Peer Scaffolding

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
princess-1978

Peer Scaffolding

Post by princess-1978 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi guys,

I am just unsure if I am on the right track with this question and hoping that someone can help me.

Define peer scaffolding and provide one example of how you could facilitate peer scaffolding.

My answer:

Peer scaffolding is the process by which peers model or demonstrate the problem solving process then step back and offer support as needed. For example if a toddler is having a difficult time in completing a puzzle that another child can do easily then we would ask child #2 to assist child #1.

Not sure if I am on way off track or not.

Thanks for any help that you can give me xxx

Lorina

Re: Peer Scaffolding

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:33 am

Yes I understand what you mean... I found this:
Scaffolding is an instructional technique whereby the teacher models the desired learning strategy or task, then gradually shifts responsibility to the students. Scaffolding essentially means doing some of the work for the student who isn't quite ready to accomplish a task independently.

So, maybe for peer scaffolding the toddlers do the puzzle together and child 1 says "put the puzzle there like this" and shows child 2 where to put the puzzle piece. So, basically what you said of a child helping another child to complete a task...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

princess-1978

Re: Peer Scaffolding

Post by princess-1978 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks Lorina x