CHCFC502A - Cutting With Scissors

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ryan

CHCFC502A - Cutting With Scissors

Post by ryan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:43 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCFC502A
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
1. Choose one child aged between 4-7 years then:
a) Use the format to observe how this child approaches the task of cutting with scissors. You should complete four observations.(Template on next page)
b) Write a summary of what you have noticed about children’s cutting skills:
• Try to notice whether children:
- open/close their hands
- use a leading hand to hold & move paper
- isolate fingers so that ring & little finger do not move
- look at what they are doing - hand-eye co-ordination
- have stable wrist, elbow, shoulder
- are they cutting thumb up (not facing floor)

• How do children approach the task?
• Can you notice any planning skills being used
• Do children look to others for clues?
• Use dominant hand or swap hands?
• What are the common difficulties?
c) From your observations, outline four possible intentional teaching experiences to develop this child’s fine motor skills.
d) Plan 2 of the above experiences that focus on the use of scissors or fine motor skills to support later scissor use such as games with tweezers or tongs, tearing, fringing etc.
NOTE: Do not use stencils or activity sheets
e) Use the planning format to record:
- the skill - such as squeezing, finger isolation, stability, hand-eye coordination etc
- the task – such as fringing, snipping, picking up small items with tweezers etc.
- the resources you plan to use
f) Write an evaluation each of the 2 experiences and make any necessary adjustment to your plan.
g) At the conclusion of the two experiences suggest follow-up strategies

Assessor’s Name: _____________________________________

Assessor’s Signature: __________________________ Date: ______________________

Satisfactory Unsatisfactory/ Re-submit

Child’s Name: Age:
Observations

Cutting with scissors
Date:
Today I provided scissors and paper to observe kids. River was so excited to see scissors on the table. She holds the paper in left hand and scissors in the right hand. She was cutting the paper into round shape and she cut in square shape. Then she draw triangle with pencil and cut the paper into triangle shape. She was moving the paper.

Date:
Today river asked me for pencil and white paper with sketch pen. I asked her what you are making today. She said, “I am making flower”. She cut the paper in zigzag shape and stick it on the paper and then she cut the paper in long way for stick. I noticed her hand and eye co-ordination was great. Today I observed she was cutting the paper bit fast and excited to make flowers. She was using the same right hand for scissors and left hand for paper.

Date:

Today after reading a story book. River decides to make a castle. She put a book on the table and tried to make a castle using scissors and paper. She is confident now. She was so confident today. She cut paper using the same pattern holding paper so tightly and moving around to cut into circle shape. She cut triangle and square shapes to make castle. Then stick it altogether to see how the castle looks like.

Date:

Today I gave her catalogue and asked River to cut some fruits and vegetables into shape. We were going to make a healthy food chart. She holds paper so gently and cut the paper into fruit shape and sticks it to the sheet. I observed she has ability of closing and opening hands and grasp and releasing the paper.
(print back-to-back)
Summary of what you noticed
I noticed that she was opening and closing her fingers and used right hand for scissor and left hand for holding paper. She was isolating fingers and combined movements of the thumb, index and middle fingers to keep these fingers moving separately from the ring and little fingers. Her hand and eye co-ordination was amazing. She has good control on her wrist and elbow. Her
Shoulder was stable and she has a good control on the scissors. While she was cutting the paper she kept her thumps up. River planned to make castle and flowers using scissors and she
Didn’t look at others for any clues. She didn’t swap her hands. I noticed when she was cutting catalogue she need a help in holding paper. She was feeling it difficult. She was trying to avoid this activity. She was not confident and was saying I can’t do it. So I noticed she has a difficulty to cut the paper from the magazine or catalogue. She can cut the paper which is drawn by her such as shapes triangle, circle and square. She has a good control on her wrist, palm of the hand and fingers.

Four possible intentional teaching experiences:

1. I tried to teach her how to hold scissor because she tried to put the whole fingers on one side of scissor.
2. I will teach her how to hold paper smoothly and release it while moving the paper around to improve her fine motor skills.
3. I will encourage her to cut out the pieces by turning the paper with one hand and keeping the scissors straight, rather than turning the scissors while cutting. It will improve her hand and eye co-ordination.
4. I will extend her interest by showing her example of cutting paper and so she can try the same and it will develop her encouragement.

Planning for Development: Cutting Skills Age Group:
Experience 1 Experience 2
Skill: using tongs to collect pom pom
Skill: making necklace with beads

a)Task: (what you want the child to do) (Link task to EYLF outcomes)

I will give them a container and tongs to collect coloured pom pom. Kids have to pick pom pom using tongs and put in the container. They have to match the
Same Colour of pompom. They have to put big and small size of pompom in separate container using tongs. Children used their play to investigate and explore ideas. Outcome: 4 CHILDREN ARE CONFIDENT AND INVOLVED LEARNERS.

b) How will you acknowledge the child’s effort to participate
I provide the resources to the children which offer surprise; encourage children to make their ideas. I will join in children’s play and listen carefully to expand their ideas. I will share child’s attempt with other children in positive way.

c)Your role: (include enthusiasm, encouragement, respect and safety)
As a carer role:
 I will show interest in what they are doing and saying.
 Use body language to provide suggestions and feedback.
 I will speak warmly and enthusiastically.
 Encourage and guide children to recognise and solve problems in appropriate ways.

