child S was working together patting it down and also turned it over.

They looked to Educator J “Look we made a castle!” Child S said and Child L smiled. Child S put a leaf on the top.

Educator J responded by saying “Are there any more leafs?”

Child L looked around and said “Here are some!” finding a leaf nearby Child L also placed that on the castle.

Child S followed Child L’s actions and they both continued to look for more Leafs. Educator J found a small cut of branch with lots of leaf and handed one to both girls and they silently put the leafs all over the top of their castle.

They then had fun destroying it at the end.

(I originally have the name of course)

I would like to make it more descriptive, but this is just a rough draft of what happen so i could remember it.
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Writing An Anecdotal Record

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:56 am

It's a good start but you need more details to be added to it. I'm making some suggestions on what details you can include...
Child L was asked by Educator J “Do you want to make a castle?” Child L nodded and said “I want to make a castle,” Child S was nearby and also said she wanted to make a castle and directed her response to Child L “Let’s make it together!”

Where was Child L before being asked by educator? What was Child L doing previously? What was Child S doing? Did she come over to sit near Child L or move?

For example: Luke was sitting in the sandpit, using a spade to fill the bucket up with sand. J walked over to him Do you want to make a castle?” Child L nodded and said “I want to make a castle,”. Sue using the sand mould to create cakes stood up and walked over to Luke and sat down "I want to make a sandcastle too" she said to Luke. Luke smiled at Sue "Let's make it together".

Child L and Child S was working together patting it down and also turned it over.

How were they working together? What were they doing? What materials were they using?

They looked to Educator J “Look we made a castle!” Child S said and Child L smiled. Child S put a leaf on the top.

After how long? How did Child S get the leaf?

Educator J responded by saying “Are there any more leafs?”

Where was J doung this time? Still at the sandpit? Sitting in the sandpit? Standing on the side?

Child L looked around and said “Here are some!” finding a leaf nearby Child L also placed that on the castle.

Was Child L looking around from the sandpit? Did Child L get up and look around near the sandpit? Did they walk around?

Child S followed Child L’s actions and they both continued to look for more Leafs.

What actions were they? What did they do? Did they hold the leaves? Put them in a bucket?

Educator J found a small cut of branch with lots of leaf and handed one to both girls and they silently put the leafs all over the top of their castle

Where was the branch found, on the floor? In the sandpit? Did the girls smile or say thank you? Did they pull the leaves off the branch?

They then had fun destroying it at the end.

How do you know they had fun? How did they destroy it? Did they laugh, giggle, scream out in joy? What did they say? How did they destroy it? Did they start again after destroyed it or played somewhere else?

When writing an anecdotal record you record exactly what you observe. From what was being said, who else became involved, facial expressions, body language etc. When someone reads it they can imagine being there, seeing it for themselves.

At the beginning it is hard remembering exactly what happened but use your notes and try and write your observation after the experience occurred so that you remember more details. It's also helpful to take some photos even if they aren't being used with the observation it can help you write more details of what happened throughout the expereince.

Hopefully these tips help you to add more detail to your anecdotal record,

:geek:,
L.A

WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Re: Writing An Anecdotal Record

Post by WarblerOn » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Massive help thank you so much. I get what you mean, it does help me think more about the situation.