Purpose, Benefits & Resources Of Music & Movement Area

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Chocky

Purpose, Benefits & Resources Of Music & Movement Area

Post by Chocky » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Hello,
just wondering if people could look over this assignment and tell me what you think. Have I answered the ones I've answered correctly???
This is my first assignment for my Diploma, I'm studying through North Coast Tafe NSW.

Assessment
Event 1
Music and Movement Learning Centre

Creating music and movement learning centres as part of the regular environment provides children with the opportunity to experiment and explore music every day.
For this assessment you need to design a space either indoor or outdoor that promotes music and movement skills.
You will need to submit a picture representation of your space.
Choose a style that suits you:
You may wish to draw it; set up a mock space and photograph it; design it on the computer.
Note: The space does not have to contain conventional musical instruments or equipment
(Natural materials are encouraged).
Submit your picture along with the following information about your learning centre (space)

TRIED TO PUT PICTURE HERE BUT IT WON'T LET ME, IT'S FOR A PRESCHOOL ROOM.

1.1. Identify this age/stage of development this space has been organised for.

• This area is designed for the preschool room, ages 4-5 years
The stage of development of the children is Preoperational “Jean Piaget and Theory of cognitive development” Pre-Operations Stage (2yrs-7yrs)
Piaget states that - during this stage, children's thought processes are developing, although they are still considered to be far from 'logical thought', in the adult sense of the word. The vocabulary of a child is also expanded and developed during this stage, as they change from babies and toddlers into 'little people'. Pre-operational children are usually 'ego centric', meaning that they are only able to consider things from their own point of view, and imagine that everyone shares this view, because it is the only one possible. Gradually during this stage, a certain amount of 'decentering' occurs. This is when someone stops believing that they are the centre of the world, and they are more able to imagine that something or someone else could be the centre of attention.' Animism' is also a characteristic of the Pre-operational stage. This is when a person has the belief that everything that exists has some kind of consciousness. An example of this is that children often believe that a car won't start because it is tired or sick, or they punish a piece of furniture when they run into it, because it must have been naughty to hurt them. A reason for this characteristic of the stage is that the Pre-operational child often assumes that everyone and everything is like them. Therefore since the child can feel pain, and has emotions, so must everything else. Another aspect of the Pre-operational stage in a child is that of 'symbolism'. This is when something is allowed to stand for or symbolise something else. 'Moral realism' is a fourth aspect of this stage, this is the belief that the child's way of thinking about the difference between right and wrong, is shared by everyone else around them. One aspect of a situation, at one time, is all that they are able to focus on, and it is beyond them to consider that anything else could be possible. Due to this aspect of the stage, children begin to respect and insist on obedience of rules at all times, and they are not able to take anything such as motives into account. (Jean Piaget)

• Here is a table of Stages Of Development relevant to the Preschool room 4-6 years “Understanding children’s development”

Stages of development 4 years 5 years
Physical development (gross and fine motor) • Can aim and throw and catch a large ball
• Walks backwards and on a line
• Runs and hops
• Builds a large tower
• Can brush own teeth
• Cuts round an object with scissors and copies a square
• Buttons and unbuttons clothes
• Can do a 12-piece jigsaw • Skips
• Runs quickly
• Easily dresses and undresses
• Hits a ball with a bat
• Draws a person with a head, body and legs, and a house
• Can do a 20-piece jigsaw
• Forms letters and writes own name
• Accurately uses scissor
Social and emotional development • Enjoys co-operative and dramatic play
• Understands co-operation and competition
• Responds to reasoning
• Can take turns
• Enjoys independence but still needs comfort and reassurance • Becomes engrossed in activities
• Develops fears of ghosts, things under the bed
• Concerned about being disliked
• Good sense of self-awareness develops
3–4 years 4–8 years
Language and communication skills • Imitates adult speech
• Can be understood by strangers
• Forms short, grammatically correct sentences
• Asks many questions of the type: what? why? and how?
• Knows parts of body, animals
• Still makes errors of tenses • Speech is fluent and correct, using descriptive language
• Gives full name, age, birthday and address
• Enjoys jokes, singing, rhymes, etc.
• Rapidly expanding vocabulary – 5,000 words by five years
• Recognises new words and asks the meaning of them
• Will accurately copy accents heard
• Produces most sounds, with some residual difficulty with some letter group
Intellectual development By 5 years
• Copies square, and range of letters – some spontaneously
• Draws man with head, body, arms, legs and features, and will draw house
• Colours pictures neatly
• Names primary colours and matches ten or more colours
• Knows time of day for basic activities, for example breakfast, bedtime
• Matches symbols, letters and numbers
• Can decide on lighter and heavier objects
• Understands, in front of, behind, next to
Counts to 20 by rote

• Psychomotor learning is the relationship between cognitive functions and physical movement. Psychomotor learning is demonstrated by physical skills such as movement, coordination, manipulation, dexterity, grace, strength, speed; actions which demonstrate the fine motor skills such as use of precision instruments or tools, or actions which evidence gross motor skills such as the use of the body in dance, musical or athletic performance. Playing a musical instrument is a perfect example of psychomotor learning. 

