WHO Code For Breastfeeding And How It Affects Centres

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

WHO Code For Breastfeeding And How It Affects Centres

Post by Rencia » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:56 pm

I have the answer for first part of the question but I am not sure what to do with the second part : how does it effect staff in childcare service?

What is the WHO code and how does it affect staff in an Early Childhood Education and Care service?
The WHO Code is the abbreviated name for the International Code of Marketing Breastmilk Substitutes developed in 1981 by the General Assembly of the World Health Organization, following consultation with key stakeholders, including governments and infant food manufacturers. In subsequent years additional World Health Assembly resolutions have further defined and strengthened the Code. It is a set of recommendations for member states of the World Health Organization (WHO) designed to regulate the marketing of breast milk substitutes, feeding bottles and teats.
The aim of the WHO Code is:
“To contribute to the provision of safe and adequate nutrition for infants, by the protection and promotion of breast feeding, and by ensuring the proper use of breast milk substitutes, when these are necessary, on the basis of adequate information and through appropriate marketing and distribution.”

For the second part my answer was
Regarding to this code childcare workers need to make sure that the mothers are given the opportunity to feed their child the way they wish (breastfeeding or bottle feeding). There should be a special, private room where mothers can feed their babies if breast feeder and childcare worker need to follow the instructions when the child is on formula milk. The childcare workers can't tell mothers how they should feed their babies. It has to be mothers choice and the child care workers need to respect it.

but I am pretty sure it is wrong.

Lorina

Re: WHO Code For Breastfeeding And How It Affects Centres

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:56 pm

I understand what you're trying to say for the second part of your question! Something like... "Educators in a centre can't":
refuse an application for a child care place, or not offer a place, because a child is breastfed,
• discourage a mother from continuing to breastfeed when her child starts in care,
• not let a woman breastfeed or express milk on your premises,
• refuse to feed a child its mother’s expressed breast milk, or
• do anything else that makes it difficult for parents to continue giving breast milk to a child while they are in your care

Ref: Breast Feeding In Childcare

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rencia » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:08 am

Thank you so much!

rach94
Participator
Participator

Post by rach94 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:21 pm

i don't understand how this affects staff in childcare can your please explain your opinion if possible

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:47 am

I think breastfeeding affects staff in a centre as they need to use appropriate practices to give the child breast milk and give the mother an opportunity to come in and feed their child whenever they want. A child who has formula can be given a bottle at the required time, however a parent breast feeding doesn't often give their child a bottle of breast milk, rather they will feed the child themselves during feeding times. This may affect staff as they may feel it will be disruptive, or time consuming as they will need to allow the mother to feed the child. Preparing a bottle of breast milk is also "harder" than giving formula. Breast milk needs to be heated in a bottle warmer or in hot water rather than microwaved and should be clearly labelled and put in the freezer (if necessary). I guess it's just extra steps an educator needs to take in order to deal with a child on breast milk.

I hope this makes sense and there should never be an issue of giving a child breast milk!

I proudly breastfed my daughter until she was 22 months old and never gave her the bottle! :)

:geek:,
Lorina