• Allow children to play an active role in setting up and maintaining the environment.
a)Task: (what you want the child to do) (Link task to EYLF outcomes)

I will provide kids threading beads and coloured pipe cleaners to make necklace. Kids have to pick up coloured beads one by one and loop through the pipe cleaner. Threading with beads is a fantastic activity for promoting fine motor development in young children. It requires concentration, thinking skills, encourages the use of the pincer grasp between the thumb and forefinger and naturally strengthens the small hand muscles that are vital for holding a pencil to write with, cutting skills. Outcome: 4 CHILDREN ARE CONFIDENT AND INVOLVED LEARNERS.

b) How will you acknowledge the child’s effort to participate

I will provide sensory experiences with natural and processed materials. I will encourage them to represent their ideas. Will make the environment enjoyable and welcoming.

c)Your role: (include enthusiasm, encouragement, respect and safety)
I will draw attention to the children and support them to construct multiple solution the problems.
I will give them positive feedback and support.

Resources:
Container
Tongs
Coloured pompom
Big and small size pompom

Resources:
Coloured beads
Coloured pipe cleaners

Make copies as necessary)
Planning for Development: Cutting Skills Evaluation

Experience 1 Children liked this experience. They were excited to see little plastic tongs and coloured pompoms. They leaned about colours name by sorting them into same box. They leaned about big and small sizes by separating pompoms into containers. Using tongs they learned about opening and closing their hands. They learned how to hold the object and release it. This activity improves kids hand and eye co-ordination. This experience helps them in cutting skills activities.

Experience 2 Threading beads onto pipe cleaners is a fabulous fine motor learning tray activity for kids. It is so simple to set up, colourful, engaging and is sure to grab the attention of any child! Kids were so attractive to see these activities on the table.
The Threading Beads Learning Tray involves the child threading beads onto the pipe cleaners. It is a repetitive activity that requires concentration and fine motor control and coordination. Through this activity kids learn:
 Fine motor control
 Hand and eye coordination
 Concentration and problem solving
 Determination and perseverance to accomplish a task
 Colours and patterns

Follow Up strategies:

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I gave the answer to my most of question.

Description and Message:
I want to say thanks to L.A. for giving my ideas which help me to complete by assignment. I need little bit help with follow up strategies. can anyone please give help? I would be very thankful to you.
thanks in advance. :cry:
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: cutting with scissors

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 am

I am glad to hear that I was able to help you with your assignment. I've had a read through your assignment and your responses and you have done well. However for your observations there are still some details missing. I am only telling you this so you can do the best that you can. I’ve listed each of the OBS below as well as what I believe is missing in each one.

OB 1:
River was so excited to see scissors on the table.

How do you know she was excited? Did she smile? Did she squeal? You need to write exactly what you observed to make assumptions she was excited.
and scissors in the right hand.

How did she hold the scissors? Did she hold them the top with her thumb and the bottom with her middle finger?

OB 2:
She cut the paper in zigzag shape and stick it on the paper and then she cut the paper in long way for stick.

Explain how she was holding the scissors and which hand. Did she move the paper while cutting? Did she turn the paper?
I noticed her hand and eye co-ordination was great

How can you tell her hand coordination is great be more specific.

OB 3:
tried to make a castle using scissors and paper.

How did she do this? Did she draw the castle first?
She cut paper using the same pattern holding paper so tightly and moving around to cut into circle shape.

Which hand did she use? What pattern are you referring too?

OB 4:
She holds paper so gently and cut the paper into fruit shape and sticks it to the sheet.

Which hand does she hold the paper in? Which hand does she hold the scissors in?

The Summary Of What You Noticed is great! You listed a lot of descriptive information about what you observed. The information here needs to be recorded in the observations then summarised in this section. So far with your observations you have just added general details. Add some of these details to your observations and then list them in this section, like you already have.

For the Planning for Development tasks everything is well thought out. Just in regards to the EYLF Learning Outcome I would suggest the following for the second experience 3.2: Children take responsibility for their own health and physical well being.

For some follow up strategies you could do:
- Using pegs to peg hang clothes onto a line or using pegs to clip onto a piece of cardboard
- Use scissors with play dough to practice cutting
- Threading
- Transferring water from a cup to a bowl using eye droppers

The rest of your assignment responses are fine. You have come up with some great ideas for your experiences. I just wanted to help you out with a few pointers...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

ryan

Re: CHCFC502A - Cutting With Scissors

Post by ryan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 pm

thanks L.A it's getting hard to complete my diploma because there is no teacher at Tafe. one teacher called me and explained me on phone which helped me. but I appreciate your help I am feeling so relaxed. Thanks so much God bless you :kiss: