CHCIC512A - Scenario: Kent and Nathan

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Buttercup131313

CHCIC512A - Scenario: Kent and Nathan

Post by Buttercup131313 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCIC512A Plan and Implement the Inclusion of children with additional needs
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Behaviours that are of most concern?
Strategies that Nathan could use to encourage cooperative and on-task behaviour

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Answers written at the bottom of the message.

Description and Message:
I have this 'case scenario' followed by two questions:

Scenario:

Kent (4.3yrs) is described as having general developmental delay. His language and motor skills are age appropriate but he has poor social skills, is extremely impulsive, finds it difficult to stay on task and generally engages in a range of disruptive behaviours which often result in other children laughing at him, which serves to reinforce his inappropriate behaviour.

Setting: Indoor Play
Time: 9:30am
Kent walks to the puzzle table, selects a puzzle and sits down. He immediately tips the puzzle out and attempts to put it back together. He does not turn all of the pieces over and appears to randomly select a piece and tries to make it fit. When the piece does not fit he throws it on the floor. Throughout this process Kent begins to talk to himself. With each piece of puzzle that he fails to place he gets louder. Kirra (4yrs) sitting next t Kent says, 'Kent, don't throw the pieces on the floor. That's naughty!'

Settting: Morning Tea
Time: 10:40am
Kent joins a group of three other children who are seated at a table talking to the practitioner about a game they are playing with sorting cards. He bangs his hands, palm down on the table several times and looks around at the other children.
Nathan: 'Kent, that's too noisy. It's quiet talking time now.'
Kent looks at Nathan and bangs his hands on the table again and then pushes back his chair and runs to the block corner. He throws himself on the floor and starts to kick the blocks.

Setting: Music Group
Time: 11:15am
Kent refuses to join the other children for music. He sits on a chair at the far end of the room and starts to call out to the children, "Bumhead, bumhead, bumhead'. Nathan walks over to Kent: 'Kent, if you don't want to join in with the music that's ok, but it's not ok for you to call out. You need to find something quiet to do'. Kent stands up and begins to jump up and down, flapping his hands and laughing loudly. The other children laugh at Kent.

---
The questions that follow are:
A. Behaviours that are of most concern
B. Strategies that Nathan could use to encourage co-operative and on-task behaviour

So far, I answered the questions with obvious answers:

A: Does not follow simple instructions, engages in disruptive behaviours when he can't stay on a task, does not show patience with his tasks

B: Nathan could try to find out Kent's interest and plan experiences with him that he would like to do, when he's giving Kent simple instructions he must make sure that he sounds firm, have eye-contact and then ask him to repeat his instruction, Nathan could also show Kent the importance of patience when doing a task by providing him encouragement and acknowledgements.

I know that I have some ideas going on, but I also know that there's another perspective to this that could help me think of better answers and that's what I need help with...

Thank you!
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCIC512A Plan and Implement the inclusion of children with additional needs

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:30 pm

This question has already been answered in the forum...

Here is the link: CHCIC512A - Scenario: Kent - General Developmental Delay

:geek:,
L.A