Training Needs Analysis On Supervising Children

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.

Training Needs Analysis On Supervising Children

Post by 27959 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi all,

I need some help with the following task and am seriously stuck.... :/

In order to identify learning needs and evaluate aspects of specific knowledge and skills required for service delivery. It is essential to have in place a systemic approach to the development of work plans which can be used as a tool for evaluation and accountability or teams and individuals. The following table is a TRAINING NEEDS ANALYSIS designed to reverie educator's SUPERVISION OF OUTDOOR PLAY. Answer the questions defined in each step in the process.

STEP 1: Defining the task: Supervision of outdoor play (3-5 year olds)

i. What is the task? - Assessing educator knowledge and skill in the use of appropriate supervision of children 3-5 years engaged in outdoor play.

ii. What are the legislative standards required?

Compliance in relation to the national quality framework,
national quality standards
education and care services national regulations 2011
Reference for staff to child ratios and qualified educators

iii. What skills and/or knowledge are necessary for the educator to adequately perform outdoor supervision?

Policies and procedures
Related to outdoor play and supervision and the knowledge of principles of supervision

no. of children being supervised
Activities and equipment which require special supervision for eg, play equipment, water play, sandpits etc.

iv. What, if any, are the potential risks to the educator while involved in the performance of outdoor supervision?

Weather conditions,
Any obstacles or hazards,
Stress,
Any lifting, strenuous activity?
Any emergency situations
Outdoor plants
Allergies

v. Who is responsible for monitoring the effectiveness of the educator’s knowledge and skill in the provision of outdoor supervision?

The approved provider, nominated supervisor and all educators must ensure that every child at the service is adequately
supervised (section 165).

Team leaders or highly qualified staff and director can monitor effectiveness of educators knowledge and skill in provision of outdoor supervision

STEP 2: Observing (evaluating performance)

vi. List the items could you include on a simple observation checklist that would assist you when evaluating the educators in their supervision of the outdoor environment.

- Is educator constantly and regularly scanning the area to observe all children?
- Is there constant supervision near water?
- Are they using active supervision methods?
- Is it consistent?
- Are they preventing injury through supervision and constantly checking for risks and hazards?
- Are they observing childrens play and behaviour?
- Are they positioning equipment and arranging the environment?

vii. List 2 questions that you could ask educators to check for underpinning knowledge of supervision of the outdoor environment.

(I am stuck on this one)

STEP 3: Examining - What would you do with the information?

viii. What would you do with the information gathered after completing steps 1 & 2?

(and this one)

STEP 4: Identifying the consequences - Possible consequences

ix. What could happen if supervision is not carried out in accordance with policy and procedures?

(and this one)

STEP 5: Action plan - Steps that can be put in place

x. What steps can be put into place to ensure supervision is correctly carried out by all educators at all times?

(and this one)

I am not sure whether I am on the right track and any help would be much appreciated,

Many thanks,

Vickie

Re: Training Needs Analysis On Supervising Children

Post by 27959 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Many thanks Lorina :)

pola
Participator
Participator

Post by pola » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:21 am

Could you please help me with this question:

What steps can be put into place to ensure supervision is correctly carried out by all educators at all times?

After long research I still cannot answer it ;-( I know that the question asks what steps can be put into place to ensure supervision is correctly carried out at all times by all educators.
So if you are a director in a service, how would you ensure all staff (full-time employees, casuals or new employees) are aware of, and understand the supervision policy?

What I know is:

Casual staff and volunteers need a comprehensive orientation to relevant service policies before they begin working with children. It is beneficial to have a summary or list of essential policies and practices that casual staff or volunteers need to know. When orienting casual staff and volunteers it is important to show them where the service’s policies are located and to initially team them with an experienced staff member who can mentor them. Encourage casual staff and volunteers to ask questions about any aspect of the service’s policies and procedures that they are unsure of or don’t understand.

Also:

Strategies can services use to monitor child care professionals’ understanding of policies:

• Encourage child care professionals to read policies and discuss whether the service’s
current practices meet with recommendations. Where necessary, identify how they can be improved.
• Have policy discussions as a regular agenda item at staff and/or carers’ meetings so that the whole team can raise concerns and be involved in policy review. This may be done as a practical exercise. This can build an understanding of the link between what is written and practical implementation. It
can also identify where inconsistencies exist between the policy and actual practice.
• Develop a plan to review each policy every 18 months to two years as this will assist services to
keep up to date with current recommendations from recognised authorities and encourage consultation with stakeholders.
• Identify a ‘champion’ of policy who is enthusiastic about a practice or has the skills and knowledge to mentor peers. This may include providing them with training so that they can share their knowledge with others. Invite professionals to the service to demonstrate and inform child care professionals about best practice.
• Encourage child care professionals to monitor each other’s practice, ask questions and seek
clarification. This might involve rephrasing statements such as “I think you should supervise children this way” to “Would you consider using this strategy to supervise”.
• Team new or inexperienced staff and carers with experienced and skilled child care professionals who can monitor the formers’ understanding of policy and practice and role model appropriate practice.
• Plan professional development opportunities for child care professionals to learn about current best practice and to share the information with their colleagues.
• Provide professional resources about recommended practice in common areas such as staff rooms and play session venue.

Sources:
ncac.acecqa.gov.au/educator-resources/pcf-articles/ACCA_Policies%20and%20procedures_Jun09.pdf

But... this question is about STEPS

What steps can be put into place to ensure supervision is correctly carried out by all educators at all times?

H E L P !

pola
Participator
Participator

Post by pola » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 am

By the way... If I were a director in a service, I would follow the following steps:

1 give the staff (full time, casual, new employees and others) the printed copy of the policy
2 ask them to read it.
3 After that I will ask them if they have any questions about what they read.
4 I will ask some CCCs (concept checking questions) to be sure they understand the policy
5 Employer will be asked to sign in the document that they know and understand the policy and will follow it
6 I will review their knowledge from time to time (staff meetings, policy review, etc)

pola
Participator
Participator

Post by pola » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:41 am

Just received feedback from assessor - I did it ;-) No HELP needed <3

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

:geek:,
Lorina