CHCFC506A - Criteria Used To Select Language & Literature Materials

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
gillespie8

CHCFC506A - Criteria Used To Select Language & Literature Materials

Post by gillespie8 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:49 pm

hi would really appreciate some help understanding these questions

3. What criteria should be used for selecting development appropriate language and literature experiences for children?

4. What criteria should be used for selecting displays and pictures to stimulate language?

is the criteria that should be used to select books, pictures group times etc be that age and interest of the children or is there an actual structured criteria that we should be selecting things from?

also this question

6. Books come in a variety of forms and structures to best support the language needs and reading development level of children. Give me an example of a book that is appropriate for the following children to ”read” alone in a book corner. Name the book and describe why it is appropriate.

a. 6-18 months
b. 18-36 months
c. 3-4 years
d. 4-5 years.

i dont quiet understand how to choose books that best support the language needs and reading development of children 6-18 months? is it just in general not them being able to read yet learning to recognize pictures and putting adding up the word and picture together as in a dog or something they can relate too?

would be so thankful if id be able to get some help :)
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

syakira
Helper
Helper

Re: CHCFC506A Foster children’s language and communication development

Post by syakira » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:15 pm

I suggest you approach your local library and speak to the person that is in charge of selecting picture books for children and ask them what their criteria is when choosing picture books. It's not a very hard assignment to do. The most important thing is that educators and parents work together and look at ways to help the child learn language skills through play. I thought this assignment was hard, but thinking of it now, it was easy. Hey don't stress.

gillespie8

Post by gillespie8 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:55 pm

it seems easy when i read it then i go to do the questions and cant word what im trying to say.
but thank you, i didnt think of the library. very helpful

thank you!!

syakira
Helper
Helper

Post by syakira » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:26 pm

yeah I know how you feel. I did so much reading and didn't write anything. When I did start, I couldn't stop writing.

6. Books come in a variety of forms and structures to best support the language needs and reading development level of children. Give me an example of a book that is appropriate for the following children to ”read” alone in a book corner. Name the book and describe why it is appropriate.

a. 6-18 months
b. 18-36 months
c. 3-4 years
d. 4-5 years.

Answer: You have to go to the library and choose the books for the different age groups. Write down the title of the book and the author. Explain why you chose that book for the age group.

6 -18 months - choose books that are strong such board books, has bright large pictures with contrasting colours, such as red and yellow, small size books that are easy for babies to handle. One picture one word per page. Books that infants can relate to such as (babies are familiar with ) bottles, stroller, balls and babies etc. Also safety to consider. The book does not have sharp edges etc. Also there should not be more than 5 pages per book.

hope this helps.

gillespie8

Post by gillespie8 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:55 pm

i understand now. there are so many things you can easily forget when you in the moment.
thank you so much you truly are amazing!!

syakira
Helper
Helper

Post by syakira » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 pm

We did an activity in class where the teacher brought in a range of books for children. We had to work in pairs and choose three books for 0 - 6 years old. So you choose the book and tell the class why you chose it for infants etc. It was very easy for me to talk about because I had already did so much research on the criteria for choosing children's picture books. We had a huge assignment on this topic. glad to help out.

gillespie8

Post by gillespie8 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:29 pm

That sounds great. Sometimes wish I was in a class in doing my study by correspondence and I work 10 hour days at my centre so it's hard to get time to ask for help at work it's just too busy in my nursery!! But once again thank you.