Scenario: Oliver - Behaviour Management Plan

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
foreverlearning6

Scenario: Oliver - Behaviour Management Plan

Post by foreverlearning6 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:30 am

Hello,

I am finishing up my diploma and I am struggling with this last assignment, if I could have some help it would be much appreciated.
I need to develop a behaviour management plan including two parts;

Oliver basic information/background:
- 20 months old
- Mum: Sally
- Dad: Roland

Oliver has been displaying anxiety and resistance when being dropped off at the service by his mother, Sally. Educators have only met dad, Roland, once as he does not drop off or pick up Oliver.
Oliver shows separation anxiety and resistance by clinging to Sally’s leg, initially refusing to voluntarily walk into room. Most times Sally picks Oliver up to bring him into the room or holds his hand and ushers him in. Oliver often begins to cry, stamp feet, drop to the floor and kicks his feet when Sally explains that she needs to go to work.
After Sally leaves, Oliver usually sits on the floor for a couple of minutes before getting distracted by his peers playing in the room. He settles in quickly with his peers.
Oliver displays physically aggressive behaviour whilst playing with his peers. Usually when an educator is occupied by another child or area of the room he will push and shove a child, hit, bite or push them onto the floor then proceed to sit on the child without warning.
When Oliver is being physically aggressive his facial expressions are calm, collected or happy. Often straight after an incident or whilst being aggressive, Oliver visually looks for an educator or waits for them to make eye contact before moving away or sometimes even continuing the behaviour.
This behaviour seems to be without reason or perceptible triggers and usually needs to be addressed and investigated further.
When educators attempt to confront Oliver about his behaviour he will run away and hide, or when educators give him instructions such as “Oliver stop. We don’t hit our friends we use our words” or “Oliver please pick up the (toy) we don’t throw our toys”, Oliver refuses acknowledge that the educator is talking to him.
When Sally arrives at the end of the day often she will discuss with the educators Oliver’s day or any other information she will need to know, the duration of this conversation is usually 5-10 minutes. Even if Oliver has had a good day or is playing appropriately with his peers, he often displays his physically aggressive behaviour while waiting for home time with Stephanie. Often straight after an incident or whilst being aggressive, Oliver visually looks for an Sally or waits for her to make eye contact before moving away or sometimes even continuing the behaviour and will ignore any Educators instructions to move away or stop hurting the child.

Part 1:
- Three observations of a child in three different settings using the anecdotal record to document the concerning behaviour
These are my anecdotal records so far, any suggestions with these are welcome
Drop Off – 29.09.16
9.00am Oliver arrives with mum, Sally. Oliver was standing at the door as Sally walked into the room and greeted the educators Milly, Rachel and Martha. When Rachel asked Sally how her morning had been she responded “Crap! He won’t listen, he keep’s fighting with Jack (brother) and he has been grumpy all morning!”
After Sally put Oliver’s bag in cubby she tried to usher Oliver inside, “Oliver come inside mum is going to be late!” Sally appeared stressed and frustrated. Oliver resisted and dropped to the floor crying, kicking his arms and legs. Sally picked up Oliver and put him in Rachel’s arms, Oliver began kicking and hitting Rachel. “Oliver you are hurting me, I know you are sad but you need to stop hitting me. Would you like to be put down on the floor?” Oliver stopped hitting and kicking Rachel and held onto her to indicate he wanted to stay with her.

Indoor Play – 4/10/16
2.45pm Oliver was playing at the dress up activity with Annie, John and educator Rachel. Rachel left the children to continue on with engaging with each other while she went to assist another child. Moments later Rachel thump and a muffled cry, she turned around to see Oliver was sitting on Annie, looking at Rachel with a smile.

Outdoor Play – 6/10/16
3.10pm Oliver was reading books in the teepee, he had them all laid out on the ground. When Oliver was finished reading Rachel who was sitting close by with another child walked over to Oliver and asked him to put the books back in the basket. Oliver picked one book and put it in the basket, “Well done Oli thank you for cleaning up, can you put the other books in the basket please?” Rachel said as she pointed to the books. Oliver picked up 2 books and put one in the basket, he looked at Rachel and smiled. “Oh thank you, and that one?” Oliver looked at the book and looked at Rachel then he threw the book on the ground. “Oliver we don’t throw the book, can you put it in the basket please?” Oliver picked up the book, smiled at Rachel and then threw it and it landed in Rachel’s lap. “Oliver, we do not throw the book, you could have hurt me. You can put the book in the basket or you can move to another activity” Oliver picked the book up again and threw it behind him. “Ok you need to move to another activity, when you throw the book you can hurt someone or break the book."
Oliver walked to the dinosaur activity and dropped to the ground and began crying, kicking his arms and legs and pushed all of the dinosaurs off of the table.

-An analysis of the observations which includes:
[*]When and where does the behaviour occur?
- Drop off & collection
- When playing with or along side other children
- When educators appear to be busy or with other children
I don't really know how else to explain this question?

