PROMOTING HEALTH AND SAFETY

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
saraaa

PROMOTING HEALTH AND SAFETY

Post by saraaa » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Hello. Dear Lorina please help me with this question. I am posting the scenario here and my response and teacher's reply . I am getting re submissions and cant help myself more. Thanks in advance for help.

scenario:
Imogen
Imogen (2.6yrs) was not her usually bubbly self yesterday and Irene, the educator is surprised to see her arriving with her father. Irene’s greets Imogen and her father while she scans Imogen. She is very pale and lethargic, has a runny nose, watery eyes and is hot to touch.
When Irene questions Imogen’s father he tells her in an annoyed tone that Imogen kept everyone awake last night because she couldn’t sleep. He suggests that she might be ready for a sleep right away.
Irene suggests to the father that Imogen should not be at the centre as she is unwell and may be contagious. Father becomes immediately angry. “Well she can’t go home, I have an important meeting and my wife is out of town on business”. Irene then asks if a relative or friend could care for Imogen today. Father responds: “No, that’s what we pay you to do. I don’t know why you’re making such a big issue of this. She’s just has a runny nose. If you put her to bed she’ll probably sleep for hours, so it’ll be an easy day’s work for you.”
Father then kisses Imogen and hurries out the door. Imogen, sensing the tension begins to cry. Irene comforts Imogen and goes to find her supervisor to tell her what has happened. Irene’s supervisor is annoyed with her: “Irene, you know the policy. You should have insisted that Imogen could not attend today. Put Imogen down for a sleep and then go and ring her mother and see what time she’ll be back.”
Irene walks away still holding Imogen’s hand and wondering what she could have done to change the outcome.

My response:
Question: If you were Irene’s supervisor, what feedback would you give her in relation to her actions.

answer: Supervisor can say to Irene that child’s health issues requires to be respected and it is required to inform parents that they can go in supervisor room and can talk to the supervisor.( it is supervisor responsibility to explain the centre’s policy to the parents about child health issues or centre’s concerns).
Also , If Imogen is already in the centre then the educator has to take care of her. Child cannot be ignored. If she sees any worsening symptoms then she immediately inform the supervisor or manager. Supervisor can tell Educator to follow all health and safety which is required for the Imogen.

Teacher's response: It is quite clear reading through the scenario that there was an attempt to inform parent that child is unwell however, the response from the parent was negative. This does happen sometimes, so you need to know how to address it from a directors point of view. Please detail the feedback you can give in regards to her performance- constructive criticism could be applied here. It is great that you mentioned that she could have asked him to meet the supervisor- this can be given as feedback after.

Please help .
Thank you so much