CHCECE016 - Scenario - Alcohol-related violence near the service

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
megs_95
Helper
Helper

CHCECE016 - Scenario - Alcohol-related violence near the service

Post by megs_95 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCECE016 - Establish and Maintain a Safe and Healthy Environment for Children
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
This is the scenario and related questions:

"You are the Authorised Supervisor in a 40 place long day care centre. It is the afternoon and the children are playing outdoors in the service's fenced off yard whilst waiting for parents to arrive.

The supervising staff notice two males who appear to be drunk in the park next to your service arguing. As your carers are beginning to call the children away from the area, the argument between the men escalates and a bottle is thrown from one male towards the other. It hits the fence where one of your children is standing. The child's fingers were clasped through the fence at the time and the bottle hits their fingers."

Explain in detail how you would deal with the scenario in relation to the following:
a) Obtain a copy of your centre's evacuation/lockdown procedure
b) Seeking medical assistance if required
c) Giving directions to staff
d) Meeting the emotional needs of the children and other staff
e) Reviewing the service's policies and procedures and changing as required
f) Inform parents about the situation

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I am able to answer each part - e.g. I have written in how I would go about seeking medical assistance, how to direct staff and so on. However in the marking guide it specifies that each answer is "related to own evacuation procedure" and I'm unsure how to do this. Would the service be locked down in this scenario? E.g., for giving directions to staff should I be saying something like "Give staff signal for lockdown procedure to begin, direct staff to take children inside via the closest route to the building and seat children away from doors/windows, close and lock all doors, windows and blinds" and so on? I'm really not sure, it doesn't specify in the scenario that a lockdown should take place...

Description and Message:

Lorina

Re: CHCECE016 - Scenario - Alcohol-related violence near the service

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:22 am

Yes, I think you'd have to put the centre on "lock down" since the men are pretty close to the centre and are drunk. Things could escalate and get worse so it's best to put the centre on lock down. It's probably necessary to inform the police and just stay in "lock down" mode until police arrive and move the men along... If you think harm will come towards the children and staff then it's always best to lock down the centre and get the police involved...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A