LA017397 - Scenario: Lucy

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ameljor

LA017397 - Scenario: Lucy

Post by ameljor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:52 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: LA017397 Legislative Cluster
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Lucy is six months old and attends an education and care service Mon, Wed and Friday. Lucy’s mother is Aboriginal and a night packer at the local shops so dad drops Lucy off and mum picks her up. They live in a community where police often visit due to frequency of violence. It is Monday and Lucy’s father drops her off. Lucy has just started to sit up whilst aided with soft pillows around her. You attempt to sit Lucy down but she screams and puts her hands up for you. Lucy’s father tells you she has been like this all morning and he has had enough and needs to get to work and he leaves.
You decide to check Lucy’s nappy when you notice the nappy is soaked through; she has a nappy rash that has resulted in her bottom bleeding and a large red hand print at the top of her leg. Lucy is screaming as you attempt to place a clean nappy on her. You gently place nappy cream on her bottom as permission has been granted on the enrolment form and pick Lucy up to console her.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Yes I will make a report, as this is a baby and cannot communicate to me what is wrong and I am concerned about the red handprint at the top of her leg, and feel that by reporting this incident, the family will be able to get help and support.

Description and Message:
I would really appreciate another perspective on this, as now I am wondering if reporting the incident is the right thing to do, or just speak with the family instead.
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

oaklie61

Re: Reporting to DHS

Post by oaklie61 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:16 pm

hi, You are definitely doing the right thing by reporting this to your supervisor. I would not speak to the family myself until I had spoken to my director.

ameljor

Post by ameljor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi thanks for your reply, I realise I wasn't very clear, I mean should I make a mandatory reporting of child abuse/neglect?

ameljor

Post by ameljor » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:57 am

Hi, could someone please give me an idea on what to do here! In this scenario I am a mandatory reporter, and I am not sure if I would report this incident or not to the appropriate authorities. thank you

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:02 am

Yes you will need to report this incident. It appears there cold be physical abuse and neglect happening here...

:geek:,
L.A

Hunny

Re: LA017397 - Scenario: Lucy

Post by Hunny » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:10 am

will the parents be notified, i think yes and we can assist them or to help them to access other support services such as Family Referral Services or local support services help me if my answer is satisfactory thanks.

Jazz

Post by Jazz » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:54 pm

8. Looking at the approved learning framework for your state, explain how you would use the outcomes to provide ongoing support and learning for James and Lucy.

9. What cultural considerations will you need to consider in relation to James and Lucy?

Can anyone offer any advice here? I have ploughed through the rest of the assignment but I am stumped as to whet to write for both these questions?

Jazz

Post by Jazz » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:56 pm

Should probably include the scenario on James as its not above.
James is 4yrs old and attends the local education and care service Monday to Friday. James has a younger brother Tom who is 2yrs old and stays at home and an older brother Max 10yrs who attends the local school .James has always been a pleasant boy with many friends but recently his behaviour has changed. He is aggressive with all the children including his friends. You have asked his family if they know of any reason why James is behaving this way. They explain that an older cousin Tony has come to stay with them but he loves James and cannot see how this would have a negative effect on his behaviour. Mum who is from Iran and speaks limited English said “money very tight since James’s dad had accident and not work much, so Tony staying to help so she can do night work and try and bring in some more money.”
Today James is at the lunch table when another child accidently spills water over James. James yells at the child and attempts to punch him. You stop James and ask him to get his bag so you can assist him to change into dry clothes whilst another educator ensures the other child is ok. James gets his bag but states very clearly he does not want your help. You respect this but standby near the bathroom to ensure he is safe. As you check to see if James is ok you notice as he pulls his shorts down some large bruising on his thigh.

Jazz

Post by Jazz » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:02 am

ok so I had a go, not sure if this is right but after hours of searching this is all I could come up with?

8. Looking at the approved learning framework for your state, explain how you would use the outcomes to provide ongoing support and learning for James and Lucy.
Answer:
With the families consent I could call Inclusion support Agencies.
Inclusion support agencies are external agencies which work with Education and Care settings to support the inclusion and development of children with additional needs, these include children:
• With a disability
• From culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
• With a refugee or humanitarian intervention background
• Indigenous children

9. What cultural considerations will you need to consider in relation to James and Lucy?
Answer:
• Be aware of your own cultural background/experiences, attitudes, values, and biases that might influence your ability to assist clients from diverse cultural populations. It is essential that you correct any prejudices and biases you may have regarding different cultural groups.
• Educate yourself wherever possible to enhance your understanding and to address the needs of culturally diverse clients. This may involve learning about cultural, social, psychological, political, economic, and historical material specific to the particular ethnic group being served.
• Recognise that ethnicity and culture may have an impact on a client’s behaviour.
• Assist clients to become aware of their own cultural values and norms, and facilitate discovery of ways clients can apply this awareness to their own lives and to society at large, as well as within the organisation.
• Respect the client’s religious and/or spiritual beliefs and values.
• Work to eliminate biases, prejudices, and discriminatory practices.
• Provide information in a language that the client can understand.
• Provide information in writing, along with oral explanations.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:56 am

For Q1 - you need to refer to the learning outcomes within the EYLF. Using these outcomes choose the ones that could be used to support Lucy and James. The following may help:

How Children Can Achieve EYLF Learning Outcomes

For Q2 - I think you're on the right track. :thumbup:

Hope this helps,

L.A

ozzie

Post by ozzie » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:16 pm

hi I am also doing this same cluster I am stuck on these few questions, I do have some answers as well but I am not sure.... I am doing this diploma Online and having lot of difficulties in finding answers... can some one help me on following ques....
Q1) What is your duty of care? Can you see any conflicts with abiding with the code of ethics and fulfilling your duty of care?
A- not sure need help ASAP.

Q2) What sections of the UN rights of the child do these scenarios link to?
A- Article-39 Children who have been neglected or abused should receive special help to restore their self-respect.

Q3) What are the laws/acts in your state/territory that you need to follow in relation to reporting risk of harm? (State and commonwealth)

Q4) What section of the National Quality Standards Area 2 do these scenarios link to?

Q5) Can you share information from these scenarios with other organisations? Explain your answer.

Q6) Where will the documentation for these two children be kept?
A6- NOT SURE-The records must be kept—
(a) if the record relates to an incident, illness, injury or trauma suffered by a child while being educated and cared for by the education and care service, until the child is aged 25 years;
(b) if the record relates to an incident, illness, injury or trauma suffered by a child that may have occurred following an incident while being educated and cared for by the education and care service, until the child is aged 25 years;
(c) if the record relates to the death of a child while being educated and cared for by the education and care service or that may have occurred as a result of an incident while being educated and cared for, until the end of 7 years after the death.

SOMAYA

Post by SOMAYA » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:58 pm

1. What sections of the Early Childhood Australia’s code of ethics do these scenarios link to?
a) In relation to children United nations conventions on the rights of the child.
b) In relation to Families

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:02 am

SOMAYA wrote:1. What sections of the Early Childhood Australia’s code of ethics do these scenarios link to?
a) In relation to children United nations conventions on the rights of the child.
b) In relation to Families
ECA - Code Of Ethics

Lorina