Vygotsky Social and cultural conext of learning

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jessmid

Vygotsky Social and cultural conext of learning

Post by jessmid » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:24 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCPR509A Gather, Interpret and use information about children
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Vygotsky (1978) stressed the social and cultural context of learning and observed that these contexts directly impacted on learning and behaviour. Explain why this statement is of particular importance to early childhood educators.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
‘Behaviour is shaped by social values; children learn what acceptable behaviour is and what unacceptable behaviour through direct interaction with others is.’ (Kearns, 2010, p 55) Us as educators can translate this into practice, children should learn what is most valued and relevant to the community in which they live. According to Vygotsky (1978), a lot of the learning that is done by the child occurs through their social interaction with educators. The educator models behaviours and/ or provides verbal instructions for the child. Vygotsky refers to this as cooperative or collaborative dialogue. Children seek to understand the actions or instructions then they will internalise the information and use it to guide or regulate their own performance. We as educators need to provide opportunities for this to happen so children may learn different things.
For example Connor is sitting at a table writing his name. He holds up a piece of paper with the first four letters next to each other with the last two underneath, the educator encourages Connor and explains about having all the letters in a line and demonstrates this and Connor works hard to replicate this. (Kearns, 2010) This is one example of how Vygotsky’s Social and cultural context of learning is translated into practice.

Description and Message:
Hello I would just like it if someone could read over this and ensure that I am on the right track and give me their opinion on my answer to ensure that I haven't gone off topic at all and am answering the question appropriately and if I have missed any vital information.
Thanks I appreciate all the help!!!

Lorina

Re: Vygotsky Social and cultural conext of learning

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:59 am

You could also mention something like:
How social learning theories help us to understand how people learn in social contexts (learn from each other) and informs us on how we, as teachers, construct active learning communities and that we learn through our interactions and communications with others. Vygotsky also believes culture is the primary determining factor for knowledge construction. We learn through this cultural lens by interacting with others and following the rules, skills, and abilities shaped by our culture.

Ref: http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/lsn/educator/edt ... gotsky.htm

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

jessmid

Re: Vygotsky Social and cultural conext of learning

Post by jessmid » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:38 am

Thank you very much for your input much appreciated :)