CHCIC512A - Scenario: Tazia - Being Treated Like A Baby

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
tracy

CHCIC512A - Scenario: Tazia - Being Treated Like A Baby

Post by tracy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi,

Can anyone give me a few ideas how to answer this one. Thanks in advance!

Read the scenario below and describe the cultural issues that the practitioner will need to address in order to support Tazia's development.

Tazia
Tazia (4.7 yrs) has 4 older sisters. As the only son, he enjoys an elevated status in the family. His parents tend to spoil him and his sisters baby him. Tazia is large for his age, has poor co-ordination, and is rather clumsy. His fine motor skills are also poor. Tazia has age appropriate language skills, although often does not use his language skills to the fullest. Socially, Tazia is immature for his age. He has difficulty sharing and waiting and is easily frustrated. He tends to act physically when he is upset and seeks out adults to resolve conflicts. Whenever the practitioner tries to discuss her concerns about Tazia with his mother, she simply dismisses the concerns, saying he's still a baby. Tazia is due to start school in 3 months.
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: CHCIC512A - Scenario: Tazia - Being Treated Like A Baby

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi Tracy,

I’m not too sure if this is correct but I read through the scenario and I think some of the cultural issues that the practitioner will need to address are:

1) Being the youngest Tazia is spoilt.
2) Tazia’s family still consider him as a baby even though he is almost 5 years old.
3) Because Tazia is the youngest and spoilt by his family he is probably given whatever he wants when he wants while his at home.
4) Tazia fights with his older sisters when he gets angry.
5) Tazia finds it difficult to resolve conflicts on his own.

Like I said, I’m not 100% sure if the above points are right or not. However in my opinion the practitioner will need to address these issues in order to support Tazia’s development.

Does this make sense to you? What I don’t understand is if they consider the above points I just said as cultural issues….within this questions have they mentioned were Tazia is from?

Sorry I couldn’t be of much help..Let me know what you think and we will try to work it out...

Catchmeifucan

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Re: CHCIC512A - Scenario: Tazia - Being Treated Like A Baby

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:28 pm

I too find this one strange as they say "cultural issues" yet there is no mention of where Tazia is from

However, being from a Pakistani background I can understand the question well as you find this problem A LOT within our culture where an only son is worshipped and spoiled rotten, the sisters probably dote on him as do the parents so he probably never has had to do anything for himself. In disputes the sisters are probably told by the mother or father "don't do that to your little brother, give him what he wants, he is only a baby" thus even when the son (tazia) would be unreasonable he still got what he wanted... he prob seeks out adults to resolve conflicts because he thinks he will get sympathy & it will work in his favour

The teacher would have to seriously speak to the mother and make her understand that perhaps in her eyes Tazia is still a baby but according to his age he was not and he would be starting school soon and continuing to treat him like a baby would not be beneficial and that he had to learn to be independent.
Perhaps she could give the parents some simple tips for them to do at home with Tazia that will help him... maybe activities to develop his fine-motor skills, something the mother can do with him alone so she will feel she is doing something with her son while she will actually be helping him

this kind of thing is not just a cultural issue I have come across this many times with children who have older siblings who do everything for them. I had a girl in my class who did everything for her little sister and she would even talk for her so the little one would not even talk!!!

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi FeFe, Just wanted to say...what a great response you posted! You have provided some valuable insight into your culture...Thanks so much for that :D !

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:12 pm

No problem, the "son" issue is pretty big in the subcontinent .... but I feel that family has a big hand to play in cultural issues like this .... some families understand that spoiling their children (only son etc) is not a good thing to do.... others continue to do it and refuse to accept that it can be detrimental to their child....

An Educator
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by An Educator » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Hope my answer is not too late.
This is how I answered this scenario;-

The practitioner needs to address Tazia's parent expectations.
She needs to help him develop his social and self help skills.

Good luck,
An Educator