CHCECE017 - Scenarios: Mia & The Cubby, Environment & Science

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
NANDU
Participator
Participator

CHCECE017 - Scenarios: Mia & The Cubby, Environment & Science

Post by NANDU » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi all,

Could anyone please help me with these. I am finding this unit really hard. I have tried to finish most of it but need some assistance with this.
Scenario - The Cubby
Preschoolers, Dom, Ahmed, Aleah & Gia had spent the morning making a cubby on the verandah. They asked the educator, Lexie, if they could have their lunch in the cubby. Lexie agreed but on the proviso that the children put away all of the excess materials that they had accumulated whilst building the cubby.
“But there’s too much,” said Dom.
“Yeah, it will take forever and ever to clean up,” said Ahmed.
“I know”, said Gia. “The boys can pick up the blocks and the girls can pick up the blankets.”
“Ok”, said Aleah.
“No, that’s not fair”, said Dom,” there’re too many blocks.”
The children began to argue. Lexie intervened. “How about every one pick up four things and put them away and then we’ll see how much is left.” The children agreed.
“Well done,” said Lexie, “now let’s see… I can see two blocks, a blanket, two pillows and three boxes. “ Lexie then asked each child in turn what they would like to put away. In no time the area was tidy and the children were ready for their cubbyhouse lunch.

a) Were the choices given appropriate or inappropriate? Explain your reasoning and give an alternative choice where your response is that the choice was inappropriate.

Answer - I find it appropriate because the children were given an opportunity to have their lunch at the cubby house upon their request. The educator also made sure children help packing away and clearing the mess. The children distributed the work themselves and made sure it was tidy.
Is it inappropriate as they didn't have lunch at the designated place like at the table?

Scenario - Mia
Mia (8 months) has been hospitalised five times since birth. Mia was born eight weeks premature and spent the first 12 weeks of her life in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. She has a congenital heart problem and suffers recurring bouts of breathing difficulties. Mia’s teenage mother is a heavy smoker and casual drug user. Mia is often left in her cot for long periods of time.
c) List the key influencing factors on Mia’s development.
Answer - Mia is born premature so she needs more care. As she suffers from heart problem and bouts of breathing difficulties, she will need extensive care and attention. While she is left in her cot for long periods of time there is a lot of danger and possibility of her suffering from any of the medical condition and might even cause death. She might lack in overall development, but good care and nutrition would help her develop well.

Question 75
The concept of the environment as the 3rd teacher is particularly relevant as a strategy to support children’s development.

List the strategies that can be used to create an environment that encourages and supports exploration, investigation and problem solving.
I am unable to find the answer to this. Could anyone help me if it is in the text book as I don't have one.

Question 62 - Science Learning Centre
Plan for Teaching and Learning
i. Describe a series of four related experiences/challenges/tasks for the children to undertake that complement the Learning Centre. Ensure the experiences relate to the concept being explored and provide a rationale for your choice.
Experience 1:
Description and teaching strategies :
Rationale :

For i. can anyone please give one example so I get an idea how to answer?

ii. Develop a web plan of questions that you could use with children to explore their existing knowledge.

Please help..
Thank you.

Lorina

Re: CHCECE017 - Scenarios: Mia & The Cubby, Environment & Science

Post by Lorina » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:04 am

Is it inappropriate as they didn't have lunch at the designated place like at the table?

No, it's not inappropriate... It's fun to have lunch some place else and since the children suggested it, it's good that the educator was able to support their request

List the key influencing factors on Mia’s development.

You can also include:
- Mia's mum is a teenage parent who is a heavy smoker and an occasional drug user.

strategies that can be used to create an environment that encourages and supports exploration, investigation and problem solving.

Supporting Children's Development

Question 62 - Science Learning Centre

So, I think you need to create some science experiences... You can find some here:

Games and Activities

On the right hand side, you can filter to "science experiments" under the Games Category. Each activity will explain the materials needed, what to do, hints and tips and the science behind it...

ii. Develop a web plan of questions that you could use with children to explore their existing knowledge

The web questions you should ask depends on the theme of your science learning centre. If you are doing Space as a theme you can ask some questions like:

1) What planet do we live on?
2) How many planets are there?
3) Who goes to space?
4) What colour are the planets
5) How do we get to space?

Web questions is like using a mind map. In the middle of the page you add the theme "Space" for example (circle it) and from the circle add lines around the page. Under each line you add the children's response based on the questions you ask. Hopefully this makes sense!

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

NANDU
Participator
Participator

Re: CHCECE017 - Scenarios: Mia & The Cubby, Environment & Science

Post by NANDU » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:27 pm

Thank you very much Lorina. It was really helpful.
Really appreciate your response and help.