CHCFC505A - Create A Math Learning Centre For Toddlers

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
sherry.mcc
Helper
Helper

CHCFC505A - Create A Math Learning Centre For Toddlers

Post by sherry.mcc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Hello,I am having trouble with some parts of this assignment.
Create a Maths Learning Centre for Toddlers (2-3yrs)

a. Plan 5 experiences - I have chosen matching: like to like, size to size, colour to colour.
Like to like - shape sorting, nuts and bolts, puzzle
Size to size – shape sorter, puzzle
Colour to colour – peg board

b. Describe each experience-the child’s role and my role/strategies
Child - to develop patterns and sequencing
my role – to educate children about patterns and sequencing

c. List the resources you will use
Peg and board – different coloured and different shaped pegs and board
Puzzle – different coloured and different shaped puzzle pieces-
Nuts & bolts -
insects – large and small different coloured and shape
Block play – coloured blocks and different size blocks

d. Identify specific learning outcomes for each task
4.2 Children develop a range of skills and processes such as problem solving, enquiry, experimentation, hypothesizing, researching and investigating.
5.4 Children begin to understand how symbols and pattern systems work.

e. Identify key words or phrase you will use –
Asking what colour is that? Does it match this colour?
What shape is this one and does it look the same as that one?
Can you find another one that is the same as this one?

f. Explain how you assess the outcomes of your experiences in terms of concept development ??????

Devise your own planning format for this task. ????????
you are required to set up 2 of your planned experiences in class along with all of your planning details for all experiences.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCFC505A - Create A Math Learning Centre For Toddlers

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Hi Sherry,
Explain how you assess the outcomes of your experiences in terms of concept development ??????

I noticed in your response that the Learning outcomes that you will be focusing on are LO 4.2 and 5.4. If you have a look in the EYLF Educator's guide under the LO's that you have identified it explains how educators promote this learning and how children can "achieve" the Learning Outcome. I'm pretty sure you can use the information in here on ways you will assess the children in their development. I'll add the information below for the Learning Outcomes you specified.

4.2 - Children develop a range of skills and processes such as problem solving, enquiry, experimentation, hypothesizing, researching and investigating.

This is evident, for example, when children:

• apply a wide variety of thinking strategies to engage with situations and solve problems, and adapt these strategies to new situations.

• create and use representation to organize, record and communicate mathematical ideas and concepts.

• make predictions and generalizations about their daily activities, aspects of the natural world and environments, using patterns they generate or identify and communicate these using mathematical language and symbols.

• explore their environment

• manipulate objects and experiment with cause and effect, trial and error, and motion.

• contribute constructively to mathematical discussions and arguments.

• use reflective thinking to consider why things happen and what can be learnt from these experience.

Educators promote this learning, for example, when they:

• plan learning environments with appropriate levels of challenge where children are encouraged to explore, experiment and take appropriate risks in their learning.

• recognize mathematical understandings that children bring to learning and build on these in ways that are relevant to each Child.

• provide babies and toddlers with resources that offer challenge, intrigue and surprise, support their investigations and share their enjoyment.

• provide experiences that encourage children to investigate and solve problems.

• encourage children to use language to describe and explain their ideas.

• provide opportunities for involvement in experiences that support the investigation of ideas, complex concepts and thinking, reasoning and hypothesizing.

• encourage children to make their ideas and theories visible to others.

• model mathematical and scientific language and language associated with the arts.

• join in children’s play and model reasoning, predicting and reflecting processes and language.

• intentionally scaffold children’s understandings.

• listen carefully to children’s attempts to hypothesize and expand on their thinking through conversation and questioning.

5.4 Children begin to understand how symbols and pattern systems work.

This is evident, for example, when children:

• use symbols in play to represent and make meaning.

• begin to make connections between and see patterns in their feelings, ideas, words and actions and those of others.

• notice and predict the patterns of regular routines and the passing of time.

• develop an understanding that symbols are a powerful means of communication and that ideas, thoughts and concepts can be represented through them.

• begin to be aware of the relationships between oral, written and visual representations.

• begin to recognize patterns and relationships and the connections between them.

• begin to sort, categorize, order and compare collections and events and attributes of objects and materials, in their social and natural worlds.

• listen and respond to sounds and patterns in speech, stories and rhyme.

• draw on memory of a sequence to complete a task.

• draw on their experiences in constructing meaning using symbols.

Educators promote this learning, for example, when they:

• draw children’s attention to symbols and patterns in their environment and talk about patterns and relationships, including the relationship between letters and sounds.

• provide children with access to a wide range of everyday materials that they can use to create patterns and to sort, categorize, order and compare.

• engage children in discussions about symbol systems, for example, letters, numbers, time, money and musical notation.

• encourage children to develop their own symbol systems and provide them with opportunities to explore culturally constructed symbol systems.

Devise your own planning format for this task

I'm not sure what they are requiring you to do here.. I think they may want you to provide all the information above in a format. For example, you can probably do it in a table format, adding the same headings as in the question and then writing the details underneath but I'm not too sure...

Let me know if you need any further help!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

sherry.mcc
Helper
Helper

Post by sherry.mcc » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Hello L. A.,
Thank you so much for your help. I have finished that one assignment. More to go.
The format was
the planned outcome/goals
description/implementation
resources used
transition strategy
evaluation of experience
etc, etc
Kind regards
Sherry

Harmony
Participator
Participator

Post by Harmony » Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Hello, I also have the same question of "Explain how you assess the outcomes of your experiences in terms of concept development?" I have read the answer above but I am quite stuck as to how I am supposed to assess it..

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks for your time
Cheers :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu May 17, 2012 10:03 am

I read this question a few times but I think I figured it out... I broke the question down into what my understanding from it, to me the question is asking "how do you assess the learning outcomes in the activities you provide in developing concepts (such as numbers, alphabet, opposites etc.). I think the only way you could assess it is through evaluating and reflecting on the experience itself. In the evaluation you could also include the outcomes achieved and how the children/child achieved it. I'm not too sure if this is right but this is what I get from the question...

:geek:,
L.A