CHCECE023 and CHCECE024 Diploma

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
twins06

CHCECE023 and CHCECE024 Diploma

Post by twins06 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:30 am

Hello All can I please get some advice if I am on the right track with this question.

As an early childhood educator what is your role in relation to ensuring information is shared appropriately and with confidence in mind,

My response is .....

Confidential information is personal details we may not want to share with others. It can include our address, phone number, birth date or other personal information. It may also include information about our past or present health and development. Individuals have the right to keep information of this type private.
Educators routinely handle confidential information about enrolled children, families and staff. When managing sensitive information, it is important for centre directors, administrators and staff to be aware of their ethical and legal responsibility to protect the privacy of individuals and families.
As an educator I need to approach others in a professional way – that is, with a clear purpose and with no intention of causing any privacy or confidentiality concerns.
As an educator I need to follow my service’s confidentiality policies and practices to ensure information is shared appropriately with fellow educators involved with the child.
I need to implement strategies to ensure that children’s documentation can be shared with families and I need to follow confidentiality practices to ensure information is shared appropriately.
While the rights and desires of families to keep their personal details private are important, there are also some circumstances under which identifying information should be shared. These include:
Need to know basis - Staff who prepare and serve food should be fully aware of which children have food allergies and what each affected child is allergic to. Staff members who monitor the children in the playground should be aware if any children are allergic to bee stings, or if any children have a chronic condition which warrants especially close monitor¬ing during play
Known or suspected child abuse - Teachers are mandated reporters of child abuse. If a child in your care shows evidence of abuse or neglect, you must call Child Protective Services and report the situation. The CPS intake process requires disclosure of the child’s name, address, parents or guardians names, and possible additional details. In this situation, the child’s safety and welfare come before the family’s right to confidentiality.

Also another question I have attempted to answer but not sure on the right track is

Why is it important to include children in the decision making process when planning curriculum?

My response is ......

It is important to include children in the decision making process when planning the curriculum because children need to have the self confidence and skills to explore, take on new challenges, make mistakes and discover consequences. Self confidence will be evident when children are provided with opportunities to contribute to their own learning, sharing in the decision about what they do and how they do it. The types of decision making children can be involved in is if they want to play alone or in a group, if they want to participate in a quiet activity or a physical one. They can decide if they would like to do something independently or need assistance. Children can decide which materials they wish to engage with, what interests them and match their level of skill and understanding.

Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks