Observations - Running Record

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Catherine Schneider

Observations - Running Record

Post by Catherine Schneider » Sat May 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Hi there
I'm hoping I'm posting this correctly. I'm currently studying the Diploma at Tafe SA in Adelaide. One of the assessments for Implementing Best Practice Assessment 3A - Documentation - Making learning visible in early childhood. The question is What did you notice the child doing and saying that was significant to their learning and development? Record a minimum of 5 observations of each child using 3 different methods of recording. One method must be a learning story. Gather meaningful information that identifies their learning through interactions (include the child's voice), strengths, skills and understandings. Attach your anecdotal, specimen, work example, learning story, photos with jottings or other.

So far I have written the following, Would it be considered a running record? I have placed the word the child or my observation child in here but on my assessment I will have the child's name.

Observation 4 – Running Record.

Tuesday 17th May 2016 at 10:30 am

Today I had set up gloop for the children to play with outside. I used this as my active learning environment for my observation child because he enjoyed playing with the moon sand I had out the week before. The child was at the other end of the yard playing on the slide. A group of children gathered around and watched as I made the gloop. The child still was playing on the slide. A few of the older children placed their hands straight in as soon as I had finished making it and they were making a lot of mess but having fun. One of my work colleagues called out to the children that were playing elsewhere including my observation child to see if they would like to come and see what was happening.
Some of the children came over. The child didn’t come over. He kept playing on the slide.
My observation child wondered over but stood back behind everyone, watching what was going on.
There was some room closer to the tub so the child got closer.
He bent down and looked at it and watched what the other children were doing.
He used the tip of his fingers to touch the gloop and pinched it as he brought it up close to his face.
He then wiped his fingers on his pants and walked away back to the slide.

Thank you in advance and hope it makes sense.
Catherine

Lorina

Re: Observations - Running Record

Post by Lorina » Sun May 22, 2016 11:28 am

Writing a running record requires the educator to act like a video camera, recording all significant behaviours and interactions as they happen. Whereas anecdotal records are written after the fact, running records are written as the action is unfolding. If you were to read one out loud, it might sound a bit like the running commentary of a sports event: “Cournoyer passes the puck to Savard. Savard carries the puck down the boards, over the blue line. He winds up, he shoots, he scores!”

Sample running record

Annette kneels down next to Maya and begins wiping her face with a wet cloth. As Annette starts to wipe Maya’s right hand, Maya grabs the cloth with her left hand and yanks it away from Annette. Annette asks, “You wanna do it?” Maya starts wiping her mouth and tongue, clutching the cloth tightly in both hands. Annette smiles, claps her hands together and exclaims, “OK! Good job!” Annette reaches out and begins to lift Maya’s bib over her head. Maya transfers the wet cloth to her right hand, then, as the bib is lifted up and over her head, grabs it with both hands again. She wipes the cloth across her cheek and mouth, then vigorously swipes at her tongue four times.

Ref: Running Records

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Catherine Schneider

Post by Catherine Schneider » Sun May 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Thank you.

Shivaneh

Post by Shivaneh » Sat May 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi every body,

What is the difference between running record and Learning story?

Thanks Shiva

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue May 30, 2017 1:08 pm

Shivaneh wrote:Hi every body,

What is the difference between running record and Learning story?

Thanks Shiva
This may help:

Different Types Of Observation Methods

:geek:,
Lorina