1.2 Identify the purpose of this space and your considerations of its location in relation to the remainder of the centre

Purpose –
My music space is called “Playing, Creating, Exploring & Moving.”
1. Playing real instruments
2. Creating craft made instruments
3. Exploring different materials that exist in our world that can be used as instruments
4. Moving to the music (dancing) and movement through the space

Learning music is one of the most exciting things a child can do, as music is a skill you keep for life.
My music space is designed to let the children choose what sort of musical experience they are in the mood for, and every time they enter my music space, they have the choice to choose a different experience. They may choose to-
1. Sit down and play the existing instruments in a conventional fashion e.g. holding a drum and drumsticks and playing it.
2. Create their own instruments using the natural and recycled resources available on the table provided. (Such as boxes, tape, rubber bands, glue, paint etc.)
3. Travel through my musical circuit, consisting of everyday items that are attached to the walls and roof through different means, so that they can move freely through and explore different sounds.
(Please note: You cannot see my musical circuit in my pictures, as it would be suspended from the roof. I want to hang items from the roof from hooks, netting and ribbons, so that they can be easily changeable by staff. Such items would include spoons for tapping, plastic bottles with dry filling to shake, chimes to play. Coconut shells to bang together.
I like the idea of these items be suspended, so that they can move through the circuit and just let go, there’s nothing to put away or pack up, so the children can spend more time using the instruments. We would have a large assortment of things to play, and change often to eliminate boredom.
I want my space to be very interesting, so that it encourages the children to come back and experience music a little bit differently every time.
I want the children to learn something new each time they play there, and to follow their own instincts using imagination and creativity.

Location –
The location considerations of my music space are keeping in line with the rest of the preschool room.
My music space is located in the farthest corner away from the “quiet corner.”
Because of the nature of the music space being one that creates excessive loud noises, I have taken that into consideration when designing, and have tried to add elements that will reduce noise.
As it is part of the preschool room, it cannot be a separate room in itself, but I have added some extra interior walls to help absorb the music. So my space has 3 full size walls, one with a window, but all with sound proofing insulation added.
Carpet is a natural insulator, so I would like to hang some large carpet rugs on the walls to serve as both decoration and sound absorption.
I would also add additional carpet rugs to the already carpeted floor, as double insulation.
Taking these extra considerations will allow the children to have more access to the music space, without interrupting or disturbing the rest of the children in the room.
I have placed the music space furthest away from the places where the children would require quiet, such as the “quiet corner” and “the group time mat”, where the children sit during group time and during free play time where they like to do puzzles.

1.3. List resources, which will be available to the children within the learning centre.
My music space will be an assortment of new and old, handmade, imaginary and professionally made instruments.

Real instruments Handmade instruments Everyday items

• Tapping sticks
• Tambourines
• Bongo drums
• Symbols
• Triangles
• Mini keyboards
• Mini guitars • Drums
• Chimes
• Hand bells
• Guitar
• Horn
• Cymbals
• Shakers
• Tambourine

Instructions on how to make these as follows … • Spoons
• Bottles
• Tubing/pipes
• Chopsticks
• Plastic jars
• Uncooked rice
• Uncooked lentils
• rubber bands

Here are some examples of the home made instruments that the children and staff will be able to create together.

DRUM
• Empty cereal box
• Wool
• Pen
• 2 chopsticks
• coloured paper
• crayons
Before beginning, you can decorate the cereal box with coloured paper and/or crayons for a colourful effect.
Lay the box on its side. Use a pen to make a hole in the sides of the box. Through these holes, pull a piece of wool long enough to hang around child's neck and down to their waist.
Use the chopsticks for the drumsticks.
Beat to play.

CHIMES
• ruler or stick
• beads
• string
• spoon
• tape
Hang the beads from the ruler or stick with pieces of string by wrapping the string around the ruler or stick and securing with tape. Strike the beads with the spoon to play.
Note: You can make this craft colourful by painting the beads first with different colours, such as red, gold, glittery, etc.

