Identify the documentation that needs to be completed when a child in your care has been unwell.

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

Identify the documentation that needs to be completed when a child in your care has been unwell.

Post by Rencia » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:56 am

Hi,

Can someone check that answers for me I am not sure if that's what they asking for.Regarding question "c" my tutor said "you are required to state the name of the policy and procedure which must be followed when dealing with the way in which sensitive and personal information is dealt with and stored" so the only 1 policy that came to my mind is Confidentiality Policy. Is there anything more I can add? Sorry but I don't have access to any childcare settings at the moment.

b) Identify the documentation that needs to be completed when a child in your care has been unwell.

If a child becomes ill while attending the service, educators and other staff may need to refer to the following documents:
- Procedure for a Child Requiring an Ambulance
- Hospital Transfer Form
- Incident, Injury, Trauma and Illness Record
- Procedure for Dealing with a High Temperature
- Emergency Paracetamol Medication Register
- Illness Register

Procedure for Dealing with Children who become ill at the Service:
- isolate and comfort the child
- Take the child's temperature and record it. If the child has a temperature higher than 37.8°C refer to the Procedure for Dealing with a High Temperature
- Inform the Nominated Supervisor of the child's condition.
- Find a quiet area where the child can rest comfortably and be observed by an adult for any escalating of further symptoms.
- Inform the Parents/Guardians/Emergency Contacts of the child's health status.
- Complete an Incident, Injury, Trauma and Illness Record, ensuring that the form is signed by the Parent/Guardian/Emergency Contact.
- Place Illness details into the Illness Register

c) What policies/procedures and protocols must you follow in relation to this documentation

In relation to the documentation regarding unwell child we need to follow another policies and procedures to make sure all the details about the child are protected. It is important therefore to ensure that educators/staff are fully aware of their responsibilities for maintaining strict confidentiality under the Privacy Act (1988), and also that families are informed of their rights in regard to access to their own personal information and how the service will ensure the information is protected from unauthorized access. That’s why we need to follow Confidentiality and Privacy Policy.
It is important that information relating to children’s health, learning, behaviour and other sensitive issues are kept confidential. Families need to feel comfortable to discuss confidential matters that may impact on their child’s care. They need to know that private information given to the service is kept confidential and secure. Families also need to know that they are able to access their own personal records. Child care center need to protect the privacy, dignity and confidentiality of individuals by ensuring that all records and information about individual children, educators/staff and management is treated with discretion and kept in a secure place and only accessed by or disclosed to authorized people who need the information to fulfill their responsibilities at the service or have a legal right to know.

panga38
Helper
Helper

Re: Identify the documentation that needs to be completed when a child in your care has been unwell.

Post by panga38 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:38 am

That is quiete a thorough response. Well done.May be add at the beginning that depending on the degree of illness..follow the service 's policy and and procedure and how it applies to different scenerioes, as indicated below;

Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Identify the documentation that needs to be completed when a child in your care has been unwell.

Post by Rencia » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:53 am

Thank you so much :-)