CHCFC502A - Cutting With Scissors

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ryan

CHCFC502A - Cutting With Scissors

Post by ryan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:52 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: chcfc502a
Your Assignment Type: Other
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
1. Choose one child aged between 4-7 years then:
a) Use the format to observe how this child approaches the task of cutting with scissors. You should complete four observations.(Template on next page)
b) Write a summary of what you have noticed about children’s cutting skills:
• Try to notice whether children:
- open/close their hands
- use a leading hand to hold & move paper
- isolate fingers so that ring & little finger do not move
- look at what they are doing - hand-eye co-ordination
- have stable wrist, elbow, shoulder
- are they cutting thumb up (not facing floor)

• How do children approach the task?
• Can you notice any planning skills being used
• Do children look to others for clues?
• Use dominant hand or swap hands?
• What are the common difficulties?
c) From your observations, outline four possible intentional teaching experiences to develop this child’s fine motor skills.
d) Plan 2 of the above experiences that focus on the use of scissors or fine motor skills to support later scissor use such as games with tweezers or tongs, tearing, fringing etc.
NOTE: Do not use stencils or activity sheets
e) Use the planning format to record:
- the skill - such as squeezing, finger isolation, stability, hand-eye coordination etc
- the task – such as fringing, snipping, picking up small items with tweezers etc.
- the resources you plan to use
f) Write an evaluation each of the 2 experiences and make any necessary adjustment to your plan.
g) At the conclusion of the two experiences suggest follow-up strategies

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Date: 23
Today I noticed river tried to cut paper in circle shapes. She was feeling hard to cut the paper with scissor. She has stable wrist and shoulder. She said I want to make house today. she tried to cut the paper in house shape.

Date:
Today she was more confident and excited to cut paper in round face. She draw a face with pencil and said that funny face for my happy house. She didn’t look other kids for clues. She said I love to cut the corner of paper. I asked what you are trying to make. She said that’s my shady tree.

Date:

Date:
(print back-to-back)
Summary of what you noticed
I noticed that river is so much confident in using scissor. She cut paper in round shape and said it s big volcano and a big warm fire coming out of it. She was moving paper now and even cut paper in zigzag shape and try to flower and said I show to my mummy. Now she can open and close scissor and tried to cut paper in shape such as triangle and square.

Four possible intentional teaching experiences:

1. I tried to teach her how to hold scissor because she tried to put the whole fingers on one side of scissor.
2. I will tried to give her shapes and asked her to cut the paper according to shape such as round, square and triangle.
3. I will give her tongs so she could learn opening and closing of scissor.
4. I will extend her interest by showing her example of cutting paper and so she can try the same and it will develop her encouragement.

Planning for Development: Cutting Skills Age Group:
Experience 1 Experience 2
Skill:
Skill:

a)Task: (what you want the child to do) (Link task to EYLF outcomes)

I w

b) How will you acknowledge the child’s effort to participate

c)Your role: (include enthusiasm, encouragement, respect and safety)

a)Task: (what you want the child to do) (Link task to EYLF outcomes)

b) How will you acknowledge the child’s effort to participate

c)Your role: (include enthusiasm, encouragement, respect and safety)

Resources:

Resources:

Make copies as necessary)
Planning for Development: Cutting Skills Evaluation

Experience 1

Experience 2

Follow Up strategies:

Description and Message:
hi friend I need a little help with my assignment. I was so sick so couldn't attend my class. can anyone give me some ideas about this assignment. thanks plzzzzzzzzzzzz :roll:
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: cutting skills

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:54 am

First off the question tells you specifically what you should be looking for during the observation. You haven't really mentioned anything about how the child use the scissors to cut, which had they used, what grip they used, if they held the paper while cutting, if they could cut around the shape or through it etc. So, you will need to re do this.

Fine Motor Skill experiences can include: play dough, threading, weaving, pegging pegs onto a clothesline, sewing, using tongs to transfer objects from one place to another, etc.

Try and write the observation again. Read the question...so you know what you are observing...

:geek:,
L.A