CHCECE020

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
TJ1993

CHCECE020

Post by TJ1993 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi there,

I'm new here, my name is Tamara, and I have a question relating to CHCECE020 if anybody could help me? The question involves a case study on a child named Ben, who is 4 and a half and displaying aggressive behaviour towards other children (screaming, hitting, pretending to be a monster and frightening other children, and scratching). His only interactions with other children in the past few weeks have been aggressive (Since his parents separated) His comfort toy (Pokemon cards) has been banned at the centre and he becomes very upset when he is asked to leave them at home or give them to the director to take care of for the day. Throughout the case study, Ben frequently lashes out and in one case, spills a jug of juice on the ground and then hits another child in the face in an attempt to take a toy truck from that child, causing that child to become injured. Both educators are concerned with the child's injuries and neither makes any attempt to discpline Ben. The director, upon finding out about the situation, also does not enforce any consequences and Ben is allowed to play with the truck he had hit the other child to gain possession of.

I have written the following answer, but I have no idea if I'm on the right track, and I am unsure of how to word it:

The limits and guidelines for Ben include:
- Clean up after himself
- Express feelings using communication skills rather than
- Using communication skills to request a toy or a turn at an activity rather than resorting to aggressive behaviour
- Asking for toys rather than snatching them from other children (<Child> was playing with that first, you can have a turn once they have finished)
- Not displaying aggressive behaviour towards other children (We keep our hands/feet to ourselves and hands are not for hitting)
- Using acceptable pro-social skills to interact with other children in a socially acceptable way and not frightening or intimidating (Not frightening other children by pretending to be a monster)
- To stop bringing the Pokémon cards
- To let the director/educator put the cars away without argument
- Using language Participate in a minimum of two group experiences per day
- skills to initiate appropriate conversations with children and educators and not growling at them
- Not to use inappropriate language say the word dumb or stupid
- Clean up after himself (juice)
- Acceptable conflict resolution skills and problem-solving skills (e.g., “We use our words. We don’t hit, yell, scream, call names, say hurtful things”),
- Acceptable communication skills(e.g., hello, please, thank you, no thank you, how to listen when others speak, how not to interrupt when others are speaking),
- Use conflict resolution skills and communication skills rather than aggressive behaviour
The consequences for Ben include:
- Being removed from the activity for a set time-out (four minutes sitting on the designated time-out step)
- Natural consequences – If Ben brings his Pokémon cards into the centre, they may become mixed up or lost. Acknowledge natural consequences (not a punishment) ‘Looks like your juice has spilled. I want you to clean it up with this cloth’
- Applying logical consequences -
- Being ‘ignored’ when throwing a tantrum (provided it is safe to do so) and not gaining the attention he had hoped to
- Loss of privileges (unable to play with special toy)
- Apologise to child he has hurt/upset when sincere and do something nice for the child he has hurt/upset (cuddle, toy)
- Discussion with Ben
- Related or logical consequences – if he spills his drink, he must clean it up. If he is fighting over a toy with another child, the toy is put away for 10 minutes and then re-introduced.
- Ask children to make simple reparations for harm caused by their aggression
- Adults can help children find an action that is intended to “correct” the hurt or damage they may have done (e.g., help rebuild a knocked over block structure, replace a torn paper or crayons, say or do something friendly or kind)
- Ensuring all consequences are enforced at all time
This relates to the ECA Code of Ethics through the following principles:
- Respect the rights of children as enshrined in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (1989) and commit to advocating for these rights
- Work with children to help them understand that they are global citizens with shared responsibilities to the environment and humanity
- Acknowledge children as competent learners, and build active communities of engagement and inquiry.
- Act in the best interests of the children
- Listen to and learn from families, in order to acknowledge and build upon their strengths and competencies, and support them in their role of nurturing children.
- Develop partnerships with families and engage in shared decision making where appropriate
- Be sensitive to the vulnerabilities of children and families and respond in ways that empower and maintain the dignity of all children and families.
- Develop shared planning, monitoring and assessment practices for children’s learning and communicate this in ways that families understand

If anyone could help me with the wording of this answer and let me know if it's correct or if I need to revise it, that would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,

Tamara x