CHCFC506A

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Lizzie_82

CHCFC506A

Post by Lizzie_82 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCFC506A - Foster Children's Language and Communication Development.
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Define language deveopment, including with your definition:
stages of language development
principles of the development of english as a second language
principles of early childhood bilingualism

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Stage 1 – Known as the prelinguistic, babbling or cooing stage. This stage typically lasts from the ages of three months to nine months. Babies usually begin to make basic vowel sounds such as ooooooo and aaaaaaa. Most babies typically begin to babble and add consonant sounds such as ba-ba, ma-ma & da-da around five months of age.

Stage 2 – Known as the one-word or holophase stage of language development. Typically around ten to thirteen months of age children begin to say their first real words. Although at this age children can only say a few, single words, we must remember that they are able to understand considerably more. Infants begin to comprehend language twice as fast as they begin to talk.

Stage 3 – The third stage begins around eighteen months of age, children begin to use two word sentences. Sentences typically consist only of nouns and verbs. Eg. “Where daddy?” or “Puppy big!”

Stage 4 – Around the age of two years, children are beginning to produce short sentences that have a subject. Eg. “Mummy is nice” “Want more milk”

As children get older, they learn new words every day. By the time they have their fifth birthday, children have a vocabulary of around 10,000 words or even more.

Description and Message:
These studies are slowly driving me insane!!! I have read so much of english as a second language and bilingualism thats its all blured together. I cant seem to find info on the principles of either thou. If anyone could give me some suggestions or point me in the general directions it would be greatly appreciated.

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CHCFC506A

Post by Kaz » Sun May 19, 2013 8:14 am

wow this is a tricky one.
Have you tried searching on this site for other peoples questions based on the same area?
Sorry I wasn't much help :(