Tom - Block Play

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
brookeamy
Participator
Participator

Tom - Block Play

Post by brookeamy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Scenario is as follows:
Tom (4 years) suffered a brain injury at birth. He has a developmental age of around 2 years, walks with an unusual gait and uses gestures and loud noises to communicate. Tom is not yet toilet trained and needs adult support with other self-help skills.
Tom loves to play with wheel toys and enjoys any types of sensory experience, particularly finger painting, wet sand and water play.
Tom is new to the service and the preschool. Children have been curious about him, asking Cara, the educator, a range of questions:
• Why does he walk funny?
• Why can’t he talk?
• Why does he make those noises?

Block Play
Two children approach the educator and say “Can you take Tom away from the blocks ‘cause he doesn’t know how to build and he just knocks them down and we’re building a car park.”

Question
Why is it inappropriate to insist that Tom be included in the block play?

My answer
I think it is inappropriate as it would be regarded as exclusion. Tom does not need to be excluded from everyone else. It will make the children think that they are
I think Tom should be included in block play, but instead of Tom not being included at all, have the boys break the blocks into half and each have their own to play with

Feedback from my assessor:
Why would this be inappropriate? How else might this make the other children feel? Consider how you would it affect children’s relationship with Tom and attitude towards inclusion/ special needs. Please revise. Keep in mind Tom’s additional need. The way you have started your response does not reflect that you have taken this into consideration.

Can anyone help guide me in the right direction!
Thanks in advance Brooke

Lorina

Re: Tom - Block Play

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:33 pm

brookeamy
Participator
Participator

Post by brookeamy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Still not sure what I should respond with, what the question is asking he should be excluded? Please help!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Children shouldn't be forced to play with other children whether they have an additional need or not. Children's rights should be respected. In saying this the children should understand that Tom only wants to join in and play. Maybe Tom should be given his own blocks and sat near the children to play...

:geek:,
Lorina