CHCECE020 - Ben - Behaviour Management Plan

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
TJ1993

CHCECE020 - Ben - Behaviour Management Plan

Post by TJ1993 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi there,

I have a question regarding CHCECE020. I need to write a behaviour management plan for the child I mentioned in my last post (Ben, aged four and a half, who is displaying aggressive behaviour towards other children including his own siblings) I have written up a plan but I am unsure if I am on the right track and I would like some feedback on the plan if that is alright? This is what I have so far but I am very unsure as I have never completed a behaviour management plan before.

Behaviour Management Plan and Guidance Strategies - Ben

1. Gathering information on the child’s background (such as family structure, health issues, developmental delays, culture and additional needs)
2. Identify behavioural indicators through observation and documentation. Providing detailed information
3. Identifying triggers and implementing strategies to reduce or eliminate these triggers. Being aware of these trigger signs
4. Prioritizing behaviour and acting on the most important behaviour first
5. Seeking feedback from other colleagues, staff and Ben’s family before implementing the plan and implementing any additional information or last-minute changes as necessary. Having them sign off on the plan prior to implementation.
7. Intervention how you want to change Ben’s behaviour directions given as a choice (“you can sit near me or with Helen”), positive feedback of others (“Harry is putting the blocks away. Good job, he’ll be ready for lunch soon”), give reminders of transitions (“time to pack away in 5 minutes”), reinforce positive behaviour (“you’re sitting quietly, good job”)
8. Detailing aims Aims detailing specific acceptable behaviour that you are aiming for.
9. Identifying support needed and from whom (family, community, professional support services) Using other professionals when necessary to help with behaviour guidance (such as the Preschool Field Officer (PSFO) or the Inclusion Support Facilitator (ISF))
10. Monitoring the children’s behaviour using observation methods (such as anecdotal records, jottings, running records, checklists, photos and learning stories) and dating each to keep track.
11. Evaluate the plan and including any changed that have taken place, that should take place, how well it worked and if any follow up is required. Using a self-monitoring system and reviewing progress at the end of each week
Strategies detail whether the strategy involves other children, the child's family or other staff. provide a quiet area to use when over stimulated, sitting near educator during