[*]Possible reasons for the behaviour
Oliver’s behaviour that he is displaying is mostly age appropriate for him to experiment with, but given that this behaviour is very consistent and progressing quickly even with attempts from educators to redirect and manage it is concerning.
Possible reasons for Oliver’s behaviour are:
- Individual characteristics such as temperament
- Personality
- Environmental factors
- Social and emotional development
- Cultural and family context
- Parenting styles
- Learnt behaviour from older brother or other peers
- Self-stimulation
- Gains the attention of others

[*]Impact on environment, program and other children
- Indangers other peers and educators
- Can damage property or activities
- Other children can be affected by his behaviour emotionally and physically, and possibly begin to repeat the same behaviour

[*]Assumed reasons for the behaviour
- To gain attention or reactions from educators and peers
- family context - learnt behaviours from others in family environment such as older brother
- family stress and/or possible domestic violence/abuse/neglect
I don't really know how else to answer this question?

[*]Activities and experiences enjoyed by the child
- One on one interactions with educators
- Reading
- Music and movement
- Dramatic play (dressu-ups and cooking in particular)
- Sensory play (water and sand in particular)
- Imaginitive play with cars and dinosaurs in particular

[*]Activities, experiences, routines which pose a challenge for the child
- Sharing play spaces with others
- Sharing toys & resources
- Interactions with children, more specifically children smaller then him
- Small group activities without teacher

If I could please have any suggestions and help for the above that would be amazing!!

Part 2:
I need to identify 1 long term goal and 2 short term goals (which will support the achievement of the long term goal) and strategies I will use to help the child achieve them.
Long Term Goal:
Oliver will positively interact in his environment with his peers and educators

Short Term Goal 1:
- For Oliver to stop being physically aggressive towards his peers and educators in times of distress, frustration and boredom?
Can I word this in a way that doesn't sound negative? or can I add anymore/clarify any further?

Strategies for S.T.G 1:
- Positive reinforcement for acceptable behaviour and positive interactions with peers and educators
- Ignore minor misbehaviour
Model appropriate behaviours
- Model and promote positive relationships
- Provide learning experiences that help develop effective and positive strategies to express emotions
- Redirection when behaviour occurs
- Use clear, simple and short instructions when discussing behaviour

Short Term Goal 2:
?To reduce separation anxiety and form a stronger relationship with Oliver's family?

Strategies for S.T.G 2:
- Build parent and educator relationship to gain understanding of any outside triggers
- Assess current transitions to adapt and develop to help with separation anxiety

I feel like these could be adjusted or changed but I am unsure if I am on the right track?

Discussion with the child:

Suggestions? As Oliver is only 20 months old, I am unsure of what to write for this section?

Discussion with other educators:
Other educators will provide support and guidance by:
- Reinforcing any positive interactions with his peers
- Educators will work alongside Oliver to coach/remind him to be gentle and positive in his interactions with others
- Remodel positive interactions with others
- Give clear and simple instructions for Oliver
- Be consistent in behaviour management strategies
- Ignore minor misbahaviours
- Build a stronger relationship with family

Sorry that this is extremely long I am really struggling with this and it is my last assignment before my due date at the end of this week, any help or suggestions is extremely appreciated.

I have already looked at the behaviour resources on Aussie Childcare Network such as 'Stages of Behaviour' and 'Behaviour Management Plans In Childcare' and while they are great resources I still seem to be struggling!

Thanks in advance :)

foreverlearning6

Re: Establish And Implement Plans For Developing Cooperative Behaviour

Post by foreverlearning6 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:02 am

Lorina, Hi Lorina, am I possibly able to get some assistance with this please?

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Oliver - Behaviour Management Plan

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:12 pm

You're plan is actually pretty good! :thumbup:

I have some more strategies you could add for your short goals:

Strategies For Short Goal 1

- Create a calming area or calming activities that Oliver will engage in during times of aggression.
- Remove him from area/peers when he is showing aggression.

Strategies For Short Goal 2

- Create a clear and consistent routine from home to care in the morning.
- Add a favourite activity in the morning which he can engage in when mum leaves.
- Have an educator be with him until he settles (read a book together once he calms down)
- Ask his mum to bring in his favourite toy which he can use to settle.

In regards to Discussions With The Child a few ideas:

- Assist him to understand the implications of his behaviour. For example: ouch it hurts, it makes me feel sad when you hit etc.
- Read stories about feelings to help Oliver understand.
- Talk about feelings etc.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

foreverlearning6

Post by foreverlearning6 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Awesome thank you so much Lorina! This has been a hard one for me, so many websites and resources were pulled in to finish this assessment!

One last question in regards to this assessment, it has asked me to write a Professional Reflection, this question is before the behaviour management plan is implemented/started with Oliver so I am unsure of what I need to address and reflect on. Can I please have some suggestions for what I can cover in my answer?

TIA :)

foreverlearning6

Post by foreverlearning6 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:33 pm

I modified my Discussions with the Child to:

Oliver responds very well to short and clear instructions throughout the daily routine and activities. He will typically respond verbally with yes, no, ta or peese (please), when verbally communicating.

When the physically aggressive behaviour occurs educators will use clear and simple instructions to remind Oliver how and why he needs to interact with his peers and educators positively by assisting him to understand the implications of his behaviour. For example: ouch it hurts, it makes me feel sad when you hit etc.

Educators will assist Oliver in social interactions in small or large groups where they can talk about feelings. For example: reading stories about feelings to help Oliver understand.

Educators will provide consistent positive reinforcement when Oliver displays positive interactions or forms relationships with his peers.

Do you think this is ok? Should I change any phrasing or words?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:04 pm

In regards to the Professional Reflection I think it wants you to reflect on Oliver's overall behaviour using the incidents as evidence for the behaviour he is displaying...

As for your Discussions with the Child - good response! :thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina