Scenario: Alexander - Heart Defect

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

Scenario: Alexander - Heart Defect

Post by Lillypad88 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Hello
I am stuck on a question in this assessment task and am hoping someone can help please?
Scenario
Alexander
Alexander Brown (4 years 2 months) has a heart defect (ventricular septal defect). Although Alexander has had the hole in his heart repaired he still must be closely monitored. Because his heart has had to work harder it is enlarged and he sometimes experiences symptoms such as breathlessness and increased heart rate. His parents constantly worry about him contracting childhood diseases and cold and chest infections.
Alexander’s mother was not keen to enrol him at the local preschool but his father insisted that Alexander be allowed to mix with other children and do ‘normal things’.
At the enrolment meeting with the educator Sarah, Mrs Brown explains that Alexander needs to be monitored throughout the day so that he doesn’t overexert himself.
Mrs Brown: ‘I think it would be best if you kept Alexander inside so that he’s not tempted to run around.’
Mr Brown, sounding annoyed says: ‘You know the doctor said it would be fine for him to play outside. We can’t wrap him up in cottonwool. It’s not fair to Alexander.’
Mrs Brown, looks down, ‘I know, I just worry about him.’
Mr Brown: ‘We both worry about him but I’m sure the staff here can keep a close eye on him and remind him not to overdo it.’
Sarah has been listening to the exchange between the Browns, ‘How about you tell me what it is safe for Alexander to do. We could go for a walk around the outdoor area and take a look at the equipment the children use. You can point out to me anything that you feel might be too strenuous for him. Mr Brown nods and Mrs Brown smiles, ‘Yes that sounds like a good idea.’
Sarah explains that the Browns will need to provide a medical management plan from Alexander’s doctor. ‘We can then work together to develop a risk minimisation plan which will clearly outline Alexander’s abilities and limitations. We make the plan available to all educators so that they understand Alexander’s specific care needs. The plan also documents how often we will review our care plan and how we communicate any concerns or new information that we need to consider’.
Mrs Brown: ‘Wow, it sounds like you have given the care of sick kids a great deal of thought! It’s very reassuring. It makes me feel like you will be able to take good care of my boy.’
As Sarah walks around with the Browns and talks about the activities that take place outdoors she reflects on how hard it must be for the Brown’s to trust others to care for Alexander.

1(a)What additional questions should Sarah ask about Alexander’s health to ensure that the team are fully informed of his health care needs?
Provide orientation day for families for the service to explain briefly and details the policy and procedures regarding individual health needs of children. This is for the protection of the child before entering into care. The service can gather information to families by:
 Enrolment forms
 Management plans
 Enrolment updates
 Immunisation Records
send a child information form for parents to fill out about their child's health
2(b) What adjustments might Sarah need to make to the daily routine for Alexander? (I'm stuck on this one)

2(c)What additional precautions may need to be put in place to minimise the health risks for Alexander (and this one)
Thank you

Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

Re: 002 MEDICAL MANAGEMENT PLAN ASSESSMENT TASKS

Post by Lillypad88 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:03 am

Can someone please help? :)

Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

Re: 002 MEDICAL MANAGEMENT PLAN ASSESSMENT TASKS

Post by Lillypad88 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:45 am

(b) What adjustments might Sarah need to make to the daily routine for Alexander?

2(c)What additional precautions may need to be put in place to minimise the health risks for Alexander?
Could anyone please help with this question? :)

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Alexander - Heart Defect

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:13 am

Lillypad88 wrote:QR_BBPOST 1(a)What additional questions should Sarah ask about Alexander’s health to ensure that the team are fully informed of his health care needs?

You could also ask questions like:

What do we do if Alexander develops shortness of breath?
What do we do if Alexander's hear rate increases?
Is there any medication Alexander is taking to reduce these symptoms? etc.

Lillypad88 wrote:QR_BBPOST (b) What adjustments might Sarah need to make to the daily routine for Alexander?

During transitions or music or movement experiences she may need to choose activities or experiences that accommodate Alexander more (nothing to physical).
Group games and outdoor play experiences may need to be reviewed to support Alexander etc.

Lillypad88 wrote:QR_BBPOST 2(c)What additional precautions may need to be put in place to minimise the health risks for Alexander?

Check children's immunisation records making sure that they are up to date.
If a child becomes unwell at the centre, isolate them away from the group until they get picked up.
Keep the room and equipment clean and disinfect them regularly.
Teach the children importance of hygiene by washing hands often.

Hope these help,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

Post by Lillypad88 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Thank you so much Lorina :)

tehmina50

Post by tehmina50 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:34 pm

(b) What adjustments might Sarah need to make to the daily routine for Alexander?

2(c)What additional precautions may need to be put in place to minimise the health risks for Alexander?
I need the exact answers for these