Identifying A Toy/Equipment With Extreme Risk

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

Identifying A Toy/Equipment With Extreme Risk

Post by Rencia » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:29 am

Explain what steps you would take if you identified a toy or piece of equipment
that presented a hazard with an extreme risk. (include reporting procedures)?

Can anyone help me with that question? I really don't know how to start it?

Lorina

Re: Identifying A Toy/Equipment With Extreme Risk

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:50 pm

You will need to do a risk analysis and risk assessment:

Hazard Identification
Hierarchy Of Control

This will also help:

4.5 Play equipment – toys
Toys should comply with AS/NZS ISO 8142 where applicable. Educators must give consideration to the safety and age-appropriateness of all toys. Recommended safe practices include:

(a) Storing any toy or item of play equipment that contains sharp edges, sharp points or hooks, splintery surfaces, parts that crush or which has heavy moving parts, or which is capable of launching projectiles, or is damaged out of reach of young children.
(b) Ensuring that items used for toy storage do not have lids that could crush or entrap a child.
(c) Ensuring that toys or other play equipment do not contain toxic material

Ref: Safety Guidelines

I am also providing you with the list of Australian mandatory guidelines for toys: Mandatory Standards

:geek:,
Lorina

Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rencia » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:53 am

Thank you so much Lorina!

Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rencia » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:56 am

Lorina wrote:QR_BBPOST
4.5 Play equipment – toys
Toys should comply with AS/NZS ISO 8142 where applicable. Educators must give consideration to the safety and age-appropriateness of all toys. Recommended safe practices include:

(a) Storing any toy or item of play equipment that contains sharp edges, sharp points or hooks, splintery surfaces, parts that crush or which has heavy moving parts, or which is capable of launching projectiles, or is damaged out of reach of young children.
(b) Ensuring that items used for toy storage do not have lids that could crush or entrap a child.
(c) Ensuring that toys or other play equipment do not contain toxic material

Ref: Safety Guidelines
Hi Lorina,

I have included something similar to my previous question : "steps involved in conducting a risk analysis on toys ". The question is "Explain what steps you would take if you identified a toy..." I am not sure but doesn't it mean that I should go straight to the Risk Assessment avoiding the hazard identification? From this question I understand that the hazard has been identified and now is the next step I need to undertake? Sorry just want to make sure i am not repeating my answers.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Once you have identified a hazard you will move it from the environment (if possible) or make it inaccessible to children etc. until you an get it fixed...

This may help:

What hazards exist in the workplace? (hazard and hazard source identification)
Is the danger associated with each hazard high, medium or low? (risk assessment to help prioritise which hazards need to be attended to first, to help determine how urgently the hazards need to be attended to, and as a comparison tool after introducing or changing controls to determine if the risk has been reduced)
What can be done to control these risks? (application of risk controls/measures/precautions/ defences; if practicable, try and eliminate the hazard source from the workplace)
How effective is the risk control that is implemented? (monitor or review effectiveness of risk controls)

Ref: OH&S Management

:geek:,
Lorina

Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rencia » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:13 am

Thank you!!

Eman Ahmed Elwy

Post by Eman Ahmed Elwy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:43 pm

2. In your role as an Early Childhood Education and Care worker, you will need to check toys and equipment for potential risk and hazards that may cause harm to children
c) Which policy, procedure or standard does this support?

Can anyone help me with that question?