CHCIC511A - Gender Bias For Baby Cards

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
H.T.

CHCIC511A - Gender Bias For Baby Cards

Post by H.T. » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi
just wondering do you think baby cards are gender bias.........words and images??????????????

I was thinking that they are as the girls cards are always pink and show little cute pictures
and the boys cards have like toys on them
what do you think?
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: CHCIC511A - Gender Bias For Baby Cards

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:18 pm

Do you mean baby cards such as announcements, invitations, thank you cards etc? Good point! Well it's kinda fine line... I don't think it really matters if the cards are like this cuz they are mainly well wishers for parents etc. It's like children's clothing... They can be gender bias as well. But I understand what you mean... If you really think about it there are alot of gender bais around! Is it an assignment question?

H.T.

Post by H.T. » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi catchmeifucan,
yes that is what i mean and yes it is an assignment question
CHCIC511A Implement and promote inclusive policies and practicies
thanks

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Can I ask exactly what the question was?

more than cards etc Gender bias would be giving the boys more "male" toys to play with like trucks, cars, footballs etc ... and giving the girls dolls, dress ups etc

image wise it would be showing the children images that show girls and boys in a stereotypical type setting, boys/men playing sports, wearing blue, using tools etc and girls/women in pink dressed up as ballerinas, playing with dolls, doing housework, cooking, cleaning etc

In my classroom I encourage the boys when they want to dress up even in girl costumes and they want to play with the dolls etc and likewise I encourage the girls to play with trucks and cars etc

H.T.

Post by H.T. » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:34 pm

the question is
next time you are in a newsagency, have a look at the baby card section. Alternatively, do an internet search using the terms"baby cards" or announcing baby, Review your results and discuss whether the words and images reinforces gender bias.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Ahhh ok .... very interesting question.