Sims & Hutchins: Four Reactions To Child With Additional Needs

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
An Educator
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Sims & Hutchins: Four Reactions To Child With Additional Needs

Post by An Educator » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:22 pm

I'm not surw how to answer this one:-
sims and Hutchins (1999) suggest that there are four common reactions to a child with an additional need.
Explain the meaning of each reaction, giving an example where appropriate.

a. Belief that the child's 'problem' can be fixed so that the child is more "'normal''

b. Attitiude of exclusion

c. Ignoring the difference

d. Differences are recognised and valued.

Hope someone can help me.
Thank you,
With kind regards,
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Sims & Hutchins: Four Reactions To Child With Additional Needs

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:55 pm

I will just expand on a. for you as I feel this is a pretty simple question which just requires you to think about how these children are sometimes percieved by others and in some cases by their own parents & families.

a. Belief that the child's 'problem' can be fixed so the child is more 'normal'

There may be a distinct lack of wanting to accept the childs disability and special needs and find a way to deal with the needs so that the child can develop skills and himself the best he can with his given additional needs.
I would even kind of say this is almost a denial of the childs additional needs ... the best help a child like this can get it with parents/carers accepting the need rather than trying to "fix" it, not all cases of children with addition needs will end up with the child becoming more "normal" it is more a case of giving the child and supprting persons skills to cope and deal with the additional need
as an example think of a child who perhaps has an additional need that the parents or carers etc percieve as more of a problem than a need and thus something they can "fix" and make him better (normal)

Please don't take this wrongly but perhaps if you answer the question then we can help with anything you may miss out or have understood wrongly ... that way you will be benefitting more as you will think about what the question is asking of you

An Educator
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by An Educator » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Yes, was trying to do it myself,since I couldnn't get -sims and Hutchins (1999) needed help.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:47 pm

You do not require that.
They have to reference it since that is where they have used the 4 common reactions from that are in the question they are giving you.
You just need to expand on the given reactions a. b. c. & d. this should not really require any text, just some thought or you can always do a search for common reactions to children with additional needs and see if anything worth reading comes up.

An Educator
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by An Educator » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:28 pm

Lovely, TKS Fefe for your info. It was a great help!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re:Sims & Hutchins: Four Reactions To Child With Additional Needs

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:46 pm

no worries my pleasure