chcleg001

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
nikinik8

chcleg001

Post by nikinik8 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Parent’s Rights: Lucas
Lucas (3.6yrs) does not like vegetables. In fact he doesn’t like a lot of healthy foods. His father, Jack, tells educator Kyle that unless Lucas eats all of his main meal at lunchtime he is not to have any dessert. Kyle explains that the service carefully plans a well-balanced healthy menu so that children who don’t eat all of their main meal are still getting a nutritious desert.
Jack: ‘Well that might be the case but Lucas is not to have desert unless he eats his main meal first.’ He can’t
just fill himself up on deserts, no matter how healthy they are!’
As Jack is leaving he says to Lucas: ‘I told Kyle no desert for you unless you eat your lunch. Got it?’’
At lunch time the children are served chicken, vegetables and rice. Lucas pokes around the food with his fork
picking out a few pieces of chicken.
Kyle: Can you try and eat some vegetable Lucas?
Lucas: ‘No, I hate them!’
Desert is fruit and custard, Lucas’s favourite.
Lucas: ‘Can I have desert?
Kyle: ‘Your dad said you couldn’t unless you eat your lunch. ‘
Lucas begins to sob, ‘but I want dessert.’
Kyle is uneasy. He knows he should honour Jack’s request but he also feels it’s very unfair to Lucas. It’s also part of the services nutrition policy that children not be refused food and that desert should not be withheld if the child does not eat the main meal.
Kyle decides to give Lucas a small serving of dessert. ‘We’ll have to tell your dad when he comes to pick you up that you tried some of your lunch and you had a small desert.
Lucas begins to cry again. ‘No don’t tell him. Don’t tell him. He will be angry with me!’ Please don’t tell him.’
Kyle: ‘It’s ok Lucas, calm down.
When Jack arrives to collect Lucas he asks what Lucas had for lunch.
Lucas frowns and looks at Kyle. His eyes are saying ‘please don’t tell.’

The ECA Code of Ethics (2016) states that in relation to children ‘I will value the relationship between children and their families and enhance these relationships through my practice.’
With this in mind, and acting as an advocate for Lucas, Kyle asks to meet with Lucas’s parents.
Suggest a compromise that Kyle could put to the parents that supports their wishes and meets Lucas’s rights.

My answer:
Suggest meal plans, ask about what he likes to eat. why do you think he doesn't like it.