The guidance strategies that I will use to implement this plan include:
1. Empowering Ben and his classmates to use their language skills and other forms of non-hurtful communication to communicate their emotions rather than resorting to aggressive behaviour
2. Paying attention to Ben’s warning signs and triggers
3. Providing age-appropriate opportunities for Ben to regulate his own behaviour and supporting his attempts to self-regulate his behaviour (for example: using a waiting chair for popular activities and experiences or an hourglass for turns with a popular toy)
4. Before asking Ben to carry out a new activity independently, give him the opportunity to successfully practise it in a group setting or with a peer.
5. Planning and implementing social experiences with a small, specific group of children to allow Ben to practise his pro-social skills and conflict resolution strategies in a group setting.
6. Removing Ben from the activity and placing him in a time-out where appropriate
7. Time out intervention – directed away from activity When the child engages in inappropriate behaviour redirect or distract the child using another activity or task
8. Redirecting Ben to another activity when he engages in inappropriate behaviour
9. Using distraction and redirection strategies to move Ben to ano
11. remove Ben from an activity or experience when he engages in inappropriate behaviour
12. Actively listening to Ben, encouraging him to express his emotions verbally and acknowledging his feelings
13. Using age-appropriate discussion in order to convey clear, consistent and simple behavioural expectations, guidelines and consequences, to encourage Ben to use his language skills to resolve conflicts, to provide acceptable alternative behaviours that he could respond with next time and to assist Ben to reflect on his behaviour
14. Using natural consequences (such as) and logical consequences (such as if you) Waiting chairs without singling him out Natural and logical consequences will be applied (where age-appropriate). Using time-outs as appropriate based on the child’s behaviour, age and stage of development use positive approaches to behaviour guidance. Some of these include positive acknowledgement, redirection, giving explanations, encouragement, giving help, collaborating to solve problems and helping children to understand the consequences and impact of their behaviour Having Ben child do something to help the child who is upset or hurt (such as giving them a cuddle, or offering them the use of a special toy) Using distraction, discussion or redirection (redirecting Ben to another activity when a problem is anticipated) Responding to challenging behaviour firmly – actions are not acceptable. Immediate plans to defuse the situation
15. Modelling problem-solving and conflict resolution skills, positive supportive behaviour
13. Looking for natural opportunities to model calm-down strategies and problem solving for all students across the subject areas and throughout the school day Modelling positive supportive behaviour when assisting Ben to solve problems and resolve conflicts Modelling caring for environment and materials and assisting children to learn to care for them
14. Encouraging Ben and his family (including his mother and his carer Rebecca) to contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of limits and guidelines, and to suggest appropriate ways to address Ben’s behaviour.
15. Providing clear and reasonable limits so that children know what is expected of them and follow through to help them abide by the limits, using visual cue cards displayed at the child’s height and ensuring that these limits are consistent, carried out in a calm, firm manner, and consistently implemented and that children are guided and supported in managing their behaviour Set clear consistent guidelines giving simple explanations and offering alternatives so that a child can make choices.
16. Focusing on Ben’s strengths, abilities and achievements and providing positive, specific feedback
17. Using a concrete reward system based on Ben’s strengths and interests to promote and reinforce desirable and non-aggressive behaviours, encourage pro-social behaviour and re-enforce positive interactions with peers (For example, making a chart of appropriate behaviours, awarding stickers for each appropriate behaviour Ben displays and offering a favourite activity or special toy for Ben to play with during free time when he obtains three stickers)
18. Giving Ben special jobs to complete (such as assisting the educator to feed the centre animals or water the garden)
19. Positively acknowledging and praising Ben when he behaves in an appropriate manner
20. Addressing and validating Ben’s emotions when dealing with inappropriate behaviour
21. Providing a quiet, relaxing space for Ben to retreat to with cushions, pillows, blankets, books, music, soft toys/comfort toys and quiet activities to complete when he is feeling overwhelmed, angry or upset
22. Modifying the learning environment to minimise/eliminate Ben’s triggers, and ensuring the provision a sufficient amount of resources, materials and equipment to reduce conflict.
23. Re-organising routines as limit the number of children participating in each experience allow easy access to materials provide plenty of opportunities for active play (as well as a sufficient amount of materials and equipment that are interesting, stimulating and developmentally appropriate),
24. Guiding and supporting Ben to make appropriate decisions and share
25. Ensuring that the child has plenty of opportunities for active, physical play and cathartic experiences and maximise choices offered throughout the day.
26. Offering Ben opportunities to make age-appropriate choices and alternatives to allow Ben to make decisions and engage in managing his own behaviour, and encouraging and assisting Ben to make decisions for himself
27. Teaching Ben problem solving and conflict resolution strategies, using posters and cue cards displayed at the child’s height as a visual reminder be encouraged to work collaboratively to resolve conflict with the guidance and support of Educators.
28. Using visual physical cues such as holding up one hand ‘Stop’ or ‘Wait’
29. Modelling and establishing positive relationships with the children, and assisting the children to develop and maintain positive and respectful relationships with other children and the educators
30. daily program will be unhurried allowing children long uninterrupted periods for play and will allow children to make choices about play and play peers
31. Giving the children advanced notice of any changes to the routine or
32. Using developmentally appropriate positive language to promote and encourage positive behaviour (taking the child’s age and stage of development into account)
33. Ben will be told what they are required to do rather that what not to do. For example, Remember to walk when inside, rather than, don’t run when inside.
34. Monitoring the children’s behaviour using observation methods (such as anecdotal records, jottings, running records, checklists, photos and learning stories) and dating each to keep track.
35. Using a self-monitoring system and reviewing progress at the end of each week to ensure that the plan is working well and to identify any changes that need to be made
36. Providing environments that are developmentally appropriate reduce the need to take turns or wait for popular play materials
37. Arrange the room to include a combination of well-defined play spaces and take care not to make the room too visually stimulating or cluttered
38. Maintaining realistic, developmentally appropriate expectations of children’s behaviour at all times

Am I missing anything and if so, what?

Thanks in advance,

Tamara x

Lorina

Re: CHCECE020 - Ben - Behaviour Management Plan

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:01 pm

I think the strategies you have in your plan are good! You thought of everything haven't you!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:02 pm

I think now you just need to organise your strategies from what you can focus on now as short term goals and what you can work on which will take longer (long term goals)...

Lorina

TJ1993

Post by TJ1993 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:32 am

Thank you Lorina, I was a little unsure! :)

Thanks,

Tamara x

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:08 pm

You're welcome!

Lorina