Difference Between Learning Story and Anecdotal Record

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
sarah t

Difference Between Learning Story and Anecdotal Record

Post by sarah t » Fri May 15, 2015 10:50 am

Hi I am currently studying my diploma of children's services and I am very confused between anecdotal observations and learning stories I have done what I think is a learning story and I was wondering if it is or if its an anecdotal record as I have been told numerous things

Matisse and Madeleine are playing together in the home corner. Matisse picks up a long dress from the dress ups rail and carefully takes it off the coat hanger. She replaces the coat hanger on the rail. She looks at the dress and turns it around to show educator Sarah, “help please Sarah” Sarah replies “Ok Matisse” as Sarah helps Matisse put the dress on Matisse then smiles and twirls around saying “pretty”
Matisse then picks up another dress from the home corner and goes over and gives it to Madeleine who is preparing cake on the table. “Here Maddy this dress is for you!” as Matisse hands the dress to Madeleine smiling. “Thank you Matisse” Madeleine replies as she attempts to place the dress on, “Here I help” Matisse says to Madeleine and then goes over and helps Madeleine put the dress on.
EYLF Outcome: By observing Matisse in this experience it shows that she is working towards achieving outcome 2 of the EYLF Children are connected with and contribute to their world
• Cooperate with others and negotiate roles and relationships in play episodes and group experiences

What’s next? Add some new items into the home corner to extend on Matisse’s dramatic play experiences and interests

Thanks for your help
Sarah
Last edited by Lorina on Sun May 17, 2015 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

allie2192

Re: Please help :)

Post by allie2192 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Not sure if this helps but I was taught in class that learning stories are wrote in the present tense and anecdotal are wrote in the past tense

amoondw

Re: Please help :)

Post by amoondw » Sat May 16, 2015 9:24 pm

yes I think that's correct ...

Lorina

Re: Difference Between Learning Story and Anecdotal Record

Post by Lorina » Sun May 17, 2015 3:39 am

Hi Sarah,

You have written an anecdotal record. If this is to be a learning story, you need to provide more descriptions and more details on what occurred during this experience...

Learning Story
A Learning Story is just that, a story that tells a tale to those who are reading it. It should focus on a child or a group of children, about the decisions they make and the consequences that follow. With detail descriptions like in a narrative, a Learning Story provides an informative approach of the experience and the events that occurred.

How To Write A Learning Story

Anecdotal Record
A short story of the child engaging in play. Anecdotal records are written in past tense. Observation starts when the child begins the experience and ends when the child stops participating in the experience. It’s a useful method to record events or actions based on the child’s strengths, interests, development and needs.

Observations In Childcare

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

sarah t

Re: Difference Between Learning Story and Anecdotal Record

Post by sarah t » Mon May 18, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi ladies

Thanks so so much this has helped me a lot

Kind regards sarah