HLTHIR404D Work Effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
PaigeBradley
Participator
Participator

HLTHIR404D Work Effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people

Post by PaigeBradley » Wed May 11, 2016 12:23 pm

6(a).What are some of the cultural factors which may be stopping adequate provision of education services to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander families? Name at least 5.

(i) Language and communication barriers

(ii) Aspects of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural dress and outfits may not be considered appropriate to wear whilst in a child care setting

(iii) Time, some Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander families follow Koori time

(iv) Prefer the guidance and knowledge of an older or more authorities person

(v) Family structure, parents may only feel comfortable leaving their child with other older family members

6(b). For each of the 5 factors you have identified above, what practical steps could be taken to improve participation by Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander children?

I feel as if i am lost, can anyone help??