HAND BELLS
• 2 paper towel rolls
• hole punch
• 4 jingle bells
• string or wool
Punch a hole in each end of the paper towel rolls. Tie two jingle bells to each side of the paper towel rolls by running string or wool through the holes and carefully tying off.
Shake to play.

GUITAR
• empty shoe box
• rubber bands
• ruler or stick
Remove the cover from the box. Stretch the rubber bands around the box. Attach the ruler or stick to the back of the box on one end to act as the arm of the guitar.
To play, strum or pluck the rubber bands.

HORN
• paper towel roll
• waxed paper
• rubber band
• pen
Cover one end of the paper towel roll with waxed paper; secure it with a rubber band. Punch a row of holes along one side of the roll with the tip of a pen.
To play, sing a tune into the open end of the horn. CYMBALS
• two matching pot covers
• ribbon
Tie the ribbon around the handles of the pot covers. To play, strike together.

SHAKERS
• clean empty bottles such as soft drink
• Filling such as uncooked rice / buttons / beads etc…
• Glue
Take an empty bottle and fill it with approx. half a cup or shaker filling such as rice.
Place some glue on the thread of the bottle neck.
Screw the lid over the glue onto the bottle neck.
Shake to make sound.

TAMBOURINE
• Foil pie pan
• Hole punch
• Jingle bells
• string
Punch holes in the edges of the foil pie pan.
At each hole, tie a small jingle bell to the pan with string. Now jingle those bells!

1.4. List your safety considerations in relation to the learning centre. How many children can use the space at one time and how will children independently know if there is room for them?

Number of children –
My space is designed for approx. 14 children maximum at a time.
• There is a craft table for 8 people (children & staff)
• A couch for 2 people
• A instrument mat for approx. 2 people
• And the circuit can have 2 people at a time.

The children will be taught the rules of the music space, one of which is the number of children allowed in the space at one time.
Once they have remembered the music space rules, the children will be aware if they are able to enter the music space because it has several visual clues-
• Are there any seats left at the craft table?
• Is there any room on the couch?
• How many children are sitting on the instrument mat?
• How many children are using the music circuit?

When the children look over and see, and take these questions into consideration, they will be able to work out if there is enough room for them in the space.
This together with verbal reminders from staff, and visual aids for the children to see placed throughout the music space, will eventually inform the children to independently know if room is available. This will happen once they have learnt and remembered the rules of the space.

Safety considerations –
The physical environment plays an important role in creating safe and secure settings for young children.
They need to be able to move about safely, in an environment free of clutter, slippery floors, or rumpled rugs.
I have tried to ensure that the space has separate areas, so that the children will feel a sense of security in which ever zone they are in.
The craft table is located at the back so that children do not have to walk past others using scissors to get somewhere else.
I have placed the area for playing real instruments at the front so that heavy instruments don’t have to be carried a far distance.
Also I have added the storage for the instruments right at the front so that they are in close proximity to where they would sit and play i.e. - the couch, bean bags or the mat.
With the music circuit, I have placed barriers (i.e.- the storage cabinets) in between to separate the moving children from the stationary children. This is to prevent collisions and accidents.
NEED HELP HERE-

1.5. Describe aesthetic aspects of your space and how your space is inclusive.

Aspects –
My music space, as would be my whole preschool room, would feel more like a home than an institution.
Because of this, I would draw on my own experiences as a mother of 3 children, and also as child care educator to make sure that my music space felt very welcoming and homely.
That is why I would like to include a couch and beanbags to sit on while they play instruments, as that is what they would most likely be sitting on if they were at home.
I want to include everyday household items, such as pots and pans, because that is also what children play music on when at home.
NEED HELP HERE-

Inclusive – ?
NEED HELP HERE-

1.6. Describe how this space facilitates the children’s play and understanding in relation to musical concepts and physical skills.

I believe this music space facilitates children’s play and understanding in relation to musical concepts and physical skills by-

Musical concepts –
Musical skills compatible with the ages of young children (two to six years) and their developmental stages of learning (sensorimotor and preoperational) might include the following:
1. Learning to sing tunefully.
2. Learning to respond rhythmically to music through creative movement and instrumental expression.
3. Learning to play simple classroom instruments that do not require fine muscular coordination.
4. Learning to develop attentive listening habits.
(Authors - Dr Berenice Nyland – RMIT University Dr Jill Ferris – RMIT University Jan Deans – University of Melbourne)

Pitch
Pitch in music refers to the notes of a particular song or musical score. Notes range from very high to low. Children can learn this beginning concept when they are played songs that are easily identifiable by their varied pitch.

