Independence

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
brookeamy
Participator
Participator

Independence

Post by brookeamy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:01 am

Scenario:
The Wang family arrived in Australia from China 4 months ago. Their son, Yim has been attending the Children’s Service for 1 month.
Mrs. Wang was very distressed when she learned that the educator was not feeding her child, instead leaving him to feed himself finger food.
Mrs. Wang: “You are not caring for my child. You must feed him. He is only two and does not know that he must eat regularly. If you don’t feed him I will not know how much he has eaten. This is very important to me. I always feed my children properly. I am a good mother.”
Educator: “Yim (18months) can feed himself very successfully. I do supervise him but it’s important that he learns to feed himself. Remember he is one of ten children. I just don’t have the time to feed him!”
Later the educator shared the incident with her colleagues. “I don’t know why she made such a big issue over Yim feeding himself. You’d think she’d be pleased to see him becoming independent!”

Questions:
1. What should the educator take into account when reflecting on Mrs Wang’s concerns?
2. In light of this statement, write a more sensitive and appropriate response.

Answers:
1. The educator should acknowledge Mrs Wang’s concern of worrying that her son is not being fed enough while at the centre. It is important for the educator to try and support and acknowledge the differences that may be occurring at the centre as it is quite possible different to China.
The educator should then give her information to her about the importance for children to learn to become independent. Discuss with parents how to support Yim in learning and gaining independence at home and at the centre, but allow Mrs Wang to make the ultimate decision of how her son should be fed while at the service.
2. Mrs Wang, I understand that you feel Yim is not eating enough if I am not feeding him, but it is important for you to understand that at this age, Yim is able to feed himself, or he is able to start to learn how to feed himself. To ensure that he is eating enough, I can sit with him and assure that he eats the food given to him, but I would like him to start to begin to feed himself at home and at the centre.

1. Please revise. The question is asking what should educator take into account when reflecting on Mrs. Wong’s concern.
2. Great, you are on the right track, however when you speak to parents about their concern, ensure you talk about the reason behind allowing child to feed him/herself. Parent may not have this information about children’s developmental domains. Also include in your response how will you reassure her in relation to child’s feeding.

Any help appreciated!

Lorina

Re: Independence

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:03 pm

1. The educator should take into account the cultural differences and the differences of child rearing practices.
2. Add about social development (sitting with his peers and eating),
- emotional development (learning through independent skills) etc.

:geek:,
Lorina