CHCFC505A FOSTER COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT IN EARLY CHILDHOOD

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
courtney1234

CHCFC505A FOSTER COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT IN EARLY CHILDHOOD

Post by courtney1234 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:21 pm

REALLY STUCK ON THIS UNIT!!

1. define cognitive development and cognitive skills.

2. when planning activites to encourage cognitive development we need to consider the adults role why?

3. what opportunities can adults provide to children to support cognitive development? how do they vary according to the age of the child?

4. what opportunities can adults provide to children to develop problem solving skills and how do they vary according to the age of the child?

5. what opportunities can adults provie to choldren to explore their environment and how do they vary according to the age of the child?

if someone could please help!! i have to complete my diploma in 2 weeks, and abit overwhelming trying to do it all at once!! thankyou !!!!!!!!

Lorina

Re: CHCFC505A FOSTER COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT IN EARLY CHILDHOOD

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi Courtney,

Yeah, it can be a bit of a challenge trying to get everything done in 2 weeks, stress less, it will all work out!

I am going to give a few links (click on the titles below) which provides you with information on cognitive development. Although it may seem alot to read at first, just have a quick look and you should be able to get some of your questions answered. Try and come up with an answer for each question and post it up. I don't mind checking to see if you are heading in the right direction.

Early Childhood Cognitive Development

COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT IN EARLY CHILDHOOD

Cognitive Development and the Education of Young Children

See if the above info helps you out for this assignment,

:geek:,
L.A

melly

Post by melly » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Hey guys, I'm on the same assignment although mine is totally different.
I have to create a science learning centre based on one of the following concepts:
Things that fly- this may include an exploration of a wide range of bugs, birds, bats ect and their habitats
earth and environment- this may include an exploration of a variety of concepts such as the weather- rain, clouds, shadows, wind; investigating rocks, recycling and environmental care, growing things ect.
For babies and toddlers your learning centre will simply be a series of experiences around the concept
You must ensure that every experience is hands-on and actively engages the children's exploration.

I have chosen things that fly and now it says

1. You are required to plan your centre so that it extends over a minimum of two weeks
2. Plan a series of 5 experiences/challenges/tasks for the children to undertake
3. Suggest web questions that you could use with children to explore children's existing knowledge
4. Identify specific learning outcomes for each task
5. Identify key vocabulary that you will use
6. List the resources you will use, including materials, reference books, stories, songs, it, websites ect
7. Explain how you assess the outcomes of your experiences in terms of concept development
At the bottom it says to devise your own planning format for this task.

Although I have some activities already that I'm in the process of trying to create in a way that the tafe will understand lol but the rest of the things they want I have no idea about. I'm also unsure how to format this in a way that they will understand.

I would really appreciate some help as sort of stuck lol
Melissa :-)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi Melissa,

My goodness, they are really making you answer a whole lot of question aren't they!! For the type of format you use, maybe you can put it into a table format and put the requirements into a different column for each experience and then list the info underneath the heading. For example:

Name of Experience: Web questions: Learning Outcomes: Key Vocabulary: Materials/Resources:

3. Suggest web questions that you could use with children to explore children's existing knowledge

Depending on what your experience for the children is, try and think of questions you could ask the children about the activity. So, you're doing things that fly... if you did an experience for preschoolers on making paper airplanes you could ask questions like "do you think it would fly as high as a real airplane?", "how far do you think it will fly", etc...

Identify specific learning outcomes for each task

For this I suggest you have a look at the EYLF Learning Outcomes and choose a couple from there to add to each of your experiences. We do have the EYLF Learning Outcomes available on this site,in Resources under Childcare Professional. Here is the link: Understanding The Early Years Learning Framework

Identify key vocabulary that you will use

Name of airplanes, names of objects used for flying. You could even introduce new words to the children... such as propellers...

Explain how you assess the outcomes of your experiences in terms of concept development

This basically translates to how would you know the children achieved the outcomes you have chosen. Well, you could take photos, document conversations of children talking about the concept, provide a more challenging task etc..

I hope this gives you a better idea on this assignment. Let me know, if you're still unsure on something and I will try to help you out! :thumbup:

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

melly

Post by melly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:03 pm

thanks so much L.A
i dont understand why they dont put a small explination with the question lol it would be so much easier, im doing it through tafe and i have nothing to go by they just say the questions and i dont have any thing else to go by unell i buy the text book and there too expencive for me at the moment so im kinda working blindly lol
i really appreciate your help :-) thanks so much, will get in touch if i need more help :-)
melissa

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Hey Melissa,

I guess they want you to read the question, be totally confused and begin to wonder how the hell your going to answer it! :giggle: I think they probably word it like this to get you used to the terminology... Yeah I know how expensive text books can be! At least you can use the net as a plan b...LOL... No worries, glad I could help!

L.A

cris87au

Post by cris87au » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Oh my goodness L.A, you are AMAZING!! My teacher is away and I've been stuck on what "Explain how you assess the outcomes of your experiences in terms of concept development" means for days!!!

Thankyou so much! And thankyou to Courtney and Melissa for posting the questions!

One step closer to getting this diploma done before Christmas hehehe

Cris

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi Cris,

Awww...No worries glad I could help!

What a nice little christmas gift to yourself... completing your Diploma! I really hope you complete it by Xmas!

Good Luck :thumbup:

L.A

melly

Post by melly » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:58 pm

hey guys
im totaly lost again i been putting this assignment off for a while lol but i am just stuck on 1 question it is

1. use a web to document what the children learn/discover/ask

i have no idea what they mean as below this question they have ones that say
2. record questions asked by children and suggestions made by children
3. suggets follow up/where to now
4. reflection: what have you learned about what the children have learned?
i have the answers for the last 3 questions but i am a little confused on what they want from the first question, do i have to make a graph of dome sort if you get what i mean like the runnung record, anicdotal record is it some thing like that or am i over thinking the question lol
this is a workplace assessment task that i have to do evaluations on my chosen experiences which i have finished every thing before this 1st question but i a little stuck as to what they mean or what they want
please help :-)
melissa

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:47 am

Hi Melly,

Ok, hopefully I can explain a web without being to confusing...LOL...

So, in the middle of a page you draw a circle and in the circle you write an interest or topic that the children are interested in. Then around the middle circle you write what the children learn,discover, ask etc.. From what you write you can draw a line that connects to the middle circle where you wrote the current interest... Does this make sense?

Let me know if you're still having any trouble and I'll see what I can do...

L.A

mee

Post by mee » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:45 pm

are the web questions counted as a experience?

Kridle

Post by Kridle » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Hello
im really stuck on this question i have to finish my diploma in a few weeks

what opportunities can adults provide to children to support cognitive development? how do they vary according to the age of child?

thank you

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:07 am

Kridle wrote:Hello
im really stuck on this question i have to finish my diploma in a few weeks

what opportunities can adults provide to children to support cognitive development? how do they vary according to the age of child?

thank you

Check out the Child Development articles available in our Wiki. You should be able to get some ideas from it...

Child Development

:geek:,
L.A

Kridle

Post by Kridle » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:17 am

Thank you i will have a read of it all :)