Children's Privacy During Toileting, Undressing and Dressing Times

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
rach94
Participator
Participator

Children's Privacy During Toileting, Undressing and Dressing Times

Post by rach94 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:29 pm

i am having some trouble with this question.
In an Early Childhood Education and Care setting you must respect children’s needs for privacy during any toileting and dressing and undressing times. How would you maintain this?
i think keeping away from a child but while still keeping an eye on them to make sure they are safe and nothing happens and keep workers and children to a minimum when the child is changing or using the toilet.

Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: children privacy

Post by Rencia » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:37 pm

In my setting we always make sure that we are not alone with the child in the toilet, that other colleagues can see us, ask children to do as much as they can by themselves (some children may still need your help as not all of them can chenge their cloths etc.) , do not touch the child in inappropriate way, keep the physical contact to the minimum. That's all I can think about at the moment.

Lorina

Re: Children;s Privacy During Toileting, Undressing and Dressing Times

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:32 pm

I just wanted to add:

- you shouldn't make comments about the child's body " look at your cute bum" etc.
- you don't need to stare at the child while they are toileting and undressing
- you don't need to constantly say "hurry up" or "are you done yet" etc.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

rach94
Participator
Participator

Re: Children;s Privacy During Toileting, Undressing and Dressing Times

Post by rach94 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:57 am

how is this?

Keep a distance from a child to give them privacy, keep an eye on them but there is no reason to stare. Let a child do as much as possible by thenselves, only help if the child is having touble then ask if they would like you to help. Consider the fact that all children are at different levels. While assisting a child minimise physical contact. Dress the child as fast as possible without pushing.

Lorina

Re: Children's Privacy During Toileting, Undressing and Dressing Times

Post by Lorina » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:13 am

It's good except you don't need to following:
Dress the child as fast as possible without pushing.

You could change it to "Encourage the child to develop their self help skills and independence by assisting them to undress/dress or during toileting".

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

ljackson

Re: Children's Privacy During Toileting, Undressing and Dressing Times

Post by ljackson » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:49 pm

How did you go with this question Rach? Did you need to include info about Intimate Care Policy?