Tempo
Tempo refers to the speed of music, which affects the way a song sounds. Tempo may be constant or change during a song. Children will begin to understand the musical concept of tempo by listening to and singing songs of varying speeds. Tempo can be learned by hearing a fast-paced song followed by a slow-paced song, or singing one song all the way through, then singing it again at a faster pace and then again, faster still. By practicing the concept of tempo in music as they learn it, children are more likely to understand it.

Rhythm
Rhythm refers to a pattern of sounds and silences in music, either in a steady beat or varying beats. Many different rhythms may be used in one song. Play songs with simple, constant rhythms for children to understand before introducing songs with more complicated rhythm.
NEED HELP HERE-

1.7. Describe how changes to your space will allow children’s curiosity, creativity and problem solving to be extended.

This space will be both permanent and used in the room programming.
By this I mean there will be aspects that are available at all times during free play, and aspects that will be included throughout the weekly / monthly programming only.

My space is fully interactive.
With the displayed instruments being replaceable by staff, this allows the space to continually change. We would have an assortment of instruments stored in the store room, so that different ones can be brought out and rotated on the instrument shelf.

In the creating area of the music space, we would have on our shelves several examples of instruments that the children had made, so that if they wish, they may use them as a visual guide, however, we would encourage the children to have a go at designing one for themselves. Some children feel they need to see one already made, so models to guide them with will be always there if they wish.
We would have a vast assortment of materials, from cardboard boxes to paper cups, from sticks and twigs, to leaves and bark. There is nothing that cannot be used in in the eyes of children, and we would attempt to provide them with an ever changing array of interesting craft items.

I would like to suggest to the children that they have a look around their world, and see what ideas they could come up with. Maybe they have a brother that plays the guitar, or maybe they have a sister that plays a flute? Anywhere that they have seen or heard a musical instrument, they could tell us the idea and we would try to make it.

Our aim for the children would be that they could independently use at least 2 aspects of the Music space-
1. Using and playing the musical instruments
2. Moving through and playing with the Music Circuit.
The craft part of the Music Space would have a staff member there to guide them.

So that our space constantly changes, but keeps the theme of a music space, I would like to incorporate it into our programming on a weekly basis.
For example, when we are studying the environment, we could have an ocean theme in the circuit…

Examples of Extended Learning in my Music Space
Theme Area of Learning What We Could Do Resources
Under the Sea Our Environment • Use the sea shells to listen to the sounds of the ocean.
• Make shakers with water and seaweed to imitate the sounds of the waves
• Hang various ocean items up in our circuit to tap and make musical sounds
Sea Shells,
Rocks/pebbles, Sand, Water, Seaweed,
Cooking with Gas Nutrition • Listen to the sounds of something cooking in the pan
• Make musical instruments out of healthy food packaging
• Hang various cooking items up in our circuit to tap and make musical sounds
Pots, Pot lids, Pans, Wooden spoons,
Interactive whiteboard
Cd’s, cd player
What Culture is this? Cultural diversity •
• Listen to different cultural music from around the world, and play along with our instruments.
• Discuss the different musical concepts between music that we know, and music from around the world.
• Hang various cultural items up in our circuit to tap and make musical sounds
• Musical instruments from other cultures & countries
• Items to make different cultural instruments
Listen to our bodies Health & Wellbeing • Hang various health items up in our circuit to tap and make musical sounds

1.8. Describe how you can encourage children’s independence and autonomy through this space.

I believe that with my music space, the children will be able to be independent in their choices.
Given the choice of 4 different and changeable experiences within the music space (Playing, Creating, Exploring & Moving) this will encourage them to try new skills.
They will be able to be curious, they will be able to explore their environment, and they will be able to express their feelings freely in regards to deciding what they wish to do.
My space will provide them the opportunity to be confident in their decision making.
In working with the caregivers during the creating crafts, they will gain a sense of belonging as they sit around the craft table, and have a chance to develop a good relationship with the primary caregiver.
The Caregiver will offer support, guidance and reassurance, which will help promote the child’s trust in others, and also the ability to be able to accept help and guidance.
The Caregiver will also offer confirmation and recognition of efforts.
The child during the craft experience will have the opportunity to be motivated to do things for self, take pride in their new skills, and learn that failure is a learning process.
During the playing of the existing instruments, the children will experience a sense of being more self-sufficient.
During play with other children they will be able become more sociable.

