What Are Your Thoughts On Male Educators In Childcare?

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ani.mahida

What Are Your Thoughts On Male Educators In Childcare?

Post by ani.mahida » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi Guys... I am a male educator at childcare, Sydney. I am studying my Diploma right now and about to finish with this last question :party: . I have to do research/ interview as part of my assignment on one topic. so as a male educator I choose one topic "Male educator at child care " so i need to collect your opinion from educators and also mother/father. so please give me some your personal opinion on male educator, advantage/disadvantage to the service, relationship with children, families reaction. if you are parent please also give me your opinion from point of view of mother/father. please guys help me...... thank you.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Male educator in childcare service: advantages and disadvantages

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 am

Very interesting topic!

As an educator I believe that male educators provide a positive dynamic and influence when working with children. Boys relate to male educators and find a "mate" to play with while girls also enjoy the company of a male working in the centre as well. At my previous centre, a male educator was employed (preschool room) and the children were so overjoyed! They would play soccer, cricket and footy with him, the boys will all approach him to talk and even the shy ones would go and say hi. There is a difference between male and female educators and the children realise it to! Also just wanted to add that the staff dynamics change as well when a male educator is employed!

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Male Educators In Childcare?

Post by linsaa fdc » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:09 am

Hi ani.mahida,

Congratulations on finishing your Diploma, it's a great feeling.
I don't think there are any disadvantages to men in childcare or in any teaching occupation. Children need male and female influences in their life and with there being so many children out there these days with no dad around, men in childcare is even more important. Just in my little family day care service I have two families with no positive male influence [mum's words not mine], no dad, granddad, uncle, so the Mum's were very happy to have my husband here and that he shows an interest in the children. They all call him Papa so he is just like a loving granddad, who spoils them to I might add.
The only disadvantage I could think of, and this is not how I feel but looking at it from a families or Mum's point of view. Some parents might not like the idea of a man changing little girls or boys nappies......again, not might opinion, but could be an obstacle to some parents.
Don't forget you can still post on the website even if you have finished your diploma, would be great to hear how you go in your career.
Good on you, all the best.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

ani.mahida

Post by ani.mahida » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:24 am

Hi Lorina and Linsaa
Thank you for your reply. So far I have most collected positive feedback (from educators) I agree with you Linsaa many families want to have male educator in childcare but when it come to practice they prefer to have male in preschool or toodler room not with babies. They feel bit awkward to handover their child to male or not comfortable when male change nappies. As a male I dont mind with these but after all its families's choice. Any way once again thank you. Still need to collect more opinion. Please pass this to your friends and help me with that. Need to make big final assignment .
thank you

ani.mahida

Post by ani.mahida » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi Guys... Just want to share worse experience in childcare industry.
As I mentioned I am male educator and working in children's service for more than five years. I been working on same place from last five years so I haven't face any discrimination problem from my female co-worker or from families. And I thought that's great that now society are accepting male as a educator but I had two experience recently which made me shock that some people are thinking same as old and they are non other than staff from childcare. Due to some personal reason I wanted to change my job close to home so from last one month I started to apply one application I applied at council childcare (west Sydney) and other at very well reputed and known in communities (inner west Sydney). after submitting my application through on-line I got call from Council. The admin lady called me and asked me " can I speak with Ani?" like generally every one do. I replied " yes, Its me Ani''. the reaction I heard from was bit weird.. which was " ohhwwww" I got question mark in my head that why she sounds like disappointed. well after that she told me that she made call to inform me that she have received my application and they will contact me later. I was like really? who call to inform candidate that they have received application except getting confirmation email or calling for interview. any way after that till today haven't got reply from them. (I think my male voice changed her mind:P) anyway... second one I applied this well known inner west childcare through the agency so they didn't had idea that they getting male educator for interview. I went for an interview and it held by director and from admin (both were females) I had good interview everything was going great. during interview the lady (Director) ask me what you feel to work as a male educator in childcare along with females? I was like first of I am Educator first after that you can see me as according to gender. Well I answered well for that question by telling my experience and my relation with my old team. she replied me I would recommend male educator but not more than two... and she laughed . I am like seriously????????????????????? you talking about Diversity, You talking about EEO, you talking about no gender discrimination.. than why such kind questions and answers... first of all I applied for EDUCATOR position not for MALE OR FEMALE EDUCATOR position. I don't see any difference in male or female and you guys from higher position still think on this way than how would communities or families will accept us if we don't get opportunity.. sorry girls no offence but its not for all . I been working with girls and we go well but sad to know there are still some people........

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:59 pm

Sorry to hear that you have had such a crappy experience! You're right it isn't fair at all.. Unfortunately you are still going to be "discriminated" against even though there may be laws against this! Keep your head up and I'm sure you will find a centre that will really appreciate and value you as an EDUCATOR!

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:25 am

Hi ani.mahida,
I am really sorry to hear as well. I try to look at the bright positive side of things and that is its better to know their true thoughts now rather than once you are working for them and going through all the stress. There is always something better around the corner. Look for a company that will value what you have to offer.
They are out there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ani.mahida

Post by ani.mahida » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:49 am

One more shame full experience by childcare staff.
As I mentioned that I am male educator. I was responding on job advertisement of Rainbow Village Childcare, Harrispark 2150. I made a call to the given number for general enquiry about position role. The female staff replied me stariaght away "we dont need male" without asking my qualificationsns, experience and knowledge. What a disappointment for me. I have completed diploma in childcare and want to study bachelor in it but I dont see future. In center philosophy they claim that they provide diversity in staff. I think they dont know definition of diversity and EEO. I wish I could complain about these kind of childcares where sex discrimination happens to the staff before job.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi ani.mahida,

I can't believe that they would be so open about their discrimination.
ani.mahida wrote:QR_BBPOST I wish I could complain about these kind of childcares where sex discrimination happens to the staff before job.
Ani, discrimination also applies to when you aren't able to get a job because of your genda and age especially when you have the qualifications they are asking for.
The same way they are not allowed to advertise for a young girl for the position because of discrimination they are not allowed to turn you away because of your genda.
I don't have the time to search where you would start but I do know you have the same rights even if you haven't started working there yet and especially if you can prove it.
When we were advertising for a position for my husbands business, we needed a strong fit man because there was a lot of heavy lifting but we were not allowed to say that in our add. We had to advertise the position as having lots of heavy lifting.
If you are going to do more study have you thought of Early Childhood Teaching? Maybe that wouldn't be so discriminating, surely they would welcome a male teacher.
I know I would check the situation before I went any further with study, maybe your hard work and dedication might be appreciated elsewhere.....to the loss of the whole early childhood system.
All the best