CHCECE002 Scenarios: Safe use of toys and equipment

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Qld_student

CHCECE002 Scenarios: Safe use of toys and equipment

Post by Qld_student » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi,
These are my answers for these questions/scenarios. Could you please comment on what I've done and what might be added? Thanks!

For each of the following scenarios, discuss whether these toys and equipment are safe to use in the area suggested. Give reasons for your answers.

Scenario 1
You have planned to use the parachute for some physical activity games during outdoor time, but it has been raining all day. The children were very excited and to avoid disappointing them you decide to move the activity inside.

I would not move the activity inside as there would be too little space and too many hazards that excited children could bump/run into, trip over etc.

Scenario 2
Your lead educator has set the water trough up in the 2-3 year old room in the middle of the indoor walkway.

I would state that this is not advisable as a wet walkway is a tripping/slipping hazard.

Scenario 3
The children in the preschool room have asked if they can get the carpentry tools and wood out to use on the verandah during outdoor play time.

This would need to be closely supervised because of the hazards that the tools present.

4. For each of the following scenarios, discuss whether you would remove any hazards immediately or secure the area to prevent children accessing the hazard. Give reasons for your answers.

Scenario 1
You have been called in to work in the toddler’s room for the day. On the daily program the educator has listed threading with beads.

I would substitute it for an activity that covers the same skill, ie fine motor control, because of the risk of children swallowing, inhaling, choking on the beads. Some centres have large wooden shapes for threading. This would be a safe substitute.

Scenario 2
During outdoor time one of the children in the 4-5 year age group tells you they have just seen a snake slither into the garden.

Immediately move the children to another location and call a snake catcher while someone acts as a "spotter" to see where the snake has gone.

Scenario 3
Overnight there has been a heavy rainfall and one of the small retaining walls in the yard has started to collapse. You have called the owner and he is on his way to fix it but it is the pre-schoolers outdoor time.

If a wall collapses, move the children out of the area and block off the area with a temporary barricade to ensure the children are unable to access it until it is repaired.

Lorina

Re: CHCECE002 Scenarios: Safe use of toys and equipment

Post by Lorina » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:42 pm

Here are my ideas on the above:

Scenario 1:
I often use the parachute inside on a rainy day. For this you will nee to clear a big space, move tables etc. For parachute play inside you could uplay music the children can shake and lift the parachute into to the music, add balls on the parachute for the children to bounce etc. But as long as there is enough room, you can use the parachute inside.

Scenario 2:
Yeah, I agree with you bad idea! Definetly a hazard which can cause a serious accident. Maybe you could suggest to move the water trough on the side next to the wall so it isn't in the walkway. It's also advisable to put a thick mat or towl under the trouch to soak up any water that falls as it's being played inside.

Scenario 3:
Yes! Wood and tools need to be closely supervised as children. You could limit the amount of children during the activity so it's easier to supervise. Children can take it in turns to play with these items.

--------------

Scenario 1:
:thumbup:

Scenario 2:
Yes, move all children inside. Ask child what area they saw the snake and to describe it. Get another educator to look at the location to see if they can spot it. Call animal handler...

Scenario 3:
Secure the area by placing cones/chairs in front of the wall so children doesn't go near it. Encourgae them to play well away from the wall.

Hope these help,

:geek:,
Lorina

cherry503

Re: CHCECE002 Scenarios: Safe use of toys and equipment

Post by cherry503 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Scenario1:-
As it is raining and children couldn't go out and do their planned activity .educator can explain them the reason and may choose any other topic of interest . She may be creative and pick the topic Rain and encourage children to contribute to the conversation and she may give them an idea of making paper boat and later they can put those paper boats outside

Scenario ;-
I agree with your answer

Scenario 3
as in this situation we can restrict the amount of children going outside by doing doing indoor and outdoor activity at same time