I believe that by providing all of the choices in my music space, we as Carers would be-
• providing opportunities for them to develop their own skills, and self-help skills
• Involving them in the decision making
• We would step them through the decision making process
• Allowing them to make suggestions
• Allow them to make their own decisions
• Allowing them to feel confident and secure in their decision making
• Allowing them to understand the consequences of their actions (e.g... If you cut it there, it won’t be long enough for your guitar handle.)

1.9. Which EYLF Outcomes will be promoted by your learning Centre? (Make sure you back up your Outcomes with a specific example)

The following Outcomes will be promoted by my music space.
I believe this to be true because –
• I have included instruments that require children to use complex sensory motor skills (such as ….)
• I have also included instruments that use technology, which the children will become familiar with.
• I will teach the children how to use these instruments using technologies.
• I will encourage the children to explore their own ideas and use their own imagination by providing a creation space where the children design and create their own instruments.
• My music space combines gross and fine motor movement.
• The children will use manipulation skills.
• They will respond to the movement of the music by …..
• I will plan to incorporate dance by …..
• There will be a wide variety of activities. Using the resources provided the children will be encouraged to use fine and gross motor skills.

OUTCOME 3: CHILDREN HAVE A STRONG SENSE OF WELLBEING
This is evident, for example, when children:
• engage in increasingly complex sensory motor skills and movement patterns
• combine gross and fine motor movement and balance to achieve increasingly complex patterns of activity including dance, creative movement and drama
• use their sensory capabilities and dispositions with increasing integration, skill and purpose to explore and respond to their world
• manipulate equipment and manage tools with increasing competence and skill
• respond through movement to traditional and contemporary music, dance and storytelling
Educators promote this learning, for example, when they:
• plan for and participate in energetic physical activity with children, including dance, drama, movement and games
• provide a wide range of tools and materials to resource children’s fine and gross motor skills

OUTCOME 5: CHILDREN ARE EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATORS
This is evident, for example, when children:
• identify the uses of technologies in everyday life and use real or imaginary technologies as Props in their play
• use information and communication technologies as tools for designing, drawing, editing, reflecting and composing
• engage with technology for fun and to make meaning
Educators promote this learning, for example, when they:
• provide children with access to a range of technologies
• integrate technologies into children’s play experiences and projects
• teach skills and techniques and encourage children to use technologies to explore new information and represent their ideas

ANY HELP WOULD BE FANTASTIC,
Cheers
Chocky
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Purpose, Benefits & Resources Of Music & Movement Area

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:38 am

Hi Chocky,

Very informative response... While reading your response I could visually see how you wanted the music area to be set up...I loved the name you had come up with "Playing, Creating, Exploring and Moving" and I also love the idea you have on hanging different musical instruments from the ceiling. It's also a nice idea to incorporate playing musical instruments as well as the children having the option of creating their own... I really like your overall idea! : thumbup:
As it is part of the preschool room, it cannot be a separate room in itself, but I have added some extra interior walls to help absorb the music. So my space has 3 full size walls, one with a window, but all with sound proofing insulation added.
Carpet is a natural insulator, so I would like to hang some large carpet rugs on the walls to serve as both decoration and sound absorption.
I would also add additional carpet rugs to the already carpeted floor, as double insulation.

Just with this comment you made, I know it sounds like a great idea but practically speaking I don't think this would be possible. I think it would probably cost a centre a lot of money to set up a room with sound proofing and to add interior walls and additional carpet. Instead like you already mentioned you could have this area set up in the furthest area away from quiet area and use shelving or dividers to keep this area seperated. Another idea is to put an "open/close" sign for this particular experience. So in the morning upon arrival and during quiet times this area could be "closed" and you could "open" it throughout indoor play etc... This is just to allow you to control when you want this space to be open.

The rest of your responses are well understood...

Good Luck!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Dragonstorm
Participator
Participator

Re: Purpose, Benefits & Resources Of Music & Movement Area

Post by Dragonstorm » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:01 am

Hi there chocky

Hope this helps you.
The section where you say "My space is fully interactive" goes on to say about the ability to change instruments over. Would it be worth to consider over stimulation such as that stated by the Arousal modulation theory (Berlyne. 1960.)? Would it be worthwile to limit the number of instruments etc. to avoid the possibiltiy of loss of focus? As im not too sure how many instruments your intending to use at a time I thought it might be worth writting incase you missed it.
Do you need to keep in mind the theories associated with development in this assignment or not?
I only say this because I am currently the theories section of my BA so its fresh in my head....
Let me know..
Andrew R
reference for your interest

Dockett, S., Fleer, M. (1999) PLAY and Pedagogy in Early Childhood, Bending the Rules. South Melbourne, Vic, Cengage Learning.
page 44