Scenario: Jock

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jia19

Scenario: Jock

Post by jia19 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:25 am

Could any one please help regarding this question? Thanks in advance
Referring to a Jock scenario

With reference to the scenarios Jock I, II and III what are the personal values and professional ethics that may challenge you if you were working with this family?

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Jock

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:16 am

I need more information on the scenario...

:geek:,
Lorina

jia19

Post by jia19 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:33 pm

Jock I
Jock (3.3 years) attends child care five days per week. Jock is the oldest of four children. He has a 2 year old brother, Tom and twin sisters aged 3 months. Jock has no contact with his father however his brother, Tom, sees their father intermittently. Jock’s mother, Ella, lives with her current partner, Pete, who is the father of the twins. The family live in a 3 bedroom rental property, although there is a large yard, it is unfenced on one side and is overgrown making it unsuitable for the children to play outside.
Ella and Pete use illicit drugs and Pete has regular episodes of binge drinking. Ella and Pete have a history of domestic violence. Pete is unemployed but occasionally works as a labourer. Often there is little or no food in the house. Pete spends his time at home drinking beer, smoking and watching sport or adult movies. The family are known to the police because of domestic violence. The children have been in temporary care on various occasions and are well known to government welfare officers. The family are also known to a number of community support agencies who regularly assist with food and clothing for the children.
Ella’s parents and sister (Sue) regularly have the children stay overnight on the weekends. The family have all but given up on Ella because of her drug abuse but try to maintain contact because of the children.
Jock and Pete don’t get along. Jock is frightened of Pete because he taunts him and calls him names such as stupid, idiot, brat, and sooky. Pete also threatens Jock and handles him roughly. Pete has very little patience with the children and the episodes of domestic violence are often triggered by Pete’s intolerance of the twins crying, or Jock and Tom making noise while playing.
Jock tends to assume a protective role with Tom and the twins. He also tries to protect Ella when she and Pete are arguing. Jock tells his mother he is going to kill Pete. Jock is very self-sufficient and often takes whatever food he can find in the house for himself and Tom.
At child care Jock tends to be a loner. He finds it difficult to share and likes to spend his time doing puzzles, drawing, playing with construction sets and looking at books. Tom also attends the centre and Jock insists on checking on him several times a day.
Jock and Tom often arrive at the centre in the same clothes as the previous day and without breakfast. The Educator caring for Jock suspects that the boys sleep in their clothes and rarely have a bath or brush their teeth. The staff are also very concerned about the care and wellbeing of the twins whom they suspect spend most of their time unattended in their cot.

Jock II
It is 9:45am and Jock and Tom arrive at the centre with Pete. The children are wearing the same clothes they have worn for the previous two days. Tom’s nappy is soaking and his pants are wet. Pete signs the children in and then calls out to Tom’s Educator, Kim, who is in the hallway, “Here’s a couple more little brats for you.”
Kim takes Jock and Tom to her room and then calls the Director and the Supervisor in Jock’s room. Another Educator goes to the kitchen to organise some breakfast for the children. Tom is bathed and changed and the Educator notes that he has quite severe nappy rash. It is a warm day and Jock is wearing a long-sleeved top and jeans. Jock is persuaded to remove his top and put on a T-shirt.
As they are eating breakfast Kim asks Jock what he had for dinner last night. Jock tells Kim that he had some biscuits. Kim notices that Jock has bruises of different colours on both of his upper arms. He also has a purple-reddish bruise on his forehead.

Jock III
It is 4:45pm and the Director receives a telephone call from Jock’s mother, Ella. She tells the Director she is trying to contact her mother or sister to come and collect the children. Ella is difficult to understand, she is slurring her words and repeats herself. The Director asks if Ella is okay, to which Ella responds, “Yeah, yeah, okay, not okay whatever.” The Director asks for the location of the twins. Ella laughs and says “In their cot, so they keep quiet.” Ella then says, “Can you ring Mum and get her to get the kids. She’ll do it if you ask. She thinks I’m no good.” Ella then hangs up.
The Director immediately telephones the child protection hotline and provides them with details of her conversation with Ella. The Director is extremely concerned for the welfare of the twins. The Director then telephones Ella’s mother who agrees to collect the boys and keep them with her for a few days. Ella’s mother tells the Director that she and her husband are going to seek custody of the boys and her daughter, Sue, is going to seek custody of the twins.
As the Director is heading down to speak to Jock and Tom’s teachers Pete arrives at the centre.
He bangs on the door and yells out, “Open up. I’m here for my kids.” Pete is obviously drunk or high on drugs. The Director speaks to him through the intercom and tells Pete that Ella’s mother is collecting the children. “No way is that interfering bitch getting them. I’ll kill them first!” Pete bangs and kicks on the door.
Several more parents have arrived to collect their children. The Director rings one of the parents and asks if he will direct the other parents to wait in the car park. She reassures the parents that all of the children are safe and Pete cannot get into the building.
The police are called and arrive 5 minutes later. After a brief altercation Pete is taken to the police station.
By now there are around a dozen parents who have witnessed the whole scene. As the parents file in to collect their children they are all talking about the incident. Some parents ask the Director about Jock and Tom. Other parents comment that Ella is a bad mother and doesn’t deserve to have children.
The Director thanks the parents for waiting until the situation had been resolved and tells them that she can’t discuss the matter. She reassures the parents that all of the children are safe and seem to be unaware of the incident.
Several of the staff later comment to the Director that the children ‘would be better off without Ella and Pete’.
The Director acknowledges that the situation is very stressful and reminds the team that they must act in an ethical manner. It is not up to the team to judge the family, but only to advocate for the best interests of the children. The Director reminds staff not to discuss the incident with other parents.

Question: With reference to the scenarios Jock I, II and III what are the personal values and professional ethics that may challenge you if you were working with this family?

I know its very simple and easy answer that i may have to deal with respect,confidentiality and honesty or ethical dilemma but i am just lost with words.i am not so sure about answer.

jia19

Post by jia19 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:45 pm

Support workplace policies, standards and practices that are fair, non-discriminatory and are in the best interest of children and families.

Regard myself as a learner who undertakes reflection, critical self-study, continuing professional development and engages with contemporary theory and practice.

is it ? kind of?

jia19

Post by jia19 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:47 pm

That is the only question left to complete my workbook

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:43 pm

So I think for this question you need to reflect on your own personal values and how they will effect you if you were dealing with this situation.
jia19 wrote:QR_BBPOST “Here’s a couple more little brats for you.”

When Pete says this wouldn't you want to say something like "no they are not brats if you actually spend time weren't drunk all the time you'd know". However, you can't even if that's what you feel. It's not ethical and you're being judgemental. This question is asking what are your personal values that will effect you when working with the family.

Hope this helps,

:geek:
Lorina

jia19

Post by jia19 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:56 pm

I got it. Thank you so much for your concern. thanks alot :-)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:00 pm

You're most welcome! :thumbup:

Lorina

Tuba

Post by Tuba » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:43 pm

What is personal values are? I have the same question but i still dnt get it

maddilil
Participator
Participator

Post by maddilil » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:34 am

I am actually having trouble with this question as well.
I know what you are meaning Lorina however just can't seem to work out how to put it in words.

Personal values and professional ethics will be a challenge as I would want to express my opinion/feelings about the situation/family.

That is all I have and I am unsure if it is even correct.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:16 am

Your values are the things that you believe are important in the way you live and work. ... When the things that you do and the way you behave match your values, life is usually good – you're satisfied and content. But when these don't align with your personal values, that's when things feel... wrong.

The following information may help:

Personal Values

Lorina