CHCPRT001 - Concerns Regarding Child Watching Horror Movies

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
razza1
Participator
Participator

CHCPRT001 - Concerns Regarding Child Watching Horror Movies

Post by razza1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCPRT001: IDENTIFY AND RESPOND TO CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE AT RISK:
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Three year old Axel regularly attends the service. Axel has a great imagination and is often heard explaining complex storylines for his play. At times Axel’s storytelling is of concern to the educators as the concepts explored are often of an adult nature and his language can be quite explicit.
You have cared privately for Axel during a weekend in the past. When in his home, you have noticed a wide range of DVD’s from G to M15+ ratings in his room. From the conversations with Axel you discover that he has frequent unsupervised access to a wide range of technology and media.
One morning at the service Axel was lying on the carpet during inside time, yawning and saying he is tired. The educator asks why he might be especially tired today. He says he was up late watching movies with his cousin, who was looking after him while mum went out. He became very animated explaining that he watched 3 movies. Axel described the movies saying “they were really scary, there were zombies, walking down the street and the chainsaw men came out and…” Axel went into graphic detail about inappropriate content and concepts covered within the movies.

A) What are the legal and ethical issues of concern in this scenario?
B) What legislation relates to this issue?
C) Which service policy and procedures would relate to this issue?
D) What course of action will you take?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Not word for word but a run down of the way im heading.
A) Legal concern-this is a form of neglect/abuse. Children need stability and structure. The child should not have access to inappropriate media and technology. This has a negative impact on the child's emotional and social well being. The other concern is the inadequate sleep this child is getting all children require adequate rest to help with brain and physical development. tired children can not focus, interactions become negative and they become a risk to their own and others health and safety. The fact that a cousin was supervising, also raises the adequate supervision question, Was this a responsible person?.
Ethically_ As a trusted carer of this child you are required to report any suspicion of cause of concern of harm to this child, with this you have to struggle with your own thoughts, feelings and consequences of your action. Ethically you are obliged to work honestly and uphold an ethical professional relationship this can cause tough decisions and put stain on working relationship with family. You have the guilt of any possible report causing change to the child's home situation.

B)This would all come under the Children, Young Persons and Their Families Act 1997.
C) child protection, rest/sleep requirements, confidentiality, media
D)discuss concerns with senior staff. make detailed, dated and signed observations, hand out relevant information to all families in .relation to children's needs with structure, routine and rest and inappropriate media. My first discussion with the family would be for example." I noticed Axel has been very tired lately, he said his cousin and he stayed up late watching Zombie movies, not sure if this is correct as he does tell us some very animated stories. I did get concerned when he gave some rather detailed descriptions of this movie. Axel was that tired it affected his day, he couldn't focus, he struggled to play constructively with others, he couldn't enjoy his learning and play at all. I can provide you with some information in relation to any of this if you need, was this a once off as we can provide you with a list of names to babysit axel when you need'. This conversation would be documented and raised if the situation did not change. My next action would be steps to report my concern to authorities to investigate further.

Description and Message:
Is this answer on the right track.. ta,
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCPRT001 - Concerns Regarding Child Watching Horror Movies

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:52 am

I think this is more of an ethical issue rather than a legal issue. Even though he may be unsupervised watching movies etc. I don't think he is being neglected. Axl seems to be watching these types of videos with his cousin rather than his parents. He may have these types of movies in his room but it seems like his cousin is encouraging him to watch them. They don't seem to be sexually graphic through reading the scenario just horror. So, the ethical issue would be that these types of movies are affecting him emotionally and physically since he tends to stay up late to watch them.

Here is some information on Ethics: http://ncac.acecqa.gov.au/educator-reso ... _Mar09.pdf

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

BTW - Sorry or my delayed reply my little one has been sick for the past few days.

Last edited by Lorina on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

razza1
Participator
Participator

Re: CHCPRT001 - Concerns Regarding Child Watching Horror Movies

Post by razza1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:39 am

Thank you I was leaning that way but went worse case scenario
Hope your little